Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 April 2014, 01:24   #41

Town: N. Donegal
Boat name: g'wanyahureya
Length: 4m +
Henry,

Yep, I reckon probably under-powered for pushing full grown adults around in a decent swell. Very mindful of that around this stretch of water. Perfect for other pursuits I'd say. Again though, a beautifully clean example at the price...tells me that there may be more bargains? than expected at this lowly budget or similar. Then again, general market pricing does not indicate this and you'll get what you pay for ultimately...unless Luck plays her hand in it. Hard to know.
Old 22 April 2014, 01:49   #42

Folks, thanks for all the responses/suggestions/advisings/loaded+unloaded commentary/misc. on the "Budget vs RIB/Engine Combination" issue.

Will post more on this when there's anything worthwhile to report i.e. various trials or a definite purchase.

Some time on the forums I'd like to gauge current opinion (groan) on using tidal streams in real terms....to be feared by fast boaters (over distance) or sporadically accurate at best? Factual accounts, worthy reporting, rational theorising, and opposing viewpoints all welcome ...then I'm gonna read your arguments for and against with a good bottle of vines and some lightly herbed hake. Look out for the threa(t)d. Have a good holiday.

Hat Overboard
Old 24 April 2014, 16:26   #43

boristhebold,

just revisiting earlier posts, sound advice given there, so cheers man.

boristhebold: "Why not put toe in the water with something less capable and just go out in very easy weather and save up for something bigger. Or buy a completely shagged Rib and spend a couple of years rebuilding it.

or alternatively share the cost of a better rib with one or two others. Also lots of companies doing boat shares. And of course always the happy money lending banks. You dont want to spend a fortune or get into debt and then find you dont like boating."

(1) very few I'd trust enough to get involved in co-ownership, those I would are either skint or have no interest -even under the very best persuasive tactics, nobody wants the hassle debt no matter and can't blame them (2) going the smaller, less capable rib option is sound but would only serve to eat into hard-earned savings early on, thereby delaying potential aim of bigger purchase -old saws/perverbs everywhere today..."spend once and spend right" or "publish and be damned" or "you can lead a horse to water but you can't eat a boat", or some such. (3) wouldn't have the time or patience -never mind skill- to go for a doer-upper...this is more engine mechanics and GRP territory only, no hypalon/pvc retubing worth a damn around here.

Banks are part of the plan, unfortunately.

Tags
rib