Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Best slipway to launch from on the Menai Straights.

I'm staying at Benllech on Anglesey this weekend and would like to launch my rib somewhere on the Menai straights with 4 adults and 2 young kids , can any members that are familiar with Anglesey recommend a good launching site with parking , I have only ever launched from Conwy to cruise down the straights before .

Many thanks ,

kerny.
Old 09 September 2010, 13:14   #2

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
quote ----------

Save yourself the annual fee on Anglesey and go from mainland side of the Strait at White Cottage ( " Ronnies " ) at Ty Calch, just past Caernarfon Golf Club. Tractor in and out at all states of the tide, car parking, £15 a time. Bass fishing two minutes away. Gives you a good range for the day, up the west coast of Anglesey as far as Treaddur Bay or so, down the Lleyn to at least Nefyn, all the Strait and out to Puffin all pretty much within range in reasonable conditions. Chris Seddon who runs it is reliable and helpful, usually has frozen bait and sometimes fresh. No need to book, just turn up, although a phone call the day before seems reasonable. If the wind gets up a bit high for Caernarfon Bay you may have the option of the Strait with some shelter for those days too. Care needed to follow the channel out through the sandbanks into the Bay but its well buoyed, Chris will advise if you are not sure on the day. Chris 07917 859345
Old 09 September 2010, 13:29   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
rib launch

One of the best is by Porth Daniel/next to the Menai Suspension Bridge.

It is V. Sheltered from almost any direction.
It is just off the A55 so easy to get to for you.
It is almost fully tidal. You can launch at nearly all tides. (Though this week end are some of the largest tides of the year, 7.6m! so it won't be fully tidal this week end!) On the plus side they are at 1pm so you can right up in to the bays.
You can travel either NE or SW depending on which way the wind is and be protected. It would take about 25 mins at 30mph (ie 12-13miles) to get up the straits and round to bennellech, after seeing the seals and puffins at Puffin Island.

It is a slip owned by the council so you only need to register with the council at the site below, giving access to many other slips at beaumaris etc and it costs for the year:

How much does registration cost?

From the council direct - £15
At the slipway - £20

Customers who do not buy a seasonal launch permit with their registration will need to pay the registration fee plus the day's launch fee on their first launch. On subsequent launches they will only pay the daily fee.

http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/doc.asp?catid=4255

http://www.porthdaniel.co.uk/ Give then a call and ask them what the score is.

Have fund. I'm around Fri/Sat hoping to travel from Menai Bridge to Abersoch!
Old 09 September 2010, 13:51   #4

Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
I agree about White Cottage ( " Ronnies " ) at Ty Calch
Criss very helpful puts rib in the water and gives lots of help in a great way
stuart
Old 09 September 2010, 15:42   #5

Town: Harlech
Make: zapCat
RIBase
Holyhead is Better

There is a great free slip way at Newry on the sea front at Holyhead. The views of North and South Stack are fantastic, worth the 20 mile drive. If you need directions call me on 01341 241390.
Ray
Old 09 September 2010, 18:17   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
We were at Ty Calch a couple of weeks ago, you'll struggle to find a better launching outfit unless they start to do complimentary champagne. If the family are with you and you dont want faff launch there. They also recover you too, it's cheap and if you want to store the boat over night as we did the rates are very good too. We'll be going back to the Menai Strait to do more diving for this very reason.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2010, 18:54   #7

plenty of choice then!

just need the weather now
Old 09 September 2010, 19:21   #8

RIBase
Thanks very much guys , I think on saturday I will launch from Porth Daniel ,( might catch you there Paul ), then on sunday , I will give Ty calch a go because in October I want to do some Bass fishing especially if the marks are only 2 mins away . Ray I will keep Newry in mind for my next visit thanks again guy's .

Steve.
Old 23 September 2010, 05:54   #9

Town: Gas station
Make: Bombard
Engine: Mercury 60 HP
Hi, I am thinking about trying the "ronnies" launch as our first family trip out in the new rib. I am a little concerned about the tides having seen posts about walls of water?!!.

Planning a trip on the 21st October to look at puffin island and maybe some bass fishing. does anyone know where the mark is for bass fishing??
Old 23 September 2010, 08:34   #10

Walls of water, as seen from my 3.6 metre sib, may not scare the salty sea dogs on here, or bother a larger RIB, but made me think and keep the throttle pinned open. (9.9 metre tide that day, and it was on it's peek flow)... I would do it again, and might this weekend....

But the Menai is a relatively dangerous place, with stronge currents. The bonus been you are never too far from land... and lots of other small vessel around....

At full tide it is a magical place in my opinion....
Old 23 September 2010, 09:36   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsports1 View Post
Hi, I am thinking about trying the "ronnies" launch as our first family trip out in the new rib. I am a little concerned about the tides having seen posts about walls of water?!!.

Planning a trip on the 21st October to look at puffin island and maybe some bass fishing. does anyone know where the mark is for bass fishing??
Puffin isle is at the NE end of the straights and Ronnies is at the SW end. Its about an 18 mile passage. I advise you to do your homework on the straights before making this trip, if your new to the area and RIBing.

There are many sand bars enroute around Caernarfon and Beaumaris and between the bridges the swellies have caught many people out. Also rember the tide is aprox 1hr later at the SW end of the straight than at Puffin.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 09:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Puffin isle is at the NE end of the straights and Ronnies is at the SW end. Its about an 18 mile passage. I advise you to do your homework on the straights before making this trip, if your new to the area and RIBing.

There are many sand bars enroute around Caernarfon and Beaumaris and between the bridges the swellies have caught many people out. Also rember the tide is aprox 1hr later at the SW end of the straight than at Puffin.
I'd second that. The swellies are in the top few most feared bits of water in the uk. Whilst fine if you time it right and know what you're doing, for an unprepared solo first family run out, it could be a bad move.

I'd certainly recommend asking someone along who has done it before unless you have prior experience/navigation chart work skills!
Old 23 September 2010, 12:25   #13

I have my own favourite menai place to launch, but the slip suits my sib on transom wheels, my 1 seies bmw's going know where near it.... I can only just tug it back up on my own feet...

It's the waves near puffin island that got the better of me, the swellies are ok as long as you are in the channel and your engine is singing... channel is not obvious, I studied maps and asked for local advice, used upper half of tide.. my boat and I are 90 boat + 48 engine + 85kg me, and have a planning draft of 10 inches...
Old 23 September 2010, 12:44   #14

RIBase
I've been between the bridges (the swellies) a few times always between high and mid tide and I have always found it to be an eerie place to pass through . My question is , is it still deep enough to pass through safely at low tide or are there sand banks in the middle to be aware of , rocks you can see to avoid them but sand banks are another issue. Cheer's.
Old 23 September 2010, 12:56   #15

I can't recommend the Tough Charts enough for an open boater. Waterproof flip charts done for around Anglesey and LLyn Peninsula. They are the best thing i have bought for the rib.

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/pro...aultCatalog%29

Waves at Puffin and Caernarvon bar are very tide/wind dependant.

Bridges, there are no sand banks between the bridges, but plenty of rocks that you won't see.

You can pass through at low tide in a rib/sib but the margin for error heading north east by the white beacon and the main swelly rock is not large. Same for platters, a big flat rock that lurks just below the water at times in front of the cottage.

Below is a very useful simple leymans way of getting through and staying in the channel which is important at below mid tide heading NE. Quoted from http://www.caernarfon-hbr.demon.co.uk/swell_e.htm

Approach the South arch of the Britannia Bridge keeping the white pyramid (1½ cables East of the centre pillar of the bridge) in line with the centre of the arch. Pass under the centre of the arch (clearance is 90 feet / 27.4 metres at MHWS).
Head for a point midway between the white pyramid and Price's Point. When the pyramid is abeam you should then be on the transit given by the leading lights (two small lattice towers situated on the shore under the South side arch of the Britannia Bridge). The narrowest part of the channel in the Swellies is about 100 feet wide (30 metres) and is situated between the Cribbin Rock and the pyramid on the shore. At this point you will be passing quite close to the shore. Once on the transit, keep the leading marks in line until Price's Point Beacon is just ahead of the beam, then alter course to starboard so that you pass to the South of the Swelly Rock Perch (S. Cardinal) - distance off the Perch of about 20 to 30 metres. After passing the Swelly Rock Perch, head in for the point ahead (1½ cables East of Price's Point) keeping close in to the shore to clear the tail end of the Swelly Rock
Once past the point alter course so that you are heading just South of the Anglesey pillar of the Menai Suspension Bridge (to clear the Platters). There is a clearing line for the Platters - looking aft towards Price's Point, as long as you can see part of the archway on the North side of the Britannia Bridge open on Price's Point then you will clear the Platters. After passing the Platters (you will see a house abeam on the shore to starboard) head for the centre of the span of the Menai Suspension Bridge.

As for sandbanks at low tide. Follow the bouys tightly, especially out of caernarvon SW and from Gallows point to Puffin and you will be fine.
Old 23 September 2010, 13:23   #16

RIBase
The Tough Chart is on the xmas list thanks Paul for the link info and advice which is very helpful , its always better to get advice from people that know and use the area regularly .

Many thanks,

Steve .
Old 23 September 2010, 13:44   #17

its always better to get advice from people that know and use the area regularly .

I hope it's more regular than this year!! You're welcome.
Old 23 September 2010, 13:49   #18

RIBase
You've got all autumn and winter yet Paul .
Old 23 September 2010, 14:06   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Kerny,

Did I meet you at Tim's yard on Victoria dock Caernarfon a couple of months ago? Was you the guy that had a small prob flushing out your outboard motor?
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 14:14   #20

RIBase
Not guilty yoyo .