Old 05 August 2010, 14:57   #1

Town: copenhagen
Make: Avon SR 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: E-tec 90hp
Best RIB for the job

When buying a new RIB most people are limited by the gold in their pocket. That includes me. So for getting the most out of your money you need to spec. what you need and compare with the boats available. Pretty obvious but not so easy when you can't try all different makes. I would like pros/cons for different makes according to my needs below.

Must carry : min. 6 divers + 75+ kg of equipment per person.
Normal boat stuff/equipment.
A-frame
4-stroke engine
Range: Min. 60 nm
Speed: Cruising min. 22 knots (6 persons), max speed min 35 knots (1 person).
Weight
incl trailer: max. 1500 kg (aiming at 1200 kg)
Steering console: Single jockey seat with build in fuel tank. (should be as small as possible)

Operating area: around denmark, Max. 30 nm from shore.
Should be operational in 1-1.5 meter waves

Other purposes: Waterskiing, Fishing.

Must be able to handle by 1 person.
Tube diameter/seating height = as big as possible.

What RIB make would you suggest and why ?

I guess i don't need the deepest V-hull ever made since it's normally going to be used in good weather. I have had a 4.7m Avon SR for 12 years. It serves me well for 4 divers, and i like the seating height when sitting on the tubes, it's really comfortable. The hull is nice but maybe i could have lived with a bit flatter one, giving me a bit more effect from my 65 HP suzuki 2-stroke. I don't want a new boat with waterballast, it's not needed for my use.
Old 05 August 2010, 15:05   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I would think that you will need something around 6-6.5m to comfortably get 6 divers and kit on board. I would maybe look at a Humber ocean Pro 6.3 or similar with a decent sized single on the back.

The console position allows for a lot of kitting up space and will allow you to have a decent sized bottle rack fitted, the Ocean Pro is slightly wider as well.
Old 05 August 2010, 15:43   #3

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Like GordyP says, 6.3 Humber OP is a good boat for diving from, consider a larger console too, divers tend to require slightly better electronics (certainly the sounder).

Think of front access too, I've seen some off set consoles, remember a jockey console and seat is just as long as a wider one.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2010, 16:34   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
6 POB + 75kg each, that's equivalent to 12 people or nearly a tonne in weight
You'll need a decent sized motor to get that lot up on the plane.

I'd say a 6.5m with 200hp is going to be the bare minimum. Look for something quite beamy, it'll give you more room and should plane easier
Old 05 August 2010, 19:18   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post

I'd say a 6.5m with 200hp is going to be the bare minimum. Look for something quite beamy, it'll give you more room and should plane easier
You would think, but i regularly have 8 divers and kit where most guys are using twinsets. The arctic is certainly full but gets on the plane and cruises at 30 knts no problem, will still do 40 knts flat out. Thats one of the reasons for having twin engines, and also why I covet your rig!!!
Old 05 August 2010, 19:27   #6

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I disagree with the shallower beam spec as it conflicts with the requirement to operate in 1-1.5m waves.
This is a wave nearly 5.5ft high and thats pretty serious wind and wave action unless you are very close to shore (30nm being the operating range from shore in the spec)
Also spec'ing a boat means nothing unless you know the budget. Everybody is talking about twin engined 6.5m RIBs but can you afford one of these, I know at the moment I can't unless it is a very poorly equipped RIB and a very small motor.
A rough budget would make suggestions easier, at the moment it may be all pie in the sky as far as affordability is concerned.
Old 06 August 2010, 09:47   #7

Town: copenhagen
Make: Avon SR 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: E-tec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post

For the last 12 years my AVON 4.7 SR have been usefull for 4 divers. It's fittted with a 65 HP Suzuki 2-stroke.

with 4 divers + equipement incl 8 tanks the engine is on the small side. Despite it's under powered going 20 knots has been no big problem. You mainly fell it when taking the boat out of the water, this is a bit slow. Obviously the gear takes up pretty much all floorspace but it's a cheap boat for the job. Maximun distance from shore have been 16 NM (in nice weather). The SR has a pretty steap hull, but the 4.7m is only 2.03m wide. So it's doing Ok in waves but it's small.
Old 06 August 2010, 12:10   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Parker 6.3 (or now 6.5 I believe) would be something worth considering. Beamy and roomy yet with a deep V.