Old 05 June 2018, 09:52   #1

Town: cockermouth
Boat name: clemency
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 60
Best rib for my application

I am looking for advice about the the best rib for my use.
I like to visit the islands/remote peninsulas on the west coast of Scotland for hiking, climbing and paragliding. I recently took a Bombard Aerotech 380 out to Rhum and back on a day trip with 2 mates. I realised this was too small for this sort of use so have got myself an Avon sr5.4, ex military rib with a new Suzi df90 on the back.
I want to be able to take me and 3 or 4 mates plus gear out for 2 or 3 day trips and have the option of winching the boat up the beach on inflatable rollers while we explore the mountains.
I only ever go out in relatively fine weather but of course I understand it is possible to get caught out and have to cope with some weather.
I am looking for that perfect sweet spot in size of boat that combines enough space, low fuel use, light weight for bringing ashore. Basically I want the moon on a stick.
Can anyone suggest an alternative rib that it would be worth swapping the new motor onto that would tick more boxes for me than the sr5.4. I am concerned that it is a bit too old and heavy with too deep a vee for my application. Would something like a Valiant 520 or a Bombard Explorer be more suited to this use?
I welcome your suggestions.
Thanks. Chris
Old 05 June 2018, 09:58   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Personally I wouldn't compromise on the deeper V. Even in good weather, the sea conditions on the west coast can be challenging due to currents/overfalls etc. If you are going to start beaching a RIB, you need to be prepared for hull scuffs, no matter how careful you are. I'd be tempted to use the visitor moorings & pontoons that are popping up around the west coast & get a small tender.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2018, 11:38   #3

Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I have a suitable boat already and need to forget beaching and perfect my anchoring.
Another consideration is that this boat doesn't appear to have room for an aux motor. Would that bother you if running a well maintained new motor on the back?
Old 05 June 2018, 11:59   #4

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Personally I wouldn't compromise on the deeper V. Even in good weather, the sea conditions on the west coast can be challenging due to currents/overfalls etc. If you are going to start beaching a RIB, you need to be prepared for hull scuffs, no matter how careful you are. I'd be tempted to use the visitor moorings & pontoons that are popping up around the west coast & get a small tender.

+1

The weather is not that well forecast on the west coast in particular their wind predictions. Regularly the wind is way in excess what was forecast and can whip up some pretty nasty overfalls in the currents.

My first year was with a shallow "V" 520 Seapro with a 75HP and if you pardon the pun..."it was completely out or it's depth" and things weren't going to end well if I didn't move on.

Regards the aux. I wouldn't go out without one. I've heard some people say "it'll get you to the shore"......on the west coast that's probably the last place you want to be and the aux is more likely to be used to keep you off it rather than get you there. You really want to be as "self reliant" as possible.
Old 05 June 2018, 12:16   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemency View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I have a suitable boat already and need to forget beaching and perfect my anchoring.

Another consideration is that this boat doesn't appear to have room for an aux motor. Would that bother you if running a well maintained new motor on the back?

To aux or not to aux, that is the question. My last boat had twin engines, the ultimate "aux" setup. The current BP has a single, no aux. I don't feel that I need one (that's going to come back & bite me[emoji849]) I'm happy to have crossed the Irish Sea, from France to Alderney via the race (in full spate) & out to St Kilda. All be it the Ireland & St Kilda trips were in company (a much better option than an aux imo)
It's down to personal taste & attitude to risk, personally I think auxiliaries present more real problems than the theoretical one they may solve. But that's just my opinion.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2018, 12:38   #6

Came back from Ireland myself on Sunday.

The aux isn't a panacea for total confidence but it does help.

I don't find it causes any issues what so ever.

It lives, clamped to the transom tilted up, internal tank with a "change over" valve to run it from the main tank if need be.

To be honest it's never been used in earnest but it helps knowing it's there, that still have a 5 knot option and I wouldn't have crossed the North Channel on my own without it.
Old 05 June 2018, 14:16   #7

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Came back from Ireland myself on Sunday.
Sorry to go completely off topic. We’re you in Dublin by any chance?

Along with several under-inflated/overloaded small ribs there were a few “more serious” looking ribs on the Liffey when we were looking at the tall ships.
Old 05 June 2018, 14:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
Sorry to go completely off topic. We’re you in Dublin by any chance?

Along with several under-inflated/overloaded small ribs there were a few “more serious” looking ribs on the Liffey when we were looking at the tall ships.
No.

Rathlin, Ballycastle and Cushendall. ..Rathlin is absolutley awsome!!
Old 05 June 2018, 15:00   #9

Rathlin is on my list.
Did you stay overnight?

(My list far exceeds my available time.)
Old 05 June 2018, 15:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
Rathlin is on my list.
Did you stay overnight?

(My list far exceeds my available time.)
Stayed at Ballycastle....getting accommodation was a nightmare.

Putting a video together just now and once that's finished I'll post with more detail of the trip.
Old 05 June 2018, 16:30   #11

Clemency, sorry the brief hijack of your post.

I don’t beach my boat but SR 5.4 are very well respected and I don’t think anyone ever wishes their had a shallower V on the hull.
If the boat is sound then your new engine is a very good start for reliability.

For beaching you may want to invest in a KeelGuard. Expensive the day you buy it but well worth it I think, having seen the keel on one rib abraded away back to the fiberglass matting along several inches from beaching/clunking into the submerged edge of a slip.

Why not run your current set-up for a while and see if it meets your needs?
Old 05 June 2018, 19:50   #12

Length: 7m +
If engine well maintained and spare suply of fuel just in case then no worries. As to boat I wouldn't contenplate a valiant over an SR5.4, in my humble opinion the SR5.4 is perfect for your application as like others have said the weather can change up there. Perhaps do up the sR5.4 a tad.
Old 05 June 2018, 22:28   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
If engine well maintained and spare suply of fuel just in case then no worries.

Well I’m not sure I’d go as far as NO worries. Those things and a little troubleshooting knowledge are certainly going to help, as is a good anchor with plenty of line. On the south coast where other folk are usually around and there are numerous lifeboats and seastart then yip, no worries. In remote parts of the west coast my lack of aux is definitely a consideration, perhaps even a concern!

Of course an aux might just give you a false sense of security - heavily laden a SR5.4 with a flooded hull isnt going anywhere fast in poor conditions with the size of aux you can fit on a SR.
Old 10 June 2018, 20:00   #14

Thanks for all the info folks. I can't see any room for an aux at all on the transom as the A-frame takes up all available space.
I guess the key to safety without an aux motor is knowing your motor inside out and keeping it in top order.
As for beaching vs anchoring; on reflection I think I just need to get some confidence in anchoring rather than dragging half a ton of boat out of the water without a trailer.
On another matter; how can I find a list of harbours/ports/marinas that sell petrol on the water up on the west coast. My boat only has 2x 25l portable tanks at the moment. I may buy another couple to give me a 100 litre capacity but it would still be nice to know where I can re-fill up there without hauling out and driving to petrol station.
Old 10 June 2018, 20:35   #15

Hi

The Crown Estates publishes a free magazine every year called "Welcome Anchorages" that gives a lot of info on marinas, harbours and what facilities there are at the various locations. I normally just find one when I'm out and about but you might be able to get it online.

That aside, if there's any specific place you're aiming for just ask on here and someone will have local knowledge.
Old 11 June 2018, 10:03   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
In my opinion - even with 4 people you'll struggle to move a Searider 5.4, full laden unless of course you're using a hand-winch and a suitable fixed point. I've seen these inflatable boat rollers, but a Searider 5.4 must be in the 500kg territory with engine, fuel, provisions and kit for 2-3 days?

Your best bet is to to look for a sheltered cove and drop anchor, then move passengers and kit to land with a tender. Avon tenders such as Avon 8, Redstart and Redcrest are perfect as they roll-up, use hypalon material, multiple air chambers and don't have a fixed wooden transom, and are rowable.

On the west coast (I'm talking outer Hebrides and Lewis primarily), then the weather is completely unpredictable and a you can still get a heavy swell from a storm 2-3 days after.

There are lots of deep-shelving beaches, but some are so shallow that you could be moving the boat for some time if you wanted it out of the water completely.

My thoughts on an auxilliary engine is I wouldn't be without one. I can be out on the west coast and never see another boat, and VHF radio transmission can be flaky.

Pretty sure these boat rollers won't work as just rated for 400kg.

Just my tuppence worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Searider Weights.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	125218  

Tags
rib