Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 August 2006, 18:20   #1

Town: Torpoint
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75hp
Best position for fitting console?

Just got a centre console for my 4m Avon Searider.

Couple of questions if anyone can help.

(1) How far forward it should go?

The easiest option seems to fit the front of the console up to the raised hump which runs across the width of the floor just as the bow begins to curve, or should I go further forward and cut notches from the console either side to fit?

(2) Are throttle controls usually reversable? - mine's on the left at the moment but I'd prefer to fit it on the right where the fixing holes already exist on the console.

(3) I've got a couple of ex-mod petrol tanks which will fit nicely in the console under the seat - will this cause problems if I put the battery in there too?
Old 26 August 2006, 20:54   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
can't help with sr specifics - but of course there are plenty of people here who can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhope
(2) Are throttle controls usually reversable? - mine's on the left at the moment but I'd prefer to fit it on the right where the fixing holes already exist on the console.
Yamaha ones certainly are - I assume they all are. The yam ones are slightly less cosmetically appealing if mounted on the right of the console.
Quote:
(3) I've got a couple of ex-mod petrol tanks which will fit nicely in the console under the seat - will this cause problems if I put the battery in there too?
doesn't sound like a great idea. If you have a leek and a spark i think BogMonsters boat was like this when he bought it and he is now modifying it. would be best to keep electrics away from any enclosed space that may end up with a fuel vapour. In reality your battery gives off hydrogen as it charges though so keeping it in an air tight space and getting sparks is not good anyway.
Old 26 August 2006, 21:20   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
doesn't sound like a great idea. If you have a leek and a spark i think BogMonsters boat was like this when he bought it and he is now modifying it. would be best to keep electrics away from any enclosed space that may end up with a fuel vapour. In reality your battery gives off hydrogen as it charges though so keeping it in an air tight space and getting sparks is not good anyway.
It was - I haven't done it yet, I'm waiting for the new double jockey seat to arrive from Humber and then I'll be fitting the battery in there. I'd actually like to move the fuel tank to the second seat because then it would be totally away from all electrics - but I don't think I can get the tank out without taking the whole console off the deck and I don't really want to do that because the console is bonded down and I'd be bound to break something...

The worst bit on mine was the fuel tank breather which was p*ssn fuel out everywhere ... fuel sloshing over the battery ... now fixed!
Old 26 August 2006, 21:26   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
For a moment I thought I was going mad as I replied to this thread ealier. For some reason its apeared in duplicate. Is it possible for JK to put it together as one thread?
Old 30 August 2006, 08:39   #5

Town: Torpoint
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Mariner 75hp
Console fitting

Avon informed me that the position that they fix their centre consoles is 90cm back from the bow at floor level, which is more or less up to the raised ridge on the floor.

Also managed to reverse the throttle control quite easily.

Just need to sort out the issue of fuel and battery.

I'll post some pictures for anyone thats interested when I get it all together.

Thanks all.

Neil
Old 30 August 2006, 15:41   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Avon informed me that the position that they fix their centre consoles is 90cm back from the bow at floor level, which is more or less up to the raised ridge on the floor.
That's where I fitted my console-it seems ok there.

Quote:

Also managed to reverse the throttle control quite easily.

Just need to sort out the issue of fuel and battery.
I've got a battery box in the stern on mine-that way there's some stowage space in the console and I can still fit 2x25l tanks in there. and there's room for a 30l hulk tank strapped in the bow too.I cut the rear of my console so it's open so no worries about fume buildups.

Whatever you do you'll have to fit some wires in there unless you don't have nav lights or a bilge pump

Quote:

I'll post some pictures for anyone thats interested when I get it all together.

Thanks all.

Neil
I'd be interested in seeing that

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote