Old 03 August 2006, 11:07   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Chichester harbour is a great place, and very busy. They need to make sure that it is run safely, and that people pay their way. I have no problem with that. Before the Colonel took over it was barely managed at all and things obviously needed to change, but it's the attitude that lets them down.

It doesn't have to be like that though. Take Dartmouth for example. Another very busy harbour with a wide mix of users. My experiences of the patrols there have always been efficient and friendly, with no attitude. Even the Met police on the Thames are better!

John
Old 03 August 2006, 13:28   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Last week in Portsmouth they were towing a 21 yacht up against the ebb with that funny dory thing and they had the blue light going ! Seems some people just love a bit of authority they can tell others what to do . Traffic warden mentality . Small people with small minds .,
Old 03 August 2006, 18:44   #23

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I agree with John. the Harbour Masters representatives in Chichester Harbour act like little Hitlers. This was made clear in a previous thread of mine.

As I have previously stated they seem quite happy to stop the small boats but scared stiff of the big motor launches.

I would quite happily eat my words if I saw that a large motor cruiser had been fined.
Old 04 August 2006, 03:00   #24

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Speed Limit in Portsmouth Harbour

Am I correct that the speed limit in Portsmouth Harbour is 10 knots?

On Thursday a/noon I visited the spinnaker tower and was amazed at the number of boats that were doing well over that.

I noticed one rib enter the harbour in the small boat channel and then cross the harbour entrance and enter the camber at speed. I always thought that one had to cross from ballast to the camber / gunwharf. Do you still need permission?
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2006, 08:32   #25

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M
Am I correct that the speed limit in Portsmouth Harbour is 10 knots?

On Thursday a/noon I visited the spinnaker tower and was amazed at the number of boats that were doing well over that.

I noticed one rib enter the harbour in the small boat channel and then cross the harbour entrance and enter the camber at speed. I always thought that one had to cross from ballast to the camber / gunwharf. Do you still need permission?
Yes the speed limit is 10 knots. I know that my boat is planing at that speed (just!) and hovers between that and about 12.5kn depending on wash from other craft etc.

The rib crossing is allowed to do that but should have permission from QHM (Channel 11) first, they are generally pretty good and just advise on traffic movements that you need to be aware of. It is still a 10kn journey though!
Old 04 August 2006, 13:20   #26

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER
Seems some people just love a bit of authority they can tell others what to do . Traffic warden mentality . Small people with small minds .,
so true
Old 04 August 2006, 15:17   #27

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
The rib crossing is allowed to do that but should have permission from QHM (Channel 11) first, they are generally pretty good and just advise on traffic movements that you need to be aware of. It is still a 10kn journey though!
Permission from QHM is from ballast to portsmouth side not across the mouth of the harbour though?

Re: People in uniform - I am not or ever have been an "official" in a uniform, however surely if they stop you it's because you've done something wrong? They may be a little frustrated I guess 'cause they see lots of idiots doing crazy things.

I don't have a problem with traffic wardens, if I park in the wrong place then I'll get a ticket - it's easy. I do have a problem the the council who put parking restrictions everywhere though!
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote