Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
As to your big boy .. I have seen the fighting claw from a similar size caught by an old worthy in my bay, he got it from an area of sand bottom between some reefs.....he assisted me in learning the craft years ago... No one would really believe they exist at that size but they sure do ... thats one of the privileges of diving
Pulled this one up off a wreck in the North Sea, first dive of the weekend so we put it in the galley freezer. This claw alone made a meal for both me and the wife!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobby.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	94369  
Old 09 May 2014, 20:56   #22

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Come to daddy!

Quote:
thats why I'm asking.
More bodywork repairs than a '78 Vauxhall Viva... but the salvaged pots still work!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lobster.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	94370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	94371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster2.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	94372  
Old 09 May 2014, 22:19   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Pulled this one up off a wreck in the North Sea, first dive of the weekend so we put it in the galley freezer. This claw alone made a meal for both me and the wife!
Yep that looks a good 'un

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
More bodywork repairs than a '78 Vauxhall Viva... but the salvaged pots still work!
Didn't mean to diss your post fella .. just trying to buy some latest tek .. so I get a longer lie in whilst the crusty boys go for the bait
Old 09 May 2014, 22:59   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Does the taste suffer at that size/age?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 06:02   #25

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Here in the USA most folks use a leaded line to keep it underwater and a nice bag aka buoy to refind it.

One of the requirements here for traps is also that they have the main door tied shut with line that deteriorates after a couple of weeks, that way if the trap is lost, due to a prop cut or storm movement/waves breaking the line, the pots will not continue to kill for years to come. Instead after a couple of weeks, the line fails, and creatures that crawl in, can crawl back out.
Old 10 May 2014, 08:25   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Does the taste suffer at that size/age?
Still tastes good, a tad meatier in texture. Lobsters are very slow growing at around 1kg/10years, I reckon mine was around 60yrs old. It was born around the time the wreck went down in WW2. Slightly sad, but he had a noble send off
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 19:05   #27
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Along side wrecks is a good spot for lobbys. Biggest beast I ever had was a 14 pounder which was walking across the seabed as I descended to the wreck, I just dropped on it & bagged it. Fed us for 3 days, 1001 ways with lobster I think the dog even got a look in.

PS, Sorry Bigwuz, thread drift & I can tell you're getting tetchy
Yep, wrestled a monster a few years back off a wreck in scapa. The litter picker was a formidable weapon for lobsters and helped keep some distance barely fitted in the mesh bag we used for getting scallops!
Old 15 May 2014, 21:37   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Big Blue

I've met two animals like this over the years. I described them to others as "as big as Jack Russells with claws". We are obliged to leave them in peace here, but I would never have had it any other way - image the eggs a mature beast like that produces! It will never fit in a pot - it's free to reproduce itself, a prime example of it's species - a true king of Crustaceans...

...and then some tw@t eats it
Old 16 May 2014, 01:39   #29

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
a true king of Crustaceans...

At least it got eaten. We have a couple of trophy hunters here, that just like to kill, but don't eat fish or abalone, so they gift everything. It does get eaten, but not by the people doing the hunting. They call it a "sport" and like to use terms like slaying. Abalone are a snail, and don't more very fast, so not really sporting in my book. Don't get me started...I am all for sustainable take, and have many friends who hunt, cook, and eat their fresh kills.

I have a photo, of a an older photo from the early 1900's, taken by fisherman on the Pacific coast. It shows a catch of fish like I have never seen in my life, and I scuba dive fairly often. All the BIG old fish have been removed from the ocean...kinda like our "Old Growth Forests". An incredible site to see when you are lucky enough to see a GIANT.
Old 16 May 2014, 09:28   #30

Town: Onich
Boat name: Not yet bought
Make: Unsure
Engine: Unacquired
Quote:
one person so far has struck one of the gold nuggets as far as placement is concerned
Go on Bigmuz, do tell ... I've been dropping pots in Loch Linnhe for 15 years and caught every shade of crab under the sun, plus langoustines, but never a single lobster! Paul at Linnhe Marine says that there aren't any lobsters northwest of about Shuna, but I can't see why they should be that fussy and I've tried all kinds of bait and all kinds of habitat in my search for one. It's getting to be a bit of an obsession so all tips gratefully received!
Old 16 May 2014, 14:25   #31

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnhe Lascar View Post
Go on Bigmuz, do tell ... I've been dropping pots in Loch Linnhe for 15 years and caught every shade of crab under the sun, plus langoustines, but never a single lobster! Paul at Linnhe Marine says that there aren't any lobsters northwest of about Shuna, but I can't see why they should be that fussy and I've tried all kinds of bait and all kinds of habitat in my search for one. It's getting to be a bit of an obsession so all tips gratefully received!
I'm led to believe that there is too much fresh water entering Loch Eil and Loch Linnhe for Lobsters

This pearl of wisdom came from a prawn fisherman on the loch.
Old 16 May 2014, 14:35   #32

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
While sole fishing in Poole Bay last summer with small fine wire hooks and ragworm baits my mate hooked this 7lb lobster.

Was a big surprise to all of us on board. Never seen one caught on rod and line before
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	94697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1129.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	94698  
Old 16 May 2014, 14:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I'm led to believe that there is too much fresh water entering Loch Eil and Loch Linnhe for lobsters.
Surely the little blighters aren't THAT sensitive??!! I catch bucket loads of brown crabs, velvet crabs, spider crabs, you-name-it crabs ... and plenty of langoustine (well, I did until one of the commercial boys noticed where we were dropping our pots and came and laid a string right across it - they're almost wiped out there now ). And we catch all the usual sea fish, cod included, and even squid when we're in luck! (Plus the odd conger in the langoustine pots )

So how the Dickens can the water be salty enough for all that lot but too fresh for Larry the Lobster? I'm off for a quick Google!
Old 16 May 2014, 14:52   #34

diver_1 - that is HUGE! If I caught one that size I think I'd motor back and nip up to the house for an air rifle! (Actually not sure it would be able to get into our pots.)
Old 16 May 2014, 19:13   #35

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
(Plus the odd conger in the langoustine pots )
Good eating is conger, very underrated
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 21:42   #36

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
This is primarily for an answer to this question
from

Linnhe Lascar

anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
In my experience, lay them near rocks and kelp. Lobsters don't like to go walk about on the sandy bottom

Speaking as a west coast 'sometimes' fisherman.... Yes and no ... You must set in a tidal area ,, but due to coastal variation .. it could be on a rock face , or on the bottom, but you may lose the pot if the tidal sweep is too savage

If you set in a bay bounded by rock .. especially on the west coast , this is good .. but one mistake you have made is that they 'do' like sand ,, small patches in amongst tangle are best .. if you can find small holes in between tangle .. drop a pot with some mackerel bait .. and you will have something usually As scavengers , lobsters will pick off the easiest prey .. but they are hiders and like to remain hidden before exposing themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnomad View Post
. Deepwater rock channels and headlands are best.
This is the gold standard for lobsters ... (on the west anyway) Deep water rock channels .. if they are scarce .. heres where you will find them , but it must still be tidal although generally never exposed

As a good mariner, you would be expected to know your coast well enough to know these areas

The higher flow of water brings them food ? simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've met two animals like this over the years. I described them to others as "as big as Jack Russells with claws". We are obliged to leave them in peace here, but I would never have had it any other way - image the eggs a mature beast like that produces! It will never fit in a pot - it's free to reproduce itself, a prime example of it's species - a true king of Crustaceans...

I have some sympathy with ye fella .. these are some very old crustaceans ,, and I has a certain affinity for them and their age .....I never lift or keep any lobsters with eggs .. that said in defence of the lads ,, the older monsters probably get past an age of reproduction, much like the rest of us

Quote:
Go on Bigmuz, do tell ... I've been dropping pots in Loch Linnhe for 15 years and caught every shade of crab under the sun, plus langoustines, but never a single lobster!
HTH fella
Old 17 May 2014, 10:55   #37

Thanks Bigmuz

Good tips there. I'm going to hunt out some rocky spots, going to have to put a bit more imagination into it I think (I basically drop in the area SW of Corran narrows because it's an easy run from my home mooring and there's a good supply of big brown crabs ... but I'm going to study my charts a bit harder!)

Thanks again
Old 17 May 2014, 11:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Good eating is conger, very underrated
I've got a great recipe for conger

Skin the conger, put it in a stew pot, bottle of white wine, three potatoes, 16 carrots, little chicken stock, bunch of fresh thyme, paprika, and one old sea boot. Put the whole lot in the bottom Aga for 3 days, get it out, check the consistency (add more wine if it's got too thick), throw the conger away and eat the seaboot!!
Old 17 May 2014, 11:01   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
someone told me that it you use old bait you won't catch lobster, they are picky and like their food fresh! He also said that once you have used a pot with old bait it is ''tainted" and will ''smell" of the bait to less likely to catch lobster in that pot even with fresh bait.
Old 17 May 2014, 12:47   #40

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
A friend of mine uses cat food as bait, very frowned upon but its nice and clean.

He uses small tins pierced with a nail a few times, the smell/juices leak out and the small crabs don't eat all the bait before the big boys come along.