Old 24 April 2011, 11:52   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
That's my experience - if they don't want to play, they just disappear and then usually resurface a few hundred yards away. Admittedly I've no experience of how they behave with lots of boats in the same area.
I agree, they either play or dive and ferk off. IMV, the only way that we'll influence the behavior of a Dolphin is to put 'em in a tank or subject them to a few million quids worth a Naval sonar.
Old 24 April 2011, 15:41   #22

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Enough said

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-13181070

and no I didn't call anyone. I just buggered off and left them to it....
Old 24 April 2011, 16:35   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Grass!
Old 25 April 2011, 20:15   #24

Town: Rotherhithe, London
Length: no boat
This thread has been cross-posted to Yorkshire-Divers, so as a reasonably competent diver, but not that competent rib (part-)owner, I thought I'd reply to his thread as I was there. And it never hurts to let the facts get in the way of a good story

My club was down in Swanage the last four days on Swanage Diver and yes we saw the Dolphins. However, (as both UK and Red Sea skippers know) the way to get Dolphins to play is to maintain a steady speed and a steady course and then they come and play in your bow-wave. Which is what Swanage Diver did on the way back to the Swanage Bay.

There ended up being quite a few boats coming to have a look (including our club boat cox'ed by me - but from a distance). By and large the boats were doing a few knots and watching the dolphins coming up to play all around them. But if there was a problem, it was the four or five jet-skis which were buzzing over the top of the dolphins. The dolphins can easily get away from a dive boat if they want to, but those jet-skis can turn on a six-pence and have the speed to get very close very quickly.

Certainly I don't think Swanage Diver did anything wrong.

Janos
Old 25 April 2011, 22:38   #25

Length: 7m +
Well I'm still stuck on the shore due to a new starter motor sat in customs in midlands airport, am getting sick of this lovely weather and not be able to be out there. Regarding the abuse from the dive boat not exactly helpful especially as they often rely on people like us to help them look for missing divers when they go floating off with the tide.
Old 26 April 2011, 12:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos View Post
This thread has been cross-posted to Yorkshire-Divers, so as a reasonably competent diver, but not that competent rib (part-)owner, I thought I'd reply to his thread as I was there. And it never hurts to let the facts get in the way of a good story

My club was down in Swanage the last four days on Swanage Diver and yes we saw the Dolphins. However, (as both UK and Red Sea skippers know) the way to get Dolphins to play is to maintain a steady speed and a steady course and then they come and play in your bow-wave. Which is what Swanage Diver did on the way back to the Swanage Bay.

There ended up being quite a few boats coming to have a look (including our club boat cox'ed by me - but from a distance). By and large the boats were doing a few knots and watching the dolphins coming up to play all around them. But if there was a problem, it was the four or five jet-skis which were buzzing over the top of the dolphins. The dolphins can easily get away from a dive boat if they want to, but those jet-skis can turn on a six-pence and have the speed to get very close very quickly.

Certainly I don't think Swanage Diver did anything wrong.

Janos
Janos - I have read the cross thread .... in perspective I tried to call on CH16 - but no response , I came up alongside and said and I quote ' I'm wondering if your getting a bit too close to the pod' very polite , calm , quiet ......

As for me telling anyone .... I didn't .. clearly someone else was concerned the following day... maybe you can let the truth be the story - you weren't there listening so why dont you f'off with your half arsed view of events ? I posted as I saw it - I was there remember...

There was no bow wave, just getting far too close in my opinion.

As the biggest boat there and being the only commercial boat I expected him (the skipper) to be setting the right example and NOT chasing the pod from behind ,swearing at me and generally behaving like a dick, but hey his business , his reputation, and it will end up being his problem.

Private boats may not know any better but I would expect a commercial skipper to be better.

Oh and he also clearly did not have his radio on at all and left the helm on several occasions (i've attached a photos if you want to argue - anyone at the helm ??? that close to the pod ??)- again not in any way to behave as a supposed 'professional'.

In my view he was very wrong - offering to fight me is just one of the things that was ranting on about ....

and as for 'getting dolphins to play' - nothing like 'making' them do anything !!!! no one should be 'making then do anything...maybe a crap choice of words on your part but worth thinking about.

I dont usually slag people off on here- but I will now as I think this is an important point. The guys a complete ignorant tosser, rude, abusive, unprofessional , maybe verging on unsafe?. I would not go anywhere near him as a company or boat operator and I've told everyone I can the same.

I generally do hold a grudge and will go out of my way to make his life hard from now on.

I hope he goes out of business and his boat sinks ( hopefully with him on it !)

The mods can stick this in the bilges but generally who ever he was/is doesn't seem to have a good reputation and the dolphins are far more intelligent . Infact a 3 month old lettuce has a higher IQ.........and no I wont be fighting him ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4220072.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	58709  
Old 26 April 2011, 12:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I dont usually slag people off on here- but I will now as I think this is an important point. The guys a complete ignorant tosser, rude, abusive, unprofessional , maybe verging on unsafe?. I would not go anywhere near him as a company or boat operator and I've told everyone I can the same.

I generally do hold a grudge and will go out of my way to make his life hard from now on.

I hope he goes out of business and his boat sinks ( hopefully with him on it !)
I've been diving with Divers Down for years now and they are one of the better outfits out there. I've been diving all round the UK (and abroad) and they are well to the cautious and conservative end of the spectrum.

Your post does sound as if you're pissed off because someone swore at you.

Personally I think life's too short.

Janos
Old 26 April 2011, 13:04   #28

Quote:
and as for 'getting dolphins to play' - nothing like 'making' them do anything !!!! no one should be 'making then do anything...maybe a crap choice of words on your part but worth thinking about.
I like the way you've turned "getting them to play" [by holding a steady course and speed and creating a bow-wave for them to enjoy] into making them play.
Next thing you know you'll be quoting me as saying that if dolphins won't play they should be tortured with branding irons!

How about if I said that in a big rib you can encourage dolphins to come and play by holding a steady course and speed and letting them play in your bow-wave. Would that be an acceptable choice of words?

And what should you do if the dolphins chase you (like in the following youtube clip - another Divers Down Boat).

Janos
Old 26 April 2011, 13:08   #29

Quote:
I came up alongside and said and I quote ' I'm wondering if your getting a bit too close to the pod' very polite , calm , quiet ......
Reading your posts on this thread I can quite see how you come across as the the polite, calm, quiet rational type. I'm amazed that anyone would ever swear at you.

Janos
Old 26 April 2011, 13:30   #30

Quote:
Reading your posts on this thread I can quite see how you come across as the the polite, calm, quiet rational type. I'm amazed that anyone would ever swear at you.

Janos
Hmmm .your trying to be funny now ???

My last post about this... . I thought the guy was wrong and not setting any type of example. This is from a boat drivers point of view - not a divers . I know about driving boats, but nothing about diving.....

Yes I agree (shock) they may want to play in a bow wave, no I'm not saying you are going to brand them and turn them into steaks....

I'm saying SD was too close for a commercial boat, not following the guidlines and then topped it off by acting like a twat, swearing wanting to fight etc ....

Still I enjoyed the dolphins and thats what its all about ....
Old 26 April 2011, 18:42   #31

Quote:
Hmmm .your trying to be funny now ???
Not really. Just pointing out that I respond to your wild allegations with a calm and rational post (reread my first post in this thread if you want) and you swear at me and tell me to f'off.

And yet you're complaining about the skipper doing the same to you.

Oh the bittersweet taste of irony.

Janos
Old 26 April 2011, 19:10   #32

Quote:
Oh the bittersweet taste of irony.

Janos
Funny again..... I get it .......

Oh and I have never made it to another forum .. I'm quite pleased with myself.
Old 26 April 2011, 23:14   #33

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
To save others the hassle of searching for it....

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/foru...-chaseing.html

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 08:27   #34

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
well i've read all the posts here and on the other site, gods knows i can be grumpy, but never when i'm with chartering guest.
i'm a diver and have been for 30 years, i've had two dive schools attached to a dive shop that i owned, i'm a commercial skipper and have been doing that even longer, so i think i'm suited to post on this one, so here goes.

i'm not on anyones side, if the ribber had a point of view he's should be able to give it without being threatened, if the dive boat skipper was that good and liked dolphins as said, why didn't he explain what he was doing instead of wanting to thump the ribber, i can see why the ribber got upset

manners don't cost a penny