Click Here to Login

Old 07 May 2015, 07:21   #1

Town: Jersey & Portsmouth
Boat name: Vimto/Tango
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp/40hp
Bench or Jockey on Sea Safari/RIB Rides

So whats the arguments for each? I've seen both types used on Sea Safari/RIB Experiences/Rides. Is one better than the other from different standpoints or is it down to personal preference and operating conditions? Thoughts?
Old 07 May 2015, 13:53   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam G View Post
So whats the arguments for each? I've seen both types used on Sea Safari/RIB Experiences/Rides. Is one better than the other from different standpoints or is it down to personal preference and operating conditions? Thoughts?
for sure Jockey seats

firstly safer , better back support , good grab handles , you can stand up and be close and personal with the sea or whatever you are looking at in the sea.

as for bench seats - you cannot stand up and if you do no back support and if you are stuck in the middle on a 3 person bench seat you miss the fun

the attached photo show a Parker 900 Baltic in the Baltic sea where they only do "white knuckle rides" bench seats not suitable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	105145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 15a.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	105146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 30a.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	105147  
Old 07 May 2015, 22:17   #3

Personally I agree jockey seats all the way, never liked bench seats on boats let alone on a RIB I was just wondering what some peoples motivation was for choosing them over jockey seats, I imagine on a commercial vessel they are cheaper (just hazarding a guess there) but is that compromising safety and enjoyment for the sake of a bit of cash?
Old 08 May 2015, 07:24   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Personally I agree jockey seats all the way, never liked bench seats on boats let alone on a RIB I was just wondering what some peoples motivation was for choosing them over jockey seats, I imagine on a commercial vessel they are cheaper (just hazarding a guess there) but is that compromising safety and enjoyment for the sake of a bit of cash?
I think they have their place, depending on size & layout of the boat in question. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable & secure I felt aboard Avocet's "Grimalkin" (the very fella & boat on the Ribnet home page) We went across to the IOW for lunch from Poole (Oooh! get me, I went all Solent then) in fairly snotty conditions & the ride was dry & comfy. Grimalkin is a fairly hefty beast & her size allows for the bench seat. I don't think that they'd have a place on a commercial boat, which are usually laid out with a rear helm position.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2015, 08:25   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
It depends on your intended use, and "audience". jockey seats are obviously the sort of thing you need for fast rib rides, but for sea safari stuff perhaps targeting families or older folk who are less likely to get a leg over a jockey they might have a role. My gut feel is you can fit more people in the same space using benches too. I don't think it's automatically a safety compromise if your operations and skippers understand the limitations.
Old 08 May 2015, 14:05   #6

All fair points indeed, I suppose it would be beneficial if you were running both white knuckle and sea safari rides to have two boats with both set ups but obviously this incurs a hefty cost just for the difference. I guess looking at it you would have decided on what best suits the majority activity you are intending to offer and then limit the other activity depending on setup. Thanks for your opinions guys, i'm interested in starting up my own Sea Safari/RIB ride/Charter business in the future and its good to get various opinions from people with experience other than my own thoughts.
Old 08 May 2015, 14:55   #7
RIBnet Supporter

IMO, both types have their uses and can be used together if the bench if kept toward the back of the RIB and the jockeys to the front. If you design the RIB with deck rails or anchor points then you can have both formats on the one boat at a manageable extra cost (certainly cheaper that two boats ) You'll note the grab handles available to the bench users...

Old 08 May 2015, 15:07   #8

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
IMO, both types have their uses and can be used together if the bench if kept toward the back of the RIB and the jockeys to the front. If you design the RIB with deck rails or anchor points then you can have both formats on the one boat at a manageable extra cost (certainly cheaper that two boats ) You'll note the grab handles available to the bench users...

The rib on the photo has a very nice beam but the seats are rubbish every single one of them and I would go further and even say unsafe especially the front ones . Have you forgotten the Celtic Pioneer incident in 2008? Not a good idea to post that photo Mind you a different brand rib but similar seats
Old 08 May 2015, 17:21   #9

What makes them so rubbish? They all have back support and front grab handles?
Old 08 May 2015, 17:54   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The rib on the photo has a very nice beam but the seats are rubbish every single one of them and I would go further and even say unsafe especially the front ones . Have you forgotten the Celtic Pioneer incident in 2008? Not a good idea to post that photo Mind you a different brand rib but similar seats

Do explain old chap
Old 08 May 2015, 17:56   #11

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
MAIB synopsis of the incident referred to here: https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...erSynopsis.pdf
Attributed to the casualty being lifted from the seat by the boat's motion then landing back on it causing spinal injury.
So don't drive fast over lumpy water & definitely no low flying!
I'd suggest that a jockey seat would be safer than a bench as sitting astride provides the opportunity to grip with the legs & reduces the risk of sliding sideways.
Old 08 May 2015, 17:57   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
I suppose if your sat down you have a greater risk of back injury- whilst with jockey seats you can 'absorb' the bumps.

You'll also spend the whole time sliding from one side of the bench to the other if it's not filled up with people.

I have both on mine but the bench only get used in calm water.
Old 08 May 2015, 17:59   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
....heh.

Posted my reply at the same as paintman.

+1 for what he said.!
Old 08 May 2015, 17:59   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Pfft! You see those in all sorts of RIBs!

Quote:
the attached photo show a Parker 900 Baltic in the Baltic sea where they only do "white knuckle rides"
Old 08 May 2015, 18:06   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I thought factors on celtic pioneer were the deck wasn't flat under the left foot and the passenger was holding a lifeline. All combined with the way it was driven, the safety briefing performed and passengers with underlying health issues embarked. But I might be mixing up my memories.
Old 08 May 2015, 18:09   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
...and the passenger was holding a lifeline.
Maybe better off waving her hands in the air during high speed turns then!
Old 08 May 2015, 18:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Maybe better off waving her hands in the air during high speed turns then!

Nah Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1431108788.830658.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	105174
Old 08 May 2015, 18:37   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
now you know why Just had a read of the Miab report for the Celtic Pioneer incident, interesting.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2015, 18:51   #19

Wonder how big she was
Old 08 May 2015, 19:02   #20

I just read the MAIB report from 2008, accidentally read the entire thing, there were several factors that were highlighted beyond the layout/design of the seating. This included the safety briefing being given after the boat was underway. The main cause of the injury was that the passenger was not holding on to the correct hand holds (she had one hand on the lifeline on the tube) and also the gaps between the seats and tube did not allow much room for foot placement especially considering the non slip decking did not extend all the way to where the injured parties foot was placed allowing for her foot to slip and move.

Tags
rib