Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 September 2010, 09:15   #61

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
[QUOTE=willk;372302] Yes, and when I said Humber owners should big up a bit, I wasn't being personal,

No worries, i see it as an advantage that less of me is exposed to the weather over the screen!

I have read about that trip before, though personally i don't see it as much of a credibility to the boats being built today. Yes it shows it must have been durable to withstand the weather and I suppose gives credit to their history and experience, but I think the fact so many Humbers are sold and still being used as workboats many years later etc is more telling. Seaworthy, solid, dry and arguably good value.
Old 28 September 2010, 12:49   #62

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
[QUOTE= . Seaworthy, solid, dry and arguably good value. [/QUOTE]

B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 13:09   #63

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Yam well funneee.

Keep chugging. Does Domino get on the plane before WOT?
Old 28 September 2010, 15:21   #64

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Same with the trans-atlantic thing, Alan Priddy got winched on to the deck of an ice-breaker and carried a few miles after getting boxed in by ice. Therefore Alan didn't cross the north atlantic in a rib at all, therefore Bear was the first person to cross obviously

Can't remember the reason for that bearded Irish bloke not counting in all this
I didnt get winched onto an Ice Breaker in Greenland, it was a fishing boat 35 miles off Iceland when we ran out of fuel after having to take a 200 mile detour around the Arctic Ice. For a bit of clarity, We then took the New York to UK world record, crossed every ocean in the world in the RIB all before Bear thought about crossing the Atlantic . So I think this does make Bear a bit of a Fibber. We did challenge him to a race across the Atlantic in 2004 just to prove a point. This was to be our third Atlantic Crossing v Bears first attempt but he turned us down. Cant think why !!!!!.Oh yes, I remember now, we did in 8 days quicker than he did.
Regardless, Bear is a very nice, friendly young guy who plays to the Public for his own goals. On the down side, he wears a bit to much makeup for me to be called an "Adventurer" Alan P
Old 28 September 2010, 15:45   #65

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
I didnt get winched onto an Ice Breaker in Greenland, it was a fishing boat 35 miles off Iceland when we ran out of fuel after having to take a 200 mile detour around the Arctic Ice.
My apologies, it's been a good number of years since I read the book!

Excellent read by the way, recommend it to anyone
Old 28 September 2010, 15:49   #66

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
Well done Alan

Someone that can legitimately talk sheet about Mr. Grylls, and get this discussian back on track about amazing feats of ribbing!
Old 28 September 2010, 16:03   #67

Town: The West End, Penryn.
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury 100
Bear Grylls?

http://www.methodsofhealing.com/11-u...-food-sources/

The dir-ty ba***rd!
Old 28 September 2010, 21:17   #68
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
WHAT?? AM I reading things right? Willk promoting something other than a Redbay!

Come on Humbers!!!

Old 28 September 2010, 21:30   #69
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
WHAT?? AM I reading things right? Willk promoting something other than a Redbay!
Tell me about it

I signed a "placement" deal with them earlier in the summer but each time I give them a "plug", either a packet of hypalon patches or a tube of transom weld arrives in the post.

I give up
Old 30 October 2010, 17:33   #70

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
I didnt get winched onto an Ice Breaker in Greenland, it was a fishing boat 35 miles off Iceland when we ran out of fuel after having to take a 200 mile detour around the Arctic Ice. For a bit of clarity, We then took the New York to UK world record, crossed every ocean in the world in the RIB all before Bear thought about crossing the Atlantic . So I think this does make Bear a bit of a Fibber. We did challenge him to a race across the Atlantic in 2004 just to prove a point. This was to be our third Atlantic Crossing v Bears first attempt but he turned us down. Cant think why !!!!!.Oh yes, I remember now, we did in 8 days quicker than he did.
Regardless, Bear is a very nice, friendly young guy who plays to the Public for his own goals. On the down side, he wears a bit to much makeup for me to be called an "Adventurer" Alan P
And I won't mention Enda O'Coineens first Atlantic crossing in a RIB The "Unsinkable Kilcullen" and Bear's claims to same a few years ago Ooops! I just did !

Kind regards,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2010, 19:42   #71
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Possibly because he Sailed, was Bearded and Irish? (three strikes and you're out!)

And seemed so completely deranged that everyone just ignored his accomplishment (which owed more to Thor Heyerdahl than ribbing).

FYI, he hasn't gone away, you know CLICKY

and he did it in a Humber, which I think Humber owners should Big up a bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerboat View Post
And I won't mention Enda O'Coineens first Atlantic crossing in a RIB The "Unsinkable Kilcullen" and Bear's claims to same a few years ago Ooops! I just did !

Kind regards,

Stuart
tch tch - pay attention Stu! The pace is very quick over here!
Old 04 November 2010, 19:59   #72

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Ooopps!

Well... I was a way for a while and forgot to read last weeks lesson before rejoining the class....

To be fair , the last time I raised that issue in these forums, Bear had the decency and courtesy to email me in person acknowledging Enda's achievements.

I've never met Bear in person but I have a feeling he's probably quite a nice normal guy who has built a media career out of his own significant past achievements.

On a serious note, I do think that "Action Celebs" do have a similar responsibility to say, Sports Stars not to belittle other peoples' previous achievements.

And in fairness, it's normally the PR people and TV Production people and script writers rather than the actual celeb who are normally at fault in this regard.

It's up to the Celebs though to manage and control the PR people. After all, it's the Celeb's reputation for professionalism and sportsmanship that's at stake. PR people just move on to the next project.

Kind regards,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2010, 20:06   #73

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerboat View Post
Ooopps!

Well... I was a way for a while and forgot to read last weeks lesson before rejoining the class....

To be fair , the last time I raised that issue in these forums, Bear had the decency and courtesy to email me in person acknowledging Enda's achievements.

I've never met Bear in person but I have a feeling he's probably quite a nice normal guy who has built a media career out of his own significant past achievements.

On a serious note, I do think that "Action Celebs" do have a similar responsibility to say, Sports Stars not to belittle other peoples' previous achievements.

And in fairness, it's normally the PR people and TV Production people and script writers rather than the actual celeb who are normally at fault in this regard.

It's up to the Celebs though to manage and control the PR people. After all, it's the Celeb's reputation for professionalism and sportsmanship that's at stake. PR people just move on to the next project.

Kind regards,

Stuart
As a confirmed "celeb skeptic" & a knocker of Mr Grylls, I think that's a fair point well made. I still wouldn't wear any branded gear though
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib