RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Beach anchoring

Hi guys,

I am off down to Pentewan Sands in a couple of weeks which is a great campsite in a shelterd bay (depending on wind direction) on the South side in Cornwall.

They have a tractor launch there and depending on the weather conditions I was debating about leaving the boat in the water overnight and that got me thinking about anchoring techniques.

I have a 5kg Bruce type anchor 6m chain and 60m of multiplait as the main anchor off the bow. Then was thinking about keeping the boat facing the waves so using my 5kg Danforth with 3 meters of chain and 40m of 3 strand on the stern.

My plan would only be to leave her in if it was dead calm otherwise I will pull her out every day.

What are people's thoughts on the anchor technique mentioned above as in a tidal area but will anchor out of the surf zone. And leaving her in overnight. I may probably get more sleep paying the extra money to pull her out every day
Old 02 July 2013, 09:12   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Hi we have stayed at pentewan many times & have seen the weather lovely in the evening & horrible next day I've also seen boats sunk on the beach due to the rollers comeing in

I personally wouldn't leave a boat at anchor off that beach regardless of anchor style

not worth the sleepless nights imho

enjoy the holiday though awesome spot!
Old 02 July 2013, 09:14   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Hi guys,

I was debating about leaving the boat in the water overnight and that got me thinking about anchoring techniques.
Dont.

Pentewan is exposed to Southerly conditions and you only have sand hold. It's just not worth the worry.

If you were in one of the rivers (Fowey, Fal etc.) maybe.
Old 02 July 2013, 10:47   #4
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Cheers Beamishken and Mollers.

Yeah have been going to Pentewan for years and the weather can change quickly.

Appreciate the comments and local knowledge will take her out and tuck her up at the end of each day.

The £20 launch a day is not the issue just means you are a bit more tied to the tractor running hours and no evening runs unless you put her in Meva which is then a pain with vehicles as I am never doing that walk again it killed me when I was a teenager
Old 02 July 2013, 11:01   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Whenever I've left a boat at anchor overnight I've used both anchors off the bow . Make sure both are set , but with little or no 'pull' on the back up . One acts as back up incase the main one fails and gives the ones thats slipped a chance to set again naturally

I'd not want to anchor off the stern as its a sure fire way of flooding the boat if the bow anchor lets go. I know water just beads off your boat, but it wont bead off that much

Local advice trumps all however .....
Old 02 July 2013, 11:20   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I did it once on relatively sheltered Ullswater, the wind blew up in the middle of the night and I ended up sitting on the beach watching the boat for hours convinced it was sinking/dragging etc.

I would check your insurance as well, most policies exclude claims if the boat is left unoccupied at anchor.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:21   #7
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

With regards to anchoring techniques (as I have made my mind up not to leave the boat in overnight)

Had been doing some research and my OP idea i guess came from yachting techniques (using a kedge). I suppose for them they are going to be onboard overnight and also they don't have a low transom for water to enter should the main anchor fail and the boat spins sea on (hadn't thought of that).

Not that I ever plan to be in this position, but is using two anchors as you described Pete I suppose at 45 degrees the strongest way to hold a boat. Would this keep it facing rollers/waves if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction?
Old 02 July 2013, 11:43   #8

Yep, guess two at 90' (45'off line ahead) apart would give best hold.

If the boat would stay nose to sea I think would all be down to wind strength and size of waves!

You saw my everyday anchor technique on Sunday..so best ignore anything I say....(that was a how not to demo..but still held the three boats....when I'd actually managed to tie them all together anyway!)
Old 02 July 2013, 11:46   #9

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
I used to run an 88' motor yacht with a shallow V planning hull for a guy out of Canada and after dragging one night about 1/4 of a mile I always used both bow anchors from then on. Problem with the shallow V hull was that it used to 'sail' back and forth and snatch at the anchor when the wind picked up.

Used to set the anchors at 45 degrees off the bow with a scope of about 5 to 1 depending on the swinging room available. If there was plenty of room would stick out more chain equally on both anchors.

Using a kedge anchor on a sailing yacht can be a way of holding the bow into the wind / waves or to prevent a yacht swinging on the change of tide i.e. narrow river.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EXTERIO9.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	82318  
Old 02 July 2013, 11:46   #10
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Yep, guess two at 90' (45'off line ahead) apart would give best hold.

If the boat would stay nose to sea I think would all be down to wind strength and size of waves!

You saw my everyday anchor technique on Sunday..so best ignore anything I say....(that was a how not to demo..but still held the three boats....when I'd actually managed to tie them all together anyway!)
Those poor Seahorses wouldn't have stood a chance at that anchor entry speed
Old 02 July 2013, 11:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post

Those poor Seahorses wouldn't have stood a chance at that anchor entry speed
It's fine they finished the survey and by all accounts anchoring want affecting them...but we were well away from the seagrass and in the rocks..Oh yea you saw that one and backed up (a little)....

As landlord said...I nearly lost a sailing cat out of Newtown one night..it ended up on the opposite bank of the harbour...would have been drifting about the Solent unlit...until it hit something..both anchors from then on!
Old 02 July 2013, 11:53   #12
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
I used to run an 88' motor yacht with a shallow V planning hull for a guy out of Canada and after dragging one night about 1/4 of a mile I always used both bow anchors from then on. Problem with the shallow V hull was that it used to 'sail' back and forth and snatch at the anchor when the wind picked up.

Used to set the anchors at 45 degrees off the bow with a scope of about 5 to 1 depending on the swinging room available. If there was plenty of room would stick out more chain equally on both anchors.

Using a kedge anchor on a sailing yacht can be a way of holding the bow into the wind / waves or to prevent a yacht swinging on the change of tide i.e. narrow river.
Wow great picture, so they do get nice weather up there then. Yeah that was my thinking about what anchor technique to use to keep the bow facing the waves/rollers no matter what way the wind was blowing.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:58   #13

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Guy was from Canada but picture taken in the British Virgin Islands

Pros and cons to all anchor techniques, need to weigh up the wind direction, speed, tidal info, sea bed, etc. Hence drag it out and leave on the trailer technique is my favourite

Although quiet loch in good weather probably one anchor and plenty of scope would be fine
Old 02 July 2013, 12:01   #14

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
There is a reason people pay to use moorings when they are leaving the boat unattended.
Old 02 July 2013, 12:36   #15

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp Outboard
I am thinking of a camping trip to the Isle of Wight at the end of July. Reading this thread leaving the RIB at anchor may not be the best idea! Can anyone recommend somewhere to moore up? Camping not yet booked so will consider anything or a marina if costs allow!
Thanks
Old 02 July 2013, 13:47   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The £20 launch a day is not the issue just means you are a bit more tied to the tractor running hours and no evening runs unless you put her in Meva which is then a pain with vehicles as I am never doing that walk again it killed me when I was a teenager[/QUOTE]

we had some of our best times in the evening after the tractor knocked off & everyone went in for the night,the water regularly goes glass flat late on & nothing better than seeing your reflection in the water around dusk as your having your last ski of the day! also used to head out for a pre breakfast fishing trip with my oldest son before the tractor arrived & return later with a good appetite once the rest of the family rose

we had a 3.8m with 40hp & could just manage to handball up the beach but did occasionally take the car onto the slip & use a long rope but they did seem to be getting more strict with bending the rules last time we were there about 7-8 years ago

you could try & find a berth in meva for the odd night & get your other half to take the car along in the morning & collect her by boat so your car is there for the evening ride home
Old 02 July 2013, 13:51   #17
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstars View Post
I am thinking of a camping trip to the Isle of Wight at the end of July. Reading this thread leaving the RIB at anchor may not be the best idea! Can anyone recommend somewhere to moore up? Camping not yet booked so will consider anything or a marina if costs allow!
Thanks
ajstars - hmmm I suppose there is sort of a link with this thread and your post. I would if it was me start your own thread titled Camping and mooring in the Solent you may get more responses there.
Old 02 July 2013, 13:53   #18
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The £20 launch a day is not the issue just means you are a bit more tied to the tractor running hours and no evening runs unless you put her in Meva which is then a pain with vehicles as I am never doing that walk again it killed me when I was a teenager

we had some of our best times in the evening after the tractor knocked off & everyone went in for the night,the water regularly goes glass flat late on & nothing better than seeing your reflection in the water around dusk as your having your last ski of the day! also used to head out for a pre breakfast fishing trip with my oldest son before the tractor arrived & return later with a good appetite once the rest of the family rose

we had a 3.8m with 40hp & could just manage to handball up the beach but did occasionally take the car onto the slip & use a long rope but they did seem to be getting more strict with bending the rules last time we were there about 7-8 years ago

you could try & find a berth in meva for the odd night & get your other half to take the car along in the morning & collect her by boat so your car is there for the evening ride home[/QUOTE]

Completely agree mate, and I think that is a good idea although I cant work out what is best letting my Mrs drive the boat round to Meva or trusting her in my car through those narrow streets down to the harbour car park....... this is a tough one
Old 02 July 2013, 14:33   #19
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Don't do this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130702_073109.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	82327

A friend works for the lifeguard service and was on morning patrol this morning when they found this. I don't think straight shaft ski boats are meant to be beached like that.
Old 02 July 2013, 15:39   #20

Town: Madrid (Spain)
Boat name: MAGO DE ONS
Make: ZAR 53
Engine: SUZUKI DF140
Just buy a good anchor such as Rocna.

I have it and it's performance is very impressive.

Add a piece of chain (same length as your boat), trown enough cable and you'll be fine.

I know that Rocna is expensive, but at the end of the day is a very important safety gear and very cheap if you compare it with the value of your RIB.