Old 01 October 2013, 14:41   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Apparently the throttles on the tiller steered D boats do have spring returns on them though.

Old 01 October 2013, 14:42   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribrunt View Post
90 degree engine immobilisation.
What's that?

Old 01 October 2013, 15:25   #23

Town: Oklahoma USA
Length: no boat
BBC Program Review, Stills, and Statistics

We posted several of the storylines BBC covered, some still images from the broadcast, and our thoughts on some of the topics discussed at:
BBC Boat Kill Cord Investigative Report :: Propeller Guard Information Center

Earlier, Searider said, "Does anyone have a link to the statistics for kill cord accidents over the last 13 years? It was stated on the program that there has been no improvement since the boat show incident - but no figures to back it up."

The UK does not require the reporting of recreational boating accident statistics. There are basically no statistics. A few groups (RNLI, HM Coast Guard search and rescue reports, etc.) gather some data regarding the accidents they encounter. RYA does not collect or collate any accident information per a 2006 study. MAIB investigates some high profile recreational boat accidents that come to their attention, but do not log boat accidents in general.

Its hard to control something you are not measuring.

Here in the US, it is mandatory to report boat accidents that meet certain criteria to the state in which they occur. That data then gets forwarded to the U.S. Coast Guard Boating Accident Report Database (BARD). Researchers check BARD accident counts against hospital records, emergency clinic records, and death databases to gain some understanding of how may are not being reported.

The U.S. Coast Guard also hires a contractor (back when our government was still working) to capture boat accidents covered in news media reports. They saw which ones were not being reported by the individual states and asked them to investigate those for possible inclusion.

The UK is not reporting any of them to a central database. If you are going to even begin by estimating how big the problem is, you need to be reporting and recording them.

We cover the statistics questions more in depth in our review of the broadcast.

gary
Old 01 October 2013, 16:35   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I agree that Paul did a good job, but I think your comments about Johnson are a bit harsh. I don't agree with him, but I do have enormous sympathy for him.
I have enormous sympathy for him as well.
I'm not suggesting that he IS a bit dim and overzealous, but the BBC made him look it with the filming in front of dusty piles of stuff and the camera angles used. He didn't help his own cause by appearing somewhat unkempt on camera when he wasn't afloat.

I don't agree with him either, but the cameras did him no favours. I wonder whose decision the locations were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I wasn't very impressed with the reaction time for the Coastkey. Seems like a lot of money and complicated electronics to produce something that appears to be substantially less effective than a glorified piece of string!
Nor was I. That's a lot further to have to swim back to a boat to self rescue compared to using the killcord.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2013, 16:43   #25

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Problem is if you wear a kill cord properly there is never anything to report or record. Stats are pointless at this point.
Old 01 October 2013, 16:47   #26
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Problem is if you wear a kill cord properly there is never anything to report or record. Stats are pointless at this point.
True. it's then only incidents like MustRib going for a swim in the Irish Sea that get any attention and they're few and far between.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2013, 17:12   #27

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Just watched this on I-player - and there's a far greater danger than the non-use of kill-cords - skippers ignoring harbour authority speed limits and greatly speeding within a 6kt zone!

All the footage of the Ribeye out of Dartmouth shows it planning from hte Castles outward (and close to the eastern shore). The 6kt limit extends to Froward Point a lot further out.

How can you make a television programme about boat safety and blatantly disregard the speed limits and the HA regulations?

I am quite appalled by this - and the fact whoever was driving the Ribeye demo boat - I assume a "professional" thought it was OK to breach the speed limit within the 6kt zone is not good.

I do not approve of the 6kt limit extending so far out - in certain conditions having to run in at displacement speed v. wind sea & tide can be hazardous I have to obey the rules, as should a BBC film crew.

Rant nearly over - for the minute.....
Old 01 October 2013, 17:13   #28

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Quote:
MAIB investigates some high profile recreational boat accidents that come to their attention, but do not log boat accidents in general.
Not true - they record and log many hundreds of leisure craft incidents per annum - reported by individuals, harbour authorities, coastguard, RNLI, Police etc
An example of a few in the latest safety digest, published today:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...ntro2_2013.pdf

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...tion2_2013.pdf

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...ices2_2013.pdf
Old 01 October 2013, 17:21   #29

Town: Oklahoma USA
Length: no boat
You Can Still Be Injured Wearing A Kill Cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
In disagree. There have been many instances in the U.S. in which the operator went overboard and was immediately struck by the propeller (not struck by the circling unmanned boat). Traditional kill cords do not stop the engine fast enough to prevent propeller injuries in these instances.

There have also been many accidents in which kill switches have failed, including those used by the U.S. Coast Guard themselves. They can rip loose from you, break, get caught on something on your way overboard and rip off you, etc.

Plus some boats have struck submerged logs or floating objects and the operator was hit by the outboard motor or propeller flying into the boat as they were flying out.

Plus there have been instances in which the kill cord stayed with the person overboard, but the engine kept running.

But, I do agree that if you wear a kill cord properly and test it often, there will be far fewer kill cord preventable accidents to report. However, I think UK recreational boating accidents that meet certain criteria (such as fatalities or requiring hospitalization, resulting in a missing person (never found), resulting in loss of the vessel, or total damage to a vessel) would be a good place to start. They could be logged in a database to allow frequency estimates, estimates of trends, identify emerging problems, allow economic justification decisions to made. etc.

Another great thing kill cords do is keep the boat close to where the boat operator was ejected. This can prevent drownings in several instances.

gary
Old 01 October 2013, 17:21   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
We all seem to forget, the reason for article was save another life. Wear it or ?
Whether the clip and lead or new technology will all depend on whether the helm can be bothered.

In relation to speed in harbour, yes I know helm and I will suggest authority was sought just as several of us did and were allowed 30knts in Poole harbour for an event. HM cleared area for event. Lets not go off topic again it is about using or not using a LIFE SAVER