Click Here to Login

Old 17 August 2016, 16:48   #21

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
The extra length and horsepower I think justifies it.

Keep in mind, the limiting factor for these boats will likely become the lack of a marine head if you have any classy ladies on board.

With modern 4 strokes, even the small tank on the PO550 should deliver 3-5 hours of boating. You won't be WOT all the time, nor is it wise to be WOT all the time... At cruise, you'll only be at about 5 gph.

2 x 5 gallon portable fuel cans will extend your range. There are many vented compartments where you could safely put them.

If you don't mind being a little cozy, the lean-post will accomodate two people.
Thanks, man. I hate to press you on it, do you have any idea in terms a hard number as to how many people these two craft will carry (total) comfortably? They don't really look like they'd be different, unless you include passengers who may be standing up. The classier ladies won't be dragged on 3+ hour excursions, all that's really necessary to impress them is a quick nighttime run of the Chicago shoreline

You seem to know what you're talking about, unlike most of the dealers. Where precisely would you personally recommend mounting a 5-gallon Jerry can on a PO550? The NATO Jerry's seem to be the most rugged, at least from what I can tell.
Old 18 August 2016, 00:27   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Are you for real if you are serious enough about a boat go and look them, and by the way they are a pro not a po. Next you will be asking how much fuel it will use with 4 anorexic women an two obese men. The women each have a handbag and one man has a camera!!!..

Why worry about jerry cans when they have a big fuel tank under the floor.

Take a look on here and select and search for the boat and power you are considering http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-res...ance-bulletins
Old 18 August 2016, 01:14   #23

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Are you for real if you are serious enough about a boat go and look them, and by the way they are a pro not a po. Next you will be asking how much fuel it will use with 4 anorexic women an two obese men. The women each have a handbag and one man has a camera!!!..

Why worry about jerry cans when they have a big fuel tank under the floor.

Take a look on here and select and search for the boat and power you are considering Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards
Wow, sorry you are offended by my asking some very generic questions about a $35,000 investment. The people here are generally more informative than the dealers, hence why I ask them here.

To be frank, I don't consider the PO 550's (which stands for "Pro Open" since you apparently didn't catch it earlier despite the fact everyone was using that abbreviation) 18 gallon fuel tank "big".

Now, can we get back on topic?
Old 19 August 2016, 00:35   #24

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I find the fact that you don't believe dealers who should know their product inside out and outboard performance spec showing fuel and speed usage a little odd sorry.

As for comments on occupants, this is completely personal, who knows you may be taking 12 kids who love being squashed up close to their mates or taking 4 fat people with stinky armpits who would rather not be so close. You have to go and look at boats and decide what suits you.

On a $35000 rib I very much doubt you could empty the underfloor fuel tank in a day of regular running ( as I pointed out I get close to 300km). The link I provided gave all that info in imperial, Suzuki have the same performance info if you are serious enough about buying, ah but you probably won't believe those figures as they come from manufactures!!!
Old 19 August 2016, 05:26   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Bayrunner 550 vs. Futura MK III vs Classic MK II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I find the fact that you don't believe dealers who should know their product inside out and outboard performance spec showing fuel and speed usage a little odd sorry.
In my experience it's not unusual for RIB owners to know more about their boats than the people selling them.

Quote:
but you probably won't believe those figures as they come from manufactures!!!

Likewise there's nothing wrong with getting a reality check on manufacturers' claims.

This thread obviously irritates you for some reason. Can I suggest that you stop reading it if you don't like it, and put the OP on your ignore list if necessary?

http://www.rib.net/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist
Old 19 August 2016, 12:45   #26

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
Thanks, man. I hate to press you on it, do you have any idea in terms a hard number as to how many people these two craft will carry (total) comfortably? They don't really look like they'd be different, unless you include passengers who may be standing up. The classier ladies won't be dragged on 3+ hour excursions, all that's really necessary to impress them is a quick nighttime run of the Chicago shoreline

You seem to know what you're talking about, unlike most of the dealers. Where precisely would you personally recommend mounting a 5-gallon Jerry can on a PO550? The NATO Jerry's seem to be the most rugged, at least from what I can tell.
2 on the bow , 3 on the back , 2 on the bolster with no equipment. SCUBA, I would not load more than 4 persons. Same with fishing. You are right, the layouts are similar and it limits the seating position, but the bigger boat will be faster and more comfortable.

If you're looking to cross Lake Michigan from Chicago -> South Haven, I'd keep it to 5 persons.

For fuel canisters, plastic is the way to go. I'd recommend purchasing some "off-road racing" type fuel canisters...that way, you don't have to deal with all of the EPA pressurized fuel can stuff that slows filling and increases spillage.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 02:03   #27

Town: Texas
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
2 on the bow , 3 on the back , 2 on the bolster with no equipment. SCUBA, I would not load more than 4 persons. Same with fishing. You are right, the layouts are similar and it limits the seating position, but the bigger boat will be faster and more comfortable.

If you're looking to cross Lake Michigan from Chicago -> South Haven, I'd keep it to 5 persons.

For fuel canisters, plastic is the way to go. I'd recommend purchasing some "off-road racing" type fuel canisters...that way, you don't have to deal with all of the EPA pressurized fuel can stuff that slows filling and increases spillage.
Richard. When you said the bigger boat would be faster and more comfortable, was you referring to the PO550 versus the Pro 550?