Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 March 2014, 20:24   #21

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
I'd agree, those waves at any time for any boat, never mind a hard boat could have rolled him. There were waves randomly coming in that were breaking. The people in the water seemed calm, not going anywhere and with life jackets on. What the temp was we don't know, but all were moving all the way through and keeping the "rescue" boat afloat was key. We also have no idea of his ability/experience. He may have been a new elderly boater for all we know. Well done I say as the job was done.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:21   #22

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Swimming after being unexpectedly dumped in the water with foul weather kit and (I assume) life jackets on is very difficult. I've always favoured "don't try and swim to the boat or the shore".
Been following this on another forum. There was a shelving beach about 50m to the left of the camera behind the "swimmers" - thats where they'd have washed up onto and the shallows are the reason the yacht couldn't assist. The helm was one of the MOBs so the crew had to take the yacht in.

Only 2 of the 4 in the water had lifejackets on so they paired up. That makes swimming an even more difficult prospect.

Quote:
I hope (i) I never have to deal with an incident like that; (ii) if I do there isn't anyone filming it for the internet rescue enthusiasts to critique!
Interestingly the yachty forums aren't anything like as critical of the recovery as one here. They were much more interested in Lifelines, LifeJackets, Decisions to enter, use or not of a headsail etc...