Old 12 March 2019, 19:54   #1

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Battery Location

So I am refurbishing my Ribtec 5.4 and my plan is to move the battery from under the rear of the jockey seat to the front of the console behind the steering wheel to get a heavy item further forward.

This will involve cutting an opening hatch on the front of said console to get the battery in and out.

Now my question is, as fuel is stored under the helmsmans seat (50ltr), do I have to worry about fumes building up in the new battery compartment? I could fit vents.

The boat is being completely re-rigged so all electrics and cables are be brand new.

Many thanks

Ribtecer
Old 13 March 2019, 09:12   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i would fit a vent my ribquest had one at the side of the battery which was on a shelf higher than the water could reach if it the boat were swamped, fuel was underneath it with the tank vented on the opposite side.
Old 13 March 2019, 11:37   #3

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Yes swamping is another good reason to move it higher - many thanks.

Am I right in that fuel vapour is more dense than air and will therefore sink?

If so it is unlikely that the vapour would get into the new battery compartment and that any vent should be at the bottom of the locker base.

In fact it has a big hole in bottom of the shelf that the battery will sit on to allow the steering cable to reach the back of the wheel. Would that be enough to allow any vapour to escape?

It seems that Ribtec put it in a silly place, maybe they had their reasons.
Old 13 March 2019, 11:39   #4

RIBase
[Am I right in that fuel vapour is more dense than air and will therefore sink?]

fuel and battery gas/vapour lighter than air personally i would put two vents for a cross flow of air and to make it look neat
Old 13 March 2019, 12:13   #5

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
I was wondering the question of battery on the console on a shelf versus to the rear in a bench myself. In terms of the weight argument, surely the weight of a battery doesn’t make that much difference considering the weights of things on board and the boat itself? Also risk of swamping getting to the battery, presumably depends on how well sealed the battery is where it is stored? I had been informed that the weight issue is a problem potentially when putting a battery on a shelf above the tank on the console?

Previously I have had a Humber console which had a robust inner shelf supporting a battery for 14 years with no problem, but a new XS console I bought which needs a shelf building in, I’m informed it’s a risk and could result in cracking on the sides of the console supporting the battery - so had decided to put battery in rear sealed bench seat with all other ancillaries such as water separator and Optimax oil tank.
Old 16 March 2019, 07:20   #6

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Weight wise. If the engine is mounted dead centre, with a conventional gearbox. It is likely you will need more weight starboard. I have helm, battery, oil and electrical panels all starboard to counteract engine torque.
Old 16 March 2019, 08:22   #7

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Weight wise. If the engine is mounted dead centre, with a conventional gearbox. It is likely you will need more weight starboard. I have helm, battery, oil and electrical panels all starboard to counteract engine torque.

For me, engine (175 Optimax) is mounted about 1.5” to starboard which was the same as my old Suzuki 140 4s. I asked Humber who said the offset should be the same for the opti. Mercury local dealer said they now mount all engines central. In any case, with an offset on the engine does that mean everything else can be mounted just plumb central? I did notice my old console Humber had mounted closer to starboard but I was unsure if that was just to make passage port side easier.
Old 16 March 2019, 11:18   #8

RIBase
my battery was starboard side but the shelf was full width and length so room for other kit to balance the weight. fuel tank was underneath that shelf full width again balancing the weight distribution for info though my console split on hinges lifting from the bow so easy to work on the electronics, battery etc.you can just see the t bolt on the port side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics of all aspects of the boat 016 main tank filler.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	128747