Originally Posted by Carl
you want to go and check what the weather was doing saturday morning at 11.00am the wind was gusting to over 60knts,so go check your scale now...
Given that Ribnobburs are more inclined to exagerating the wind speed upwards than downwards, especially if they've made the wise decision to curtain a trip, I was more inclined to believe the lower number... but as you told me to check I did...
which appears to be in mph and based in Newport -- suggests max all day was a gust of 51 mph, and that 10-12am was gusting < 40 mph.
in Lymington -- gusts typically < 50 knots in the morning (and < 40 before 10am).
is broadly in agreement with that... as do their sister sites at southampton and chichester.
So, not withstanding Zubenelgunibi's comments, it sounds like it certainly wasn't a force 11... probably better described as something along the lines of F6 gusting 8, increasing to F8 gusting 9 occassionally 10 later.
..still think its sensible to go out in that ?
I wasn't there, I didn't see the conditions, I wasn't familiar with the forecast etc - so its not "my call" if it was right to go out - it was Tim's. But I don't see that the call was any different because at completely differnet times the boat is used to carry passengers. Given that he came back in one piece with no reported damage to the boat or crew it sounds like, empirically, his trip was safe.