Old 15 November 2009, 11:29   #41

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
i dont think it portrays your responsibilites very well when you do have punters with you if you risk yourself and your equipment like that. i doubt the coastguard would of advised you to go out in that weather

Old 15 November 2009, 12:02   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
i dont think it portrays your responsibilites very well when you do have punters with you if you risk yourself and your equipment like that. i doubt the coastguard would of advised you to go out in that weather
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Tim didn't take passengers out and didn't suggest he would in those conditions.

Fortunately Tim's big enough to make his own decisions and doesn't need the CG's permission to go out. Realistically the CG would probably advise you never to leave the harbour above a F6, unless you "had to". Of course if you have to, and have never experienced anything like it before then thats not useful - so as a potential passenger on Tim's boat I am reassured that he has tested it, and his capabilities, in conditions worse than he would take me out in!

If I were a director of tim's company my only real concern would be if he broke the boat and we lost money because we couldn't fulfill a charter.

You might want to read his post again "gusting 40 knots" and then check your Beaufort scale - 'cos 40 knots aint Force 11.
Old 15 November 2009, 12:37   #43

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
is that the aroma of the Ribnet polis

not been heard of for a while
Old 15 November 2009, 14:35   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Yeah it is, to use the slip it's 10 to launch, 10 to retrieve and to use the lock it's 6 each way. http://www.liverpoolmarina.com/marina-tariff

There is a slipway at the end of John Lennon Airport but it's for the Sailing clubs use only. That's why I travel 40 miles to fleetwood instead. Plus with my dad living in the dock I get free meals and an extra pare of hands to help launch.
That's until I can get myself a good 4X4 and launch of the beach.
WOW!

I know that place. Walked along there many a time. Saw the Marine Bar and Grill and it looked too grand for me!! (Actually the prices are not too bad for food)

I spent some time looking at the money bobbing on the water and never did I think it was that expensive to put a boat down that lovely big wide ramp there - and then pay again to bring it up!!

Flabbergasted! They obviously don;'t want the riff raff like me to use it!

Old 15 November 2009, 15:03   #45
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
WOW!

I know that place. Walked along there many a time. Saw the Marine Bar and Grill and it looked too grand for me!! (Actually the prices are not too bad for food)

I spent some time looking at the money bobbing on the water and never did I think it was that expensive to put a boat down that lovely big wide ramp there - and then pay again to bring it up!!

Flabbergasted! They obviously don;'t want the riff raff like me to use it!

I've been told they are suffering for it. As are a few marina's around here who thought they would have no end of business due to the change on windermere. But allot seem to have sold there boat after finding out how much the charges where or would be.

Never mind though Tony, atleast us riff raff can leave it on the trailer
Old 15 November 2009, 21:54   #46

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
how does everyone else cope ?
Most people have hard boats with plenty of mooring cleats - even then 2 have sunk in the last year.
Old 16 November 2009, 03:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Tim didn't take passengers out and didn't suggest he would in those conditions.

Fortunately Tim's big enough to make his own decisions and doesn't need the CG's permission to go out. Realistically the CG would probably advise you never to leave the harbour above a F6, unless you "had to". Of course if you have to, and have never experienced anything like it before then thats not useful - so as a potential passenger on Tim's boat I am reassured that he has tested it, and his capabilities, in conditions worse than he would take me out in!

If I were a director of tim's company my only real concern would be if he broke the boat and we lost money because we couldn't fulfill a charter.

You might want to read his post again "gusting 40 knots" and then check your Beaufort scale - 'cos 40 knots aint Force 11.
you want to go and check what the weather was doing saturday morning at 11.00am the wind was gusting to over 60knts,so go check your scale now........still think its sensible to go out in that ?
Old 16 November 2009, 04:26   #48

Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Wind speeds of 60 kn does not necessarily imply that it is a force 11.

The Beaufort scale is based on sea conditions, the sea conditions are to be observed & based on the description of the sea state as designated in the Beaufort scale, the scale is thus interpreted to ascertain a Beaufort force.

The scale is not intended to be used in the reverse way, ie ascertain the wind speed & then assign a Beaufort number to it.

For example, you can gave a wind speed of 35 kn but if you do not have
"Sea heaps up. Some foam from breaking waves is blown into streaks along wind direction. Moderate amounts of airborne spray" & probable wave heights of 5.5 - 7.5 m then it is not a force 8. It is a wind sepped of 35kn, in a sheltered area without significant "fetch", it is possible to have 35 kn wind & well above but not the associated sea conditions, thus it is inaccurate to describe the conditions using the Beaufort scale.
Old 16 November 2009, 04:32   #49

best email that to the met office then
Old 16 November 2009, 05:38   #50

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
you want to go and check what the weather was doing saturday morning at 11.00am the wind was gusting to over 60knts,so go check your scale now........still think its sensible to go out in that ?

Ohhhh yes for certain,

I was out in Plymouth sound about that time and i can say it was breezy , it was realy whipping up the sea and there was a lot of sea spray and the rain, driving into it at 20+ knotts it was stinging my eyes a lot, (must remember to take my goggles next time), also it must have been breezy as it was the first time that i have ever felt the wind get under the boat and hold it up,

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote