Old 31 August 2007, 12:57   #11

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Totally agree with Nikster and all the others.

If it was deliberate - name and shame.

Ian

Old 31 August 2007, 13:10   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I would doubt if someone would be stupid enough to deliberately run over a shark, knowing the damage it would cause to the animal, and/or their rig, not to mention the safety issues that go with that, particularly if they are a certified commercial operator. I was speaking with someone recently about this subject, and thanked my lucky stars that vigilance has helped me evade striking something before now.

Old 31 August 2007, 13:17   #13

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Billy Whizz II
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I would doubt if someone would be stupid enough to deliberately run over a shark, knowing the damage it would cause to the animal, and/or their rig, not to mention the safety issues that go with that, particularly if they are a certified commercial operator. I was speaking with someone recently about this subject, and thanked my lucky stars that vigilance has helped me evade striking something before now.
Nobody said that they ran it over deliberately, but there is a big difference between missing it when traveling fast from A to B and getting too close to a group of sharks when you know that they are there. It sounds, from the original post, like that is the case. We all try to be vigilant, but we all appreciate that at speed we rely, to a certain degree, on the fact that the ocean is big and the likelihood of hitting anything that is not charted, from sharks and whales to containers, is remote. But hopefully none of us would take a turning prop too close to a person in the water - the same goes for large fish / mammals as well.

Mark
Old 31 August 2007, 13:30   #14

Im with the others. If they knew the sharks were there name them!! But be sure!
Old 31 August 2007, 13:33   #15

True enough Mark, Baskings are pretty hard to miss too.. you can see those fins pretty far off since they are more often than not on the surface
Old 31 August 2007, 13:44   #16

Quote:
True enough Mark, Baskings are pretty hard to miss too.. you can see those fins pretty far off since they are more often than not on the surface
I disagree. As I said in my earlier post, I got too close last week before I knew they were there, only luck stopped me hitting the shark - 20:20 vision was no help! In any sort of chop, the fins are invisible at 20 yards. Reaction time + stopping distance does not give you a chance. We all rely on luck and good odds to a degree, probably in every aspect of life. Obviously excepting the new world order that we live in where it is always someone else's fault, but that is probably for a different thread / forum.
Old 31 August 2007, 15:23   #17

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
You need to be careful naming and shaming, I wouldn't know where you stand legally?
I once hit/was hit by a porpoise, saw it engaged neutral then 10secs later got covered in water as it popped up and covered the boat in water as its tail flicked over the bow!
We were stationery so no damage was done to either and I think we were more shocked than he was.

Phill
Old 31 August 2007, 16:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
You need to be careful naming and shaming, I wouldn't know where you stand legally?
I once hit/was hit by a porpoise, saw it engaged neutral then 10secs later got covered in water as it popped up and covered the boat in water as its tail flicked over the bow!
We were stationery so no damage was done to either and I think we were more shocked than he was.

Phill
Well I'd like to press charges against the inconsiderate Minky that hit me whilst at a stand still 4 years ago ...... minding my own business and it scared me shitless. I've never been next to a beast that size in the water, and.... it came looking for us !! As usual no camera but 2 petrified crew !

So which view are you taking Mark, Mistake / Accident ? Since your last posts are at odds saying they should have been aware, but you said also you were not aware when it happened to you?
Old 31 August 2007, 17:46   #19

Quote:
So which view are you taking Mark, Mistake / Accident ? Since your last posts are at odds saying they should have been aware, but you said also you were not aware when it happened to you?
What I said that I was not aware because I was going from A to B at speed. If that was the case with them, they were not negligent in not seeing it. If however they got too close because they wanted to get close, then they were to blame. I do not beleive that these are contradictory statements.

I cannot take a view as I was not there so am in no position to say which situation was the case. My guess, and it is only a guess, based on the original post, is that they were trying to get close - I am sure that planktonjules is in a better position to judge and should therefore be the one qualified to decide. Give us the full picture and then let us vote!
Old 31 August 2007, 17:49   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarker View Post
I disagree. As I said in my earlier post, I got too close last week before I knew they were there, only luck stopped me hitting the shark - 20:20 vision was no help! In any sort of chop, the fins are invisible at 20 yards. Reaction time + stopping distance does not give you a chance. We all rely on luck and good odds to a degree, probably in every aspect of life. Obviously excepting the new world order that we live in where it is always someone else's fault, but that is probably for a different thread / forum.

It's nice to see some honesty and lack of hyprocrisy in this day and age!!!