Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 February 2010, 02:32   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Basic GRP layup

Can any of the forum members help me with this one.

Grp laying up a hull of 18foot. ( home build )

I have been told layup to a 6 oz then fit stiffeners and then lay up another 4 oz .

A total of 10 oz.

another 2 oz along the keel and transom.

Is this strong enough ?
or over the top for an 18 foot rib?
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 09:28   #2
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
Can any of the forum members help me with this one.

Grp laying up a hull of 18foot. ( home build )

I have been told layup to a 6 oz then fit stiffeners and then lay up another 4 oz .

A total of 10 oz.

another 2 oz along the keel and transom.

Is this strong enough ?
or over the top for an 18 foot rib?
what are you going to do with all this information you are collecting?

the layup for a small fisher, i reckon something like 2x 600, 1x 800/300 combi, 1x 600 (600 is 2oz)
i would lay 600chop,800/300combi, 600chop over stiffeners
dont worry about the 2oz over the keel as the overlap from each side should come up 300mm either side.
it's a light layup and nowhere near what a rib hull gets, but i'm assuming there's gunnels and things above deck to give it some rigidity
thats a simple answer but it's not quite that easy, you still have fillins for spray rails and chines, transom woods, stringers, floor supports and lots more but as you ask i thought someone should answer
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 10:11   #3
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
For my tender I was going to use 600g CSM then 600g Woven roving then 600g CSM.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 10:43   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
home build

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
what are you going to do with all this information you are collecting?

the layup for a small fisher, i reckon something like 2x 600, 1x 800/300 combi, 1x 600 (600 is 2oz)
i would lay 600chop,800/300combi, 600chop over stiffeners
dont worry about the 2oz over the keel as the overlap from each side should come up 300mm either side.
it's a light layup and nowhere near what a rib hull gets, but i'm assuming there's gunnels and things above deck to give it some rigidity
thats a simple answer but it's not quite that easy, you still have fillins for spray rails and chines, transom woods, stringers, floor supports and lots more but as you ask i thought someone should answer
I am thinking on a home build rib.
More information gained will decide if i take it to task or not.
Thanks for the reply.
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 14:44   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
I am thinking on a home build rib.
More information gained will decide if i take it to task or not.
Thanks for the reply.
A couple of things to bear in mind:

(1) The RCD essentially means that you either have to get it CE marked (relatively expensive for a one off) or not sell it for five years. If it turns out not to do what you need or your circumstances change this might be a PITA.

(2) IMHO - generally speaking - a one off boat especially one with no reputable builder behind it won't be as valuable/hold its value as well as a boat from a recognised brand/builder/designer.

Add to that the costs of tooling up for a single GRP boat and I don't think it will actually be that ecconomical to build a boat from scratch, compared to e.g. buying an osprey/humber/shakespeare bare hull and rigging it / fitting it out yourself. Possibly using your own console, seat pod moulding etc - if you want to do something clever there.

Unless of course you are planning to do something significantly different with the hull design - but it doesn't sound like it from your other posts.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 14:59   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
A couple of things to bear in mind:

(1) The RCD essentially means that you either have to get it CE marked (relatively expensive for a one off) or not sell it for five years. If it turns out not to do what you need or your circumstances change this might be a PITA.

(2) IMHO - generally speaking - a one off boat especially one with no reputable builder behind it won't be as valuable/hold its value as well as a boat from a recognised brand/builder/designer.

Add to that the costs of tooling up for a single GRP boat and I don't think it will actually be that ecconomical to build a boat from scratch, compared to e.g. buying an osprey/humber/shakespeare bare hull and rigging it / fitting it out yourself. Possibly using your own console, seat pod moulding etc - if you want to do something clever there.

Unless of course you are planning to do something significantly different with the hull design - but it doesn't sound like it from your other posts.


I just want to make a rib to my personal specs as you said not worth a thing to anybody else.

I have a bit of time i would like to spend doing a project.

I was wanting the hull only

Min basic thing. or even a cheap mishap.

I have as yet not decided to build one myself until as you can see have delved into the pros and cons.


But It looks like if you want to build one its better to start with a makers hull.

Still got a few questions I need to ask But looking doubtful now.

Thanks

Robert
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 18:41   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
What are you doing about a mould?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 01:50   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
moulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What are you doing about a mould?
I was going to make a rib from scratch but after receiving advise from the forum I decided not to so i am looking at making a fishing boat now .

well having said that possibly .....
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 03:37   #9
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
go for it! will cost you a fortune but if your having fun, why not, the boys are right though, you could sell it as a prototype and you'll have trouble insuring it but what the hell, we're a long time dead!
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 10:19   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
Can any of the forum members help me with this one.

Grp laying up a hull of 18foot. ( home build )

I have been told layup to a 6 oz then fit stiffeners and then lay up another 4 oz .

A total of 10 oz.

another 2 oz along the keel and transom.

Is this strong enough ?
or over the top for an 18 foot rib?

This is NOT me !!!!
I was looking at something else..
Defending myself here because the questions on the bottom are asked by Robert.

But not this Robert..


http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.