Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 October 2008, 15:36   #21
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
JSP (the OP) got a reasonable looking searider for less than 1/2 what you paid. He will probably be able to pick up a genuine 13 year old engine for the difference. But hey - you just bought a boat you might want to resell one day and with google power its only natural you would want to talk it up!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 15:57   #22
Member
 
samt's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 850
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorib View Post
the engine is a 2 stroke 60 hp mariner/yamaha and its age approx 13 years old ( who said 30 years old sort your facts out matey)
I'm sorry but you are wrong. That outboard is alot older than 13years. It has been resprayed, with new stickers. The original colours are still visible on the front part of the engine (the oranger/yellow stickers). Which puts it mid 80's at best.

The mariner 60 produced in the late 80's and early 90's was totally different, it was 3 cylinders and mercury based. Then they changed again around '95. Yours is yamaha based 2 cylinder.

Theres no reason why it shouldn't be as good as a newer engine, all depends on how well its been looked after. Mine was 12years old, but ran like new. But theres no point making it out to be something that its not, what happens when you need to find parts for it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13FT-RIB-20HP-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Is that one aswell? Still don't recognise it as an avon hull. Definatly not a searider.
__________________

__________________
samt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 16:36   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorib View Post
.... i bought that barnstormer rib. the hull is a avon
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 17:04   #24
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorib View Post
hi guys just to let you know i bought that barnstormer rib. the hull is a avon the tubes where made by a company called barnstormer which i think no longer exists. the engine is a 2 stroke 60 hp mariner/yamaha and its age approx 13 years old ( who said 30 years old sort your facts out matey) the boat is great handles just like a avon i should know i have had 4 of them. i however have done a few mods on the boat but i think the 1500 i payed for the boat was a bargain . i challenge anyone to find better for little money. you wont because i have looked all over the uk and they all have their quirks. i feel sorry for the guy that got the bad bad advice form the not all knowing!!!!!!
thanks guys i will like to hear some feedback if you know anymore about the subject.
richard

I assume the seller told you all that?

There was in fact a 55hp Yamaha that looked like that around that age-'95, but no 60hp. All the 60hp Mariners from '95 were 3 cylinder as SamT says-and the colours (and doggy rebadge) point to it being around 1985. Latest possible in those colours is 1992.


If you think it handles like an Avon, someone lend me an SR4 and next time we get a f8 I'll race you from Lymington to Yarmouth and back.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 17:11   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
RectumRib...all joking apart, I hope you have some great experiences in your new purchase. Ribs of all sizes are to my mind great fun, I have a 3 meter sib with a 2hp on the back that I love to potter around in.

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 17:37   #26
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorib View Post
( who said 30 years old sort your facts out matey)
Hmm I said that, but don't worry no offence taken however I stand by my comment about its age

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorib View Post
thanks guys i will like to hear some feedback if you know anymore about the subject. Richard
You have a Flatacraft Force 4 as correctly identified by Nasher. If you would like to read about the early history of Flatacraft then try this. The picture of the guy on the left of the page is Tony Lee-Elliott, who with one or two others developed ribs from inflatables to the boats we have today, without him, no ribs.

http://www.hotribs.com/02articles/00...ows/01_pt1.asp

Welcome to Ribnet by the way

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 19:09   #27
Member
 
Andy JC's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you think it handles like an Avon, someone lend me an SR4 and next time we get a f8 I'll race you from Lymington to Yarmouth and back.
No problem Matt, she's yours for the day
__________________
Andy JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2008, 19:59   #28
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
No problem Matt, she's yours for the day
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2008, 04:10   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorib View Post
i feel sorry for the guy that got the bad bad advice form the not all knowing!!!!!!
So do we.
__________________
Big waves, small boat ;)
tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2008, 04:23   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
If you think it handles like an Avon, someone lend me an SR4 and next time we get a f8 I'll race you from Lymington to Yarmouth and back. [/quote]

And i will come along in the SR and follow behind to pick up bits of barnstormer as they drop off
__________________

__________________
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.