I'm getting somewhere.
The two white helmets for the boys cleaned up well on the inside with a shampoo solution, and all the old decal glue etc came off the outside with Acetone followed with warm soapy water.
One of them was missing the ear hole grommets, which were easily replaced, but harder to get hold of was the rubber trim for around the outside of the shell. I eventually found some about the correct size that was being sold as trim for radio control boat decks.
I've now ordered 3 new visors from Gecko, which have cost nearly double the total I had already spent on the three helmets and the trim.
I wanted to customise the helmets with some decals, but again wanted to do it my way. Read - For next to nothing.
I decided to get hold of some sign makers self adhesive vinyl and hand cut some text in a suitably relaxed font. I'm also planning to add the name to the sides of the RIB console, so would need quite a bit. I phoned a sign maker near work and was told he'd be there until about 5.30pm if I dropped in after work.
At 5.10pm I was there and he'd gone home, obviously didn't want my £20 cash. It was a bonus however, as I found nearly 2M of Black, and a small amount of White 7 year vinyl in his skip.
I printed the text out in Hawaiian Punk font and taped them down to the vinyl. I now can't feel the end of my index finger after having spent two evenings with a scalpel cutting them out.
Hope you like them.