Ok, console is now re-polished and about to fit everything into it for refitting to the boat. It's SHINY...
New graphics for the motor arrived from the USA too that look somewhat cooler than the standard Opti ones, but still in keeping with the motor.
I spent 2 hours today fitting new engine bolts to the boat-it's got to be launched to swap it to its new trailer and I noticed when I fitted the outboard lock that the bolts turned, so decided to reseal them.
The good news was the transom is dry as a bone inside and new engine bolts are now in, fitted with a huge amount of Sikaflex 291. It's pretty safe to say there won't be any water ingress along the bolts
It's rant time now.
SOMEONE (it appears on face value to be the company who'd worked on the motor before I got it) had put a spreader plate on that was so deep it made the steering ram body hit the engine bolts and damaged the ram body ends.
Not only that,they had used mismatched engine bolts. The bottom 2 were different lengths, while BOTH of the top 2 were very obviously 2nd hand when they went in, and were bent in 2 places each. There was no damage/ovalling to the holes or gelcoat on the transom and the bends were in completely the wrong place to have happened while on this boat.
They had also used a 'hardening' type of sealant (rather than the elastic type that's supposed to be used) to fit the bolts-totally the wrong product for the job and whatever it was, it dissolved with a quick wipe of xylene. I think I've had a very lucky escape.