Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 25 September 2005, 11:34   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
bad day needs some inspiration

today lush weather, bit windy... and the boats in the workshop having some leaks sorted ... gutted... guy reckons the tubes are pretty shot and possibly not even repairable , he's waiting on a new special glue to arrive and is going to try that, theres no getting away from it that shes an old boat and can only be patched up so many times, is it new tube time? cant afford it, is she worth it, my head hurts from last night, coupled up with my engine issues.. I just seem to be chucking money at it, getting no where and I still cant get out on the water - wot do I do!?!?!!
Old 25 September 2005, 12:14   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
shit how much is a retube gonna cost?

I DID get out yesterday-got 5 miles out and the radio made a high-pitched scream then quit...arse.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 12:34   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Know what you meen Olly, my head hurts as well and if this saga continues much longer I'll get rid of the bloody thing and get a hard boat for fishing instead.

Sympathy for everyone with boaty problems!
Old 25 September 2005, 12:55   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
While we're all gorwning

I went out yesterday.....First outing out after I had attended to the blockage in the cooling system. Seems I had forgotten to do the screw that allows access to the cooling system up properly. Half way home engine dies, I open the lid and water pours out. Wondering what the hell (I can't find the bolt that has come out of the hole) to do I'm on the verge of calling the coastgaurd when I find an old bolt I cut off another boat. God is odviously on my side as the bolt fits the hole! With that sorted I carried on home - I'd booked passage through Mutford lock in Lowestoft at 3.30 (lock keeper goes home at 4.30) It's not 4.35 so I try to radio him. Radio decides now is a good time to go wrong so I get on my mobile only get an answer machine. Thank god the lock keeper phones me back straight away and says he'll wait ten more mintues. So there I am cruising through Lake Lothing at 10knots (speed limit 4) trying to make up the time. Fortunaly I got through the lock and the engine is fine now. As for the radio the lock keeper says he put it down to atmspherics.....

Boats.....why bother?!
Old 25 September 2005, 13:00   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
today lush weather, bit windy... and the boats in the workshop having some leaks sorted ... gutted... guy reckons the tubes are pretty shot and possibly not even repairable , he's waiting on a new special glue to arrive and is going to try that, theres no getting away from it that shes an old boat and can only be patched up so many times, is it new tube time? cant afford it, is she worth it, my head hurts from last night, coupled up with my engine issues.. I just seem to be chucking money at it, getting no where and I still cant get out on the water - wot do I do!?!?!!

Who is doing the tube work? what is the tube construction, pvc?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 13:17   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
As a VERY last resort I have heard of people filling the tubes with foam - there was an article in PBO many years ago showing how to do it - involved blowing the stuff in with a vacuum cleaner!!!
Old 25 September 2005, 17:41   #7

Quote:
Hey Olly, sounds like a not so good situation. Chin up, remember winter is coming so you won't want to get out on the water so much, and who knows, next year might bring sunshine and your boat becoming more reliable.
Old 25 September 2005, 18:07   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
gutted... guy reckons the tubes are pretty shot and possibly not even repairable
Nah, wot you need is a bottle of Pete7s special Exlior of life, will keep those tubes running for another couple of years easy its at work at the mo but pop round during the week or if your out at the weekend you can pick it up on the Yarmouth trip.

Hoping to drop the cables off with Tim on Sunday too. Andy are you taking the back rests to Tim?

Pete
Old 25 September 2005, 19:21   #9

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Olly - sorry to hear of your problems, but hang in there, just keep remembering the feeling of good days out on the boat - Trust me i know what it feels like to have no boat at all - you dont want that - If money is too tight for a re-tube maybe you could try something like this - It might be a complete load of bollocks but they make it look good on the website - maybe someone else on RIBnet has some experiance of this stuff.

http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/paint/

Check out these case studies of what they recon it can do - I bet your tubes are in better condition than the boats they started with.

http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...t/restore.html
http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi.../picessay.html
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 20:16   #10

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Olly

Sorry to hear that the boaty stuffs getting a bit too much at the moment.

See how much it would cost to get a bare set of hypalon tubes made up.

Amongst us the Solent crowd should be able to help you out.
With all our experiance put together a few of us should be able to put a set of tubes on an SR4. Then add all the nessessary fittings once they are on the boat.
I'm often surprised how many people shy away from repairing their own tubes or adding extra handles etc, my father and I made many mods to Flatacrafts over the years, replaced the complete transom on one which meant detaching the tubes and putting them back on.

I'll even offer the use of my workshop/double garage for a couple of weeks, so we can have some room to work with plenty of light in the evenings

Winter is coming, and a joint project with a load of photos in a thread on here will help others out in the future.

Shame I'm travelling this week, other wise I would have arranged an emergency Solent meeting which involved you getting a lift to the pub.

Nasher.
Old 25 September 2005, 20:51   #11

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
I'll get rid of the bloody thing and get a hard boat
Andy it could never be that bad . If your out next Sunday there should be some good brains with us who could have a look and see if we can sort the problem.

Olly looks like Pete & Nasher have some positives. Having had some problems this year it always looks bad to start. With a bit of help on here and things can get sorted or at least a temp solution to give you time to save up for a long term solution.
Old 25 September 2005, 22:04   #12

Town: Fareham
Neal, thanks. I don't think I'll be comming next weekend as I'm up for a trip to the States. I am trying to wriggle out of it, but I think it's gonna be impossible.

Andy
Old 28 September 2005, 09:01   #13

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Do you want out this weekend? Not sure if we have ever met, but my wife is away and I have ticket to play on Fri, Sun, Sat. PM me if interested.