Old 18 January 2009, 19:29   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jet
Make: Zar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude Etec 115
Babies and RIBS...do they go together?

My daughter will be 6+ months old this summer and we'd really like to get back out on our Zar Well Deck as a family asap, however, we're not sure if this is perhaps a bit too young for her to be hooning around the Solent?

Has anyone got any experience of taking babies out on RIBS and if so what sort of safety equipment do you recommend?
Old 18 January 2009, 19:51   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Now this is only my own opinion.
I would never take a baby out on any boat specially not an open boat.
Old 18 January 2009, 19:53   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
In my opinion they are not a great combo! The challenges are:

1. Keeping them warm. Even with a toddler this is hard enough. Not sure which Zar model you have but if it has good shelter might be better. If you do go out keep aware that s/he will be colder than you - so keep checking, and have a plan for getting ashore and warm ASAP (might be easier in the solent).

2. Shock mitigation and weak neck muscles. I wouldn't take a baby out until they could support their own head and preferably sit up properly by themselves, unless I could be absolutely sure there would be no jarring e.g. flat calm and displacement speeds. Probably similar to going in a seat on the back of a bike.

3. Seating and lifejackets etc... Some people here have suggested putting kids in car seats. With babies that is probably the only practical solution - but no life jacket is going to work properly inside a car seat. So you need some sort of plan... ...to be honest if s/he ends up in the water chances will be very low anyway, so I do support the idea of car seat to make the chance of that happening very small.

4. Engine / wind noise / boredom depending on the child... and how you keep them happy. If he/she screams is that going to ruin a day our (or force you to turn back). On a more positive note my son will fall asleep (at age 4) with the white noise from the engine.

Genuine ribbing and babies don't mix well - but pottering round the harbour might be OK so long as its thought out and you can be flexible enough to change plans/adapt if not happy.
Old 18 January 2009, 20:26   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Baby_li...for_babies.htm

We plan to take our newest, and a 4 year old, out this spring. You can source life jackets from either the above or Plastimo -
http://www.marinemegastore.com/categ...-SAFLIF004.htm

We are only going to go for a poddle around the harbour because as others have said it could go wrong.

However if the day is good, a little trip - at slow speed - will be fun

Andy
Old 18 January 2009, 20:37   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
We took our youngest daughter out at 6 months, however it was a glorious day, sheltered sea loch in favourable conditions. She was in a baby car seat so her head was cushioned.

Trip was only 15 minutes and was effectively a taxi service to a secluded beach at a minimum rate of knots. Wouldn't even think about anything longer, as sea conditions can change rapidly. Must admit my wife was happier when we were back at the pier.
Old 18 January 2009, 20:52   #6

Boat name: Jet
Make: Zar
Engine: Evinrude Etec 115
Wow, thanks for the prompt responses. NB: I was joking about "hooning around the solent". A pootle will be far more likely.

At 6+months she'll definitely be supporting her own head/sitting up but valid point on neck jarring etc as that can happen to any of us. But as I said, not planning on jumping any waves or doing what you call "genuine ribbing", Polwart.

Have looked online at lifejackets and they certainly make them for as young as 3 months!

Had been thinking whether I could have her strapped to me in a babybjorn/sling with lifejacket on too as that would support her head more but then not sure if that's considered more dangerous if I were to go in too? (although that's unlikely at low speeds...not happened yet anyway?!)
Old 18 January 2009, 21:11   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazter View Post
But as I said, not planning on jumping any waves or doing what you call "genuine ribbing", Polwart.
yes but bear in mind that even on a flat calm day in the solent - a ship's wake will be significant bouncing.
Quote:
Had been thinking whether I could have her strapped to me in a babybjorn/sling with lifejacket on too as that would support her head more but then not sure if that's considered more dangerous if I were to go in too? (although that's unlikely at low speeds...not happened yet anyway?!)
I think the baby would be safest in a secure seat in one spot rather than strapped to a person who moves about and has the risk of slipping or tripping overboard. Then when you decide to move child in and out etc there is a definite decision to make that "manouvre" with the increased risk...

I am also not sure how a baby on your front would affect your angle of flotation if you did go in, nor if it might impede the firing process...
Old 18 January 2009, 21:50   #8

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I am also not sure how a baby on your front would affect your angle of flotation if you did go in, nor if it might impede the firing process...
I don't thinkit would impede the firing process at all. It'd just off and hurt the baby! so any type of self inflating jacket is out. imho.

I don't go much for kids on ribs but if you have to do it then I would think the smoothest, sheltered water you'd get would be fareham creek, I think theres a slipway there near Fairweathers.

I
Old 19 January 2009, 07:20   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I started to take my son out at about 18 months and opted fort he car seat option.

Oscar

I don't think I would take out a 6month old regardless of the weather.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2009, 07:20   #10

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
I guess taking a baby on rib is ok..BUT what happens if anything goes wrong?
Engine failure means hanging around for long periods of time,
Getting wet? not so good i would have thought,
ETC.
Well IMHO leave the baby with sitters and go have a blast, you probably deserve some time out..
Old 19 January 2009, 16:53   #11

Town: Fareham
I don't like the Idea of taking a baby out on a RIB for the before mentioned resons. In actual fact I don't even like the Idea of any child onboard that can't hold on or can't even walk ie look after themselves.

You'd only need to get hit by a big wake of a passing ship or boat to seriously hurt the baby by jarring the neck or body. There are so many things that can go wrong it just isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

My Son is 7 years old and even at this age I am very concious about his welfare whilst underway. With his arms outstretched holding onto a grab handle his face is less than 12"s away from smashing into the console.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2009, 17:35   #12

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I'll be in the same position this summer with a 6 month old boy.

Pazter - Saw a baby in a sling last summer - looked a bit vulnerable.

I think that a small child must be in some sort of car seat and probably best to wait until they're out of the rear facing one.

Think i'll see how a trip up and down the river at slow speed goes. Lunch at the Jolly Sailor!

Chris - Like the picture of the car seat on the seat pod - I guess an isofix bracket could be bolted in place to secure a forward facing car seat. Interesting that the lifejacket fits under the straps. A bit older than 6 months though - maybe i'll need to wait until summer 2010.

Hightower - We have a 7 year old as well - I worry about teeth so close to a grab handle every time we go out, although not sure where these ship wakes "suddenly" appear from - can normally see them coming and slow down in time - bearing in mind with a small child on board would be going slower than "big boys speed".

Tony - Agree totally - going out for a blast is not for the kids. Grown ups only and mum can probably stay at home too!

Polwart - some good points there - I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say "Genuine ribbing and babies don't mix well - but pottering round the harbour might be OK so long as its thought out and you can be flexible enough to change plans/adapt if not happy." I can imagine myself pottering down the Hamble getting to the bottom and either they like it or don't. It they don't then plan B is brought into actoin and it's lunch at the Jolly again!
Definately only for sunny, flat days and no more than 20 minutes at a time.

Food for thought.

Duncan
Old 19 January 2009, 19:44   #13

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
I have a 14 month old son and he has certainly not been on the boat yet for all the above mentioned reasons. I am thinking about taking him out across to another island in the summer if all conditions are good (it's about a 2 minute run or less normally). However, let's see what happens as the time gets closer, I'll probably end up not doing it.

Ian
Old 19 January 2009, 22:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Hightower - We have a 7 year old as well - I worry about teeth so close to a grab handle every time we go out, although not sure where these ship wakes "suddenly" appear from - can normally see them coming and slow down in time - bearing in mind with a small child on board would be going slower than "big boys speed".

Duncan
Whilst at anchor fishing we get buffeted around a fair bit by the odd wake. If you got caught unawares which I think must happen to everyone at some time, with a baby on board then there is too much a risk.

But this is my opinion and have even trained my Son what to do if I get into difficulties....If he's listened to me

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 20 January 2009, 08:13   #15

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
What goes down ....

We took our 8 month baby on a very gentle river cruise. Skipper (me) thought a few tight turns might be a bit of fun - until baby, mum and the bilges were suddenly awash with baby sick.

Mum was not amused

It doesn't take much to make the little ones sick.
Old 20 January 2009, 18:12   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
We took our 8 month baby on a very gentle river cruise. Skipper (me) thought a few tight turns might be a bit of fun - until baby, mum and the bilges were suddenly awash with baby sick.

Mum was not amused

It doesn't take much to make the little ones sick.
Well a river cruise would be OK I guess

Just keep the tight turns to a minimum.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 20 January 2009, 18:52   #17

Town: Wrexham. North Wales
Boat name: FOG DUCKER
Make: OSPREY.
Engine: Suzuki
NAH!!!
Dont listen to 'em I take my ol' dog, a Jack russell terrier all the time in my boat, he's even got his own life jacket, AND HE LOVES RIBS, He's even called skipper.
Dogs and babies are nearly the same, (just that dogs dont cry as much)
Old 21 August 2010, 08:34   #18

Town: Nurnberg
Boat name: ENTERPRISE
Make: ZAR Formenti
Engine: Outb 150 HP 4Stroke
Hi,

my experience with my son was fantastic. Last year with 10 month, this year with 22 month. I build a car-seat in my ZAR and he always wanted go out by boat. He had to wear a lifejacket in the seat. This protected him from wind an supported the neck.

The only difference to the TS, we were located in Croatia and it was quite warm. And I got a speedlimit of 25 kn (Mum said so :-( )

cu

Stefan
Old 21 August 2010, 08:43   #19

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufi View Post
Hi,

my experience with my son was fantastic. Last year with 10 month, this year with 22 month. I build a car-seat in my ZAR and he always wanted go out by boat. He had to wear a lifejacket in the seat. This protected him from wind an supported the neck.

The only difference to the TS, we were located in Croatia and it was quite warm. And I got a speedlimit of 25 kn (Mum said so :-( )

cu

Stefan
It's more to do with seas state than temperature is the point were making...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 08:57   #20

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Have looked online at lifejackets and they certainly make them for as young as 3 months!
Ahh, how cute is that? I'm waiting for someone with enough courage to start a thread entitled: "Wives and ribs....do they go together?".