Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 November 2005, 09:49   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 447
Axle changing

So this winter i have decided to change the axles for some new ones, i could get the individual parts however have decide just to change the whole lot and its seem that cost v time this is the best option for me

I have looked at the axles to find out which avonride they are, thus i can order. I have also established that taking the wheels off one set of axles at a time (will put wood under as well for support) allows me to get to the bolts holding the axle on - all well and good to here and it means i dont have to put the boat in the water.

The tricky bit, i cannot shift the bolts, any suggestions. I was thinking of putting penetarting oil on, but the are quite rusty.

I am sure someone has hit the same problem. The trailer is RM
__________________

__________________
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 10:06   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
So this winter i have decided to change the axles for some new ones, i could get the individual parts however have decide just to change the whole lot and its seem that cost v time this is the best option for me

I have looked at the axles to find out which avonride they are, thus i can order. I have also established that taking the wheels off one set of axles at a time (will put wood under as well for support) allows me to get to the bolts holding the axle on - all well and good to here and it means i dont have to put the boat in the water.

The tricky bit, i cannot shift the bolts, any suggestions. I was thinking of putting penetarting oil on, but the are quite rusty.

I am sure someone has hit the same problem. The trailer is RM
Don't know about on a trailer but having restored several old vehicles I do know about rusty bolts!!!

WD40 works wonders - spray loads on - then loads more as it evaporates quite quickly.

Make sure you clean any rust off with a wire brush and then use a good socket that is a perfect tight fit. Use a breaker bar or similar or an old torque wrench you don't care about. It should move - depends on the size of course - if they are small - you may shear them off but if good quality bolts it's unlikely.

Are the bolts going into a blind hole or do they go staright through with nuts the other side? If the latter then you need to release the nuts first - no good just trying to turn the bolt.

I know people who have to resort to grinders and all sorts
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 10:38   #3
Member
 
pressman's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 373
stick some heat on them but be carefull you do not burn off any galvanise.

The only other option is to shear them off( grinder will dig into galvanise however hard you try not to) then replace bolts, or i presume they are U bolts, when new ones are fitted, get some tectil spray and coat them with this, good stuff but also, spray area where bolt/nut is going to stop with the same before fitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Don't know about on a trailer but having restored several old vehicles I do know about rusty bolts!!!

WD40 works wonders - spray loads on - then loads more as it evaporates quite quickly.

Make sure you clean any rust off with a wire brush and then use a good socket that is a perfect tight fit. Use a breaker bar or similar or an old torque wrench you don't care about. It should move - depends on the size of course - if they are small - you may shear them off but if good quality bolts it's unlikely.

Are the bolts going into a blind hole or do they go staright through with nuts the other side? If the latter then you need to release the nuts first - no good just trying to turn the bolt.

I know people who have to resort to grinders and all sorts
__________________
pressman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 11:31   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 447
Its attached using nuts and bolts, what i will do then is clean up the bolts the best i can, then put lots of WD or penetrating oil on and leave a while and see what happens over the next few weeks e.g keep putting it on and leaving for a week. Once i know they are moving then i will remove and put new nuts and bolts in, so when i get the axles (saving up ) it should be easy,,,,he says

After that heat then

After that call in the heavy mob
__________________
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 11:58   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
WD40 = light duty.

Get out the fekkn angle grinder and be done with it.


Use water resistant grease and stainless nuts when you reassemble it. Fixed for ever.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 12:03   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
If you're worried about the galvanising, whip 'em off with a hacksaw. If you use quality blades it won't be too difficult. I use water pump grease, it's evil!
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 12:47   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
WD40 = light duty.

Get out the fekkn angle grinder and be done with it.


Use water resistant grease and stainless nuts when you reassemble it. Fixed for ever.
Animal.....
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 13:21   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Animal.....
Skill man, skill.

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 13:27   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Real animals would put a petrol saw to it!! The precision tool of the "cut and shut" artiste!!
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 13:57   #10
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Jimbob if they are that rusty they will shear off with a socket and piece of drain pipe, might want to ask yourself how strong they are if they are that corroded. Doesn't the Avonride axle have sealed for life bearings like alko ? not my favourite type.

Pete
__________________

__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.