Old 25 March 2009, 20:24   #1

Town: Isle of Tiree
Boat name: AURORA
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 150s
axillry engine

just wondered what you guys views were on having axillary engines on the back . do you think i will need one my boat has the bracket and iv always had one on my other boats .but now im thinking it will add to much wight reduce speed etc what do you think?
Old 25 March 2009, 20:31   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
not a lot of help in your part of the world if you get a mechanical problem.
Old 25 March 2009, 22:19   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
It just takes time, lots of it!
I have only needed the aux once and that was off Coll not a million miles from you. I ended up coming back to Oban on just the aux then partial power on the main engine. I would have got home on the aux eventually as it was around 30miles.
After a few miles I managed to repair the main motor enough to get 16-17knots and we came home on this but the aux got us into the sound of Mull and would have got us home despite the distance.
Operating out there I would probably be thinking of twins just for the remoteness but at least an aux will get you back to shore instead of floating off to the US, I mean its not as it you can anchor out there
Old 25 March 2009, 22:30   #4

coll eh should of come to tiree instead of going back to oban ha. there always some other boat about tht could giv me a tow .dont no cant decide. thanks
Old 25 March 2009, 22:35   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
On the West Coast .. Carry one .. use it.. train with it and have a separate fuel supply for it,.. 6 Knots is better than none out here .. finding a lee shore may be all you need it for but thats why you should have it rather than run the risk of the wind and tide removing you from safety. I use the biggest I can store and handle, I have a purpose made stow point on deck, and a substantial bracket to mount it on the transom ,.. also I have a solution to draw fuel from the main tank for extended use if necessary
Old 25 March 2009, 22:52   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
6 knots is better than none round here too - if the prevailing westerly wind stays exactly westerly first landfall is 13000 miles away on the west coast of Chile

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2009, 22:55   #7

I might even be out your way regularly soon, I am told responsibilty for some premises on the island are coming my way soon and since I can't think of a way to avoid having them added to my portfolio I reckon I will need to start visiting every few months.
My is on the transom mouted ready to go and I don't think I would operate in this area without one as most times we operate with nobody else around. Its comforting to know you won't be totally stuck if something goes pop!
Old 26 March 2009, 08:58   #8

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Agree with Bruce, Stephen and Bigmuz, mine is permanently mounted and available for instant use. The weight is no problem, don't even notice it is there. Also make sure it can be fed from a different fuel source to the main engine. As the others have said it maybe slow but what is time compared ending up on the rocks or worse!

Keith
Old 26 March 2009, 09:37   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Fraz
agree with the rest of the guys. I carry a 4hp on the transom all the time especially where I cruise ( sound of jura) unfortunately I had to use it on one occassion coming back from Giha and was I glad I had it. Always have a seperate tank for it.
Cheers
J
Old 26 March 2009, 10:17   #10

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi Fraz
agree with the rest of the guys. I carry a 4hp on the transom all the time especially where I cruise ( sound of jura) unfortunately I had to use it on one occassion coming back from Giha and was I glad I had it. Always have a seperate tank for it.
Cheers
J
Me too. Same place. Even three knots is better than nothing. Had to use it once 'in anger' after I tried to run my main engine on water.

As an experiment I motored the four miles back up the loch using the 3.5 Johnson. Averaged 3 knots and, interestingly, used the same amount of fuel as the main engine at 23 knots cruising speed.
Old 26 March 2009, 11:22   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Intersting reading the views from the other end of the UK. All of my boating to date has been around / in the Solent where you can anchor most places if needed & worst case you can get a RNLI boat to you in about 10 minutes no matter where you are .

It makes me appreciate the advantages & disadvantages (ie lots of other boats around ! ) of being based down here.
Old 26 March 2009, 11:39   #12

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
A sea anchor would be a good idea as well, will hold you head into sea whilst you rig the aux.
Old 26 March 2009, 14:28   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
problem is is the sea and tidal conditions vairy so much in the uk from one area to another , but i would always go for an aux engine anyhow if possible, as large as possible within reason , as BRUCE B just said for remote places a twin set up is better ,i have been involved with a few incidents over the years where a small engine just wouldent push the boat against tide and the wind and it became a towing in job ,or that just because its the aux it never gets a run and it wouldent start when needed ,though i know a good few ribers on this site give their aux engine a run regular ,its piece of mind having a spare onboard but only if it works or will do the job . ....apparently if you do drift off from scotland Norways lovelly this time of year,,mart
Old 26 March 2009, 15:24   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
problem is is the sea and tidal conditions vairy so much in the uk from one area to another , but i would always go for an aux engine anyhow if possible, as large as possible within reason , as BRUCE B just said for remote places a twin set up is better ,i have been involved with a few incidents over the years where a small engine just wouldent push the boat against tide and the wind and it became a towing in job ,or that just because its the aux it never gets a run and it wouldent start when needed ,though i know a good few ribers on this site give their aux engine a run regular ,its piece of mind having a spare onboard but only if it works or will do the job . ....apparently if you do drift off from scotland Norways lovelly this time of year,,mart
mart
a hellava drift from tiree to Norway!! Up the west coast round to top and over
cheers
J
Old 26 March 2009, 17:34   #15

I use a Honda 2.3hp air cooled motor. I can pull start it either in the drive or water occasionallly which, because it can be done easily without having to flush, means it gets tested regularly and I know it works.
Old 26 March 2009, 18:06   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I use a Honda 2.3hp air cooled motor. I can pull start it either in the drive or water occasionallly which, because it can be done easily without having to flush, means it gets tested regularly and I know it works.
Yes Bruce I test my yami 4 regularly as well, for being gaught once I know the benefits of having an aux that works!
Old 26 March 2009, 18:16   #17

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Norways lovelly this time of year,,mart
No its not, its windy, cold and keeps trying to snow!
Old 26 March 2009, 18:42   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Yes Bruce I test my yami 4 regularly as well, for being gaught once I know the benefits of having an aux that works!
I know you have yours mounted jambo, I stow mine up front, and for me, testing the engine is all about deploying it as well, getting it over the transom safely and mounting it, and when I have a test day, I always pick a nasty wet'n windy day for it, since it shows up all the weaknesses in your procedures, and you can bet , that'll be the conditions in which you'll need it
Old 26 March 2009, 18:51   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I know you have yours mounted jambo, I stow mine up front, and for me, testing the engine is all about deploying it as well, getting it over the transom safely and mounting it, and when I have a test day, I always pick a nasty wet'n windy day for it, since it shows up all the weaknesses in your procedures, and you can bet , that'll be the conditions in which you'll need it
Hi I have toyed with the idea of mounting mine up front but the safety angle kinda put me of. Where do you sore yours as I would be interested>
J
Old 26 March 2009, 19:39   #20

thanks for the replys guys good advice cheers
fraz