Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 March 2013, 17:40   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Avon unstable at speed

Hi All
I need a little help with my new acquisition a 5.4m Avon Searider with the flooding hull sealed and a Honda BF75 hung on the back.
I took the boat out today for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with how quick it got to plane but it was very twitchy at 30+ .
It felt like it was perched on a peak and was just waiting to fall off , A couple of times I had to pull the throttle back sharply or it felt like I was going to flip over sideways.
Is this normal with deep v hulled ribs, I have never had this with my little caribe rib and I am often flying around at 35+ with no problems.

All help welcome
__________________

__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2013, 17:46   #2
NSS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 519
This should be interesting. Someone daring to suggest a Searider might be unstable. My guess is it must be a Chinese copy ;-)
__________________

__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2013, 18:25   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Marty
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 85 Origin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 89
Hi, it is quite surprising you can get this from your 75 four stroke. Normally SR 5.4 won't chine hop until about 37, 38 knots. My guess is you might be trimming the engine up a bit too much and rising the bow high. With the added weight of the 4 stroke might make a difference to trim. If you think you're not, then not sure about this. I have a 85 yamaha 2 stroke on a 5.4 and actually find it hard to chine hop until getting about 37 knots. A possibility is the build of the Deluxe version on the early models seamed to be lighter than rescue version. That might make a difference. Not sure which you have.
__________________
ribsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2013, 18:40   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,821
RIBase
The Honda 75 is a heavy lump as well, that might contribute a bit.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2013, 19:02   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsta View Post
Hi, it is quite surprising you can get this from your 75 four stroke. Normally SR 5.4 won't chine hop until about 37, 38 knots. My guess is you might be trimming the engine up a bit too much and rising the bow high. With the added weight of the 4 stroke might make a difference to trim. If you think you're not, then not sure about this. I have a 85 yamaha 2 stroke on a 5.4 and actually find it hard to chine hop until getting about 37 knots. A possibility is the build of the Deluxe version on the early models seamed to be lighter than rescue version. That might make a difference. Not sure which you have.
I am unsure of model
I think it was trimmed correctly, the boat was level on plane but as soon as I nailed it I thought I was going to lose control a feeling i have never had on a boat before.
Do you think fins may give a little more stability.
__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2013, 20:19   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,821
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplonker View Post
Do you think fins may give a little more stability.
No.

Changing the weight distribution a bit might.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2013, 20:47   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: New York
Boat name: Aperture
Make: 7m Willard /Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 6BT / 50Hp Yamaha
MMSI: 338108624
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 23
I have a SR4 w/ a 50 2stroke Yamaha and put fins on the outboard once, which made it extremely unstable. With no fins she starts chine walking at 35+ if trimmed up too high with only one person in the boat.
__________________
bkils@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 01:28   #8
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,238
We had modern 90 2stroke opti on 5.4


It flew, but only chine walked right at top end.

There's something amiss
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 01:37   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
I only had me and my son on the boat ,The boat is set up with a jockey console positioned centrally and a fuel tank directly behind the console . At low speed the boat sits level .
Will the boat feel more stable with more passengers ?
Would the console be better positioned further forward?
Am I trimming the boat wrongly ?
I was taught to trim the boat by getting up to speed throttle back to bring the bow
down and get the top of the outboard level, you should now be at optimum speed.
__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 01:51   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,029
Trim it all the way in and then trim it out slowly until it starts to feel wobbly.

Things to look for, trim tab behind prob needs adjusting, the engine should be offset to the starboard on the transome, get some more weight upfront. Also check to make sure that your gear box is a righthand (clockwise) rotating.

It might be when it's right up on the planing pad you are not used to it. Can you get another member to drive it?

We are out today if you are in the south?
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 01:57   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,457
RIBase
I've used Joc's boat before and never found her unstable. However she was always loaded.

With 1 person and no kit on board it sounds to me like a center of gravity thing.

Trim as above or make sure you have enough weight in front of the console. to balance the fuel tanks etc that are behind it.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 02:01   #12
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 908
Mine is stable until 36-37 knots, chine walking in 30 knots, no way. How about slack in steering system, that might explain the issue?
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 02:05   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Trim it all the way in and then trim it out slowly until it starts to feel wobbly.

Things to look for, trim tab behind prob needs adjusting, the engine should be offset to the starboard on the transome, get some more weight upfront. Also check to make sure that your gear box is a righthand (clockwise) rotating.

It might be when it's right up on the planing pad you are not used to it. Can you get another member to drive it?

We are out today if you are in the south?
Thanks for the offer I am in the southwest ( Bristol ) and it would be great for someone else to try the boat but unfortunetly I have a lot of work on today.

I think I will try it with a little more weight in the front .
Are you saying the outboard should be sat slightly to the left on the transom?
__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 02:08   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplonker View Post
Thanks for the offer I am in the southwest ( Bristol ) and it would be great for someone else to try the boat but unfortunetly I have a lot of work on today.

I think I will try it with a little more weight in the front .
Are you saying the outboard should be sat slightly to the left on the transom?
As you are standing at the back of the boat and looking at the outboard it should be offset to the right. This is the correct way to rig it but many have their outboards in the middle.

I have an sr too that I hope to take out next weekend?
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 04:31   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I've used Joc's boat before and never found her unstable. However she was always loaded.

With 1 person and no kit on board it sounds to me like a center of gravity thing.

Trim as above or make sure you have enough weight in front of the console. to balance the fuel tanks etc that are behind it.
Thanks
I think the weight maybe the issue
__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 04:35   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
As you are standing at the back of the boat and looking at the outboard it should be offset to the right. This is the correct way to rig it but many have their outboards in the middle.

I have an sr too that I hope to take out next weekend?
I have referbished many old boats all with outboards but never refitted the outboard with an offset, Always straight down the middle.

If factory purchased does a boat come with the outboard offset ?
What are the benefits ?
__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 04:43   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Mine is stable until 36-37 knots, chine walking in 30 knots, no way. How about slack in steering system, that might explain the issue?
The steering is fairly new so I don't think its that.
I think it maybe not enough weight up front or could just be me not used to it and this is how it feels.
__________________
teamplonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 04:45   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 928
The Engine is in the wrong place Alan P
__________________
Alan Priddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 05:25   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplonker View Post
I have referbished many old boats all with outboards but never refitted the outboard with an offset, Always straight down the middle.

If factory purchased does a boat come with the outboard offset ?
What are the benefits ?
My Humber 5.3 was factory fitted with a Merc 90 4str. offset 2 inches to starboard. I believe the idea is to counteract the propeller torque which, when planing, will tend to make the boat heel to port.

With one or two people aboard it could start to chine walk beyond 35 knots (max 39). In calm water (and I wouldn't want to go that fast in lumpy water) I found harsh, WOT acceleration would initiate a chine walk. With gradual acceleration it remained stable.

The Merc was replaced by a Honda 90, which is around 30 kg lighter. It took me a season to sort out the fore and aft gear stowage and get the weight distribution right so I got the same performance out of the boat. With less weight on the transom, she feels more stable flat out too. Only chine walked once since, again as a result of harsh acceleration at near 40 knots.

Of course, I know it's not a Searider.
__________________
alystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 05:36   #20
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 908
Can't swear my engine is totally in center(need to check) but have a vague memory that previous owner moved the engine from offset to centre of transom, so not so sure that is the issue, as it works fine on this boat.

At least I would not start with moving the engine sideways at this stage. But would try another propeller and also playing with weights also sideways. My console is offset to starboard.

SR 5.4 dos not have a significant planning pad, but think it would have less high speed chine walk if it would.
__________________

__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×