Click Here to Login

Old 30 October 2010, 18:51   #1

Town: surrey
Make: Ribcraft, bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 60,tohatsu 3.5.
Avon Sr4 suitable for family of 4?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of these boats, it would mainly just be used by myself but I would like to be able to take the rest of the family(2 adults and 2 teenage boys(13 and 15)) out in it occasionally just for fun rides and trips to the IOW. would an sr4 be suitable for this?

thanks in advance
Old 30 October 2010, 18:54   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface14 View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of these boats, it would mainly just be used by myself but I would like to be able to take the rest of the family(2 adults and 2 teenage boys(13 and 15)) out in it occasionally just for fun rides and trips to the IOW. would an sr4 be suitable for this?

thanks in advance
Not really. OK, just, for four teenagers, but in other than flat water it would be a chore.
Old 30 October 2010, 19:26   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Not really. OK, just, for four teenagers, but in other than flat water it would be a chore.
Agreed.

You'd be able to seat 4 prople in an SR4 Delux on back to back bucket seats, but there's not much room for anything else on board and the ride wouldm't be very comfortable in Solent conditions.
Old 30 October 2010, 20:01   #4

Thanks for the quick responses, looks like I'm going to have to re think. what else might be worth looking at for about £3000?
Old 30 October 2010, 20:52   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Sr...5.4
Old 30 October 2010, 21:11   #6

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Not always the case...

I have run four 4m seariders in total, and I have taken 4 adults regulary laucnhing at the top of Southampton water to Isle of Wight, Lymington, Portsmouth and all sorts of water sports.

Go for max 50hp and centre console, seat two on console and one on either tube and will be fine. Yes if you get wind over tide will be a bit uncomfortable, but having been out in a Solent 6.5m RIB which could not even get on the plane in the same conditions, I would take the searider anytime.. and is a cracking boat to drive.

Also depends what prop you run and get a 50hp 3 or 4 cyl 2 stroke with powertrim and electric start so can adjust underway.

I have been out with some larger boats 5metre boats and they have been left behind..

Don't get a 40hp with 2 cylinders and manual trim or you will struggle!!
Old 30 October 2010, 21:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaws View Post
but having been out in a Solent 6.5m RIB which could not even get on the plane in the same conditions, I would take the searider anytime..
Was your Granny helming the 6.5?

Owning a 7m Vipermax and a 4m SR and having owned a 6.5m Vipermax, I can confirm that the above is a load of bollox.
Old 30 October 2010, 21:46   #8

That may be your opion..

Well Mollers, do you want to see the photos of going from Southampton to the Isle of Wight?
Fishface14 asked for opions.. and maybe doesn't have a budget for a 7m RIB..
I have owned 4m, 4.7m, 5.4m and 8.4m seariders.. and for £3000 or so you can't beat a 4m searider.. for £20,000 sure go for a 7m RIB but not a solent RIB as they are not very good!

I have also been out in a 5.4m Avon Searider in the middle of the Atlantic, and the middle of the Indian Ocean so know they are good boats.. how far offshore have you been Mollers?

Oh and for information when I was 15 and had a budget of £600 I used to launch at Marchwood and go across to the Isle of Wight in an 11ft Dell quay dory with a mariner 25hp, with 3 or 4 people, so to go in a 4m Searider is not such a myth...

Also Fishface14 have you seen:

The 4m Round Scotland RIB Challenge is set to provide the ribster with one of the greatest and most unique challenges possible - to circumnavigate Scotland and its isles from Inverness to Inverness in 4 metre RIBs.

History
RIB International, the organiser of the event, will be entering a 4m Avon Searider. This is the very same craft that Michael Alexander and Richard Frere employed 20 years ago, when in 1998, they achieved the accolade of being the first people to complete the 500 mile course in a RIB. This achievement in turn gave birth to the most famous RIB challenge of all time, The Round Scotland RIB Race.

Have you achieved that in your 7m RIB mr Mollers?

No thought not..... but remember me going to the Isle of Wight from Marchwood a distance of what 8 miles... in a 4m RIB is BOLLOX...

So to the thread starter Fishface14, maybe ask on hear for someone to take you out in a 4m searider..

I have recently bought a 4m Flatacaft of ancient origins and have a tiller steered Yamaha 25 for it and will be going to the Isle of Wight from Southampton.. granted when they cancel the Red funnel ferries due to the weather, I probably won't go either because that would be stupid.... but I am sure Mollers in his Vipermax will be there, taking his Granny out for some wave jumping action.

And as both my Granny's are dead, if they were helming then as you say indeed
Quote:
Was your Granny helming the 6.5?

a load of bollox.
Old 30 October 2010, 21:47   #9

Fishface14...

What is your budget?
Where you launching from?
How often will the family be joining you?
Old 30 October 2010, 22:40   #10

You inferred that a 4m SR is somehow superior in sea to a 6.5m Solent, this is bollox and of no help to the OP whatsoever.
I won't bother to comment on other guff.
Old 31 October 2010, 09:37   #11

Solent rib

It is from my experience that going head into wind against the tide in the 7m Solent with 250hp on the back with the console and seating pods for 6 people right aft, that due to there being absolutely no weight in the bow due to the tappered tubes and the owner specifying they wanted all the weight aft the RIB just wouldn't get on the plane. I was a paying customer evern and I had to get two of the to shuffle forward to get the bow down..

Similar conditions in the SR4 meant I could get on the plane and actually make prgress - sure I got very wet but atleast was moving..
The 6.5m Scoprion we we also running had no problem because the seats were in the in middle of the boat and it was fine.
Old 31 October 2010, 09:42   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've got a similar sized boat and it could reasonably fit 4 adults - but it will be quite cosy. Its certainly ok for the occassional trip across the solent in nice weather, and would make it round the island in reasonable conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaws View Post
Go for max 50hp and centre console, seat two on console and one on either tube and will be fine. Yes if you get wind over tide will be a bit uncomfortable, but having been out in a Solent 6.5m RIB which could not even get on the plane in the same conditions, I would take the searider anytime.. and is a cracking boat to drive.
I suppose thats quite a good way of make or breaking them! If their are "adventurous" and dry suited up then they might love that. Otherwise they'll hate it and ensure you get the boat to yourself from then on! I'd suggest if the OP is looking at a 3000 budget and using it with the family in anything other than ideal conditions he needs to spend about 1/3rd of his budget on drysuits, possibly geckos, good gloves, etc - to keep the family happy.

Personally i'd rather my family were sitting on seats inside a solent 6.5 (even if at displacement speed for some bizzare reason) than bouncing over waves perched on top of the tubes of a 4m boat.

I don't think mollers was criticising the SR4, having towed his dead Vipermax home with one - just questioning whether it was enjoyable 4up in poor conditions - I think you'd definitely want to take a look and preferably a trip in one with the family and canvas their honest opinions. As one person's adventure is another's near death experience!

For the budget involved you are probably looking at something small or something old and tired.
Old 31 October 2010, 09:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
....... you are probably looking at something small ,old and tired.
As does Mrs. Pol occasionally
Old 31 October 2010, 10:06   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
As does Mrs. Pol occasionally
Just so long as she doesn't get any grand ideas about a winter refurb project
Old 31 October 2010, 10:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Just so long as she doesn't get any grand ideas about a winter refurb project
A good 'fogging' should suffice.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:54   #16
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
I have a sr4 with the back to back seating and go over the sound of jura in it with 4 /5 at times, I have a 40 on it, its ok with 4 but not too good with 5 would be better with a 50 hp on the back where I launch its about 20 miles over to jura so it is possible to cover some distance.
Old 31 October 2010, 17:19   #17

Thanks for all the replies, its helped a lot.

I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and go for an Sr4 as the family will only be joining me a couple of days a year, and only in nice weather. I don't think I would be able to get a much better boat for my £3000 budget and also, it seems like a nice size because I will be towing it around to different locations to launch.
Old 31 October 2010, 17:27   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface14 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, its helped a lot.

I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and go for an Sr4 as the family will only be joining me a couple of days a year, .

Wise move, . There aren't any boats that I can think of that are more seawrthy especialy for the money.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2010, 18:36   #19

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I have a sr4 with the back to back seating and go over the sound of jura in it with 4 /5 at times, I have a 40 on it, its ok with 4 but not too good with 5 would be better with a 50 hp on the back where I launch its about 20 miles over to jura so it is possible to cover some distance.
Do you ?! Fair play, I clearly don't need a new boat, I just need some balls !
Old 31 October 2010, 18:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
I just need some balls !
Where would you like them?