Old 01 November 2010, 11:31   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I have a sr4 with the back to back seating and go over the sound of jura in it with 4 /5 at times, I have a 40 on it, its ok with 4 but not too good with 5 would be better with a 50 hp on the back where I launch its about 20 miles over to jura so it is possible to cover some distance.
I also have played with a few SR4s, and have taken an 11' dory on a 40 mile round trip by tiller control. If you are only going 4 up once every third solstice, buy a prop an inch or so down in pitch on your normal 1 or 2 up prop & 40 will be more than adequate. Not as fast, but it won't be as fast 4 up anyway.
Old 01 November 2010, 18:14   #22

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Engine: 90 yamaha
I was lucky enough (I thought so but some on here will differ no doubt!) to buy a 2001 5 meter humber assault in very tidy condition with no patches,with a 2003 mariner 40 on a breakback trailer off ebay for £3300 two years ago,the general opinion from everyone thats seen it is that I knicked it. So you could get something bigger and comfier for four people in your budget if you have time to look around and buy in the depths of winter (I got mine in the summer but just fell lucky ,plus they failed to list it with PTT and didn't reply to questions,I blew the picture up and could see the pump)
The bigger the better I would think for four people?
But if you find one on ebay don't ask advice on here because then everyone will know about it including all the dealers and people like me that buy and sell stuff for a living ;-)
You could PM a couple of the knowledgable ones that don't appear to be traders though for advice perhaps??
Old 05 November 2010, 21:21   #23

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
You'll be fine with a SR4m

My first RIB was a 4m Deluxe with a 50hp Yamaha. Used it all over the solent, mostly 2 up and it was great.
4 up it struggled to get on the plane if it was at all rough - but in retrospect I think this was probably down to the big propeller and me never having serviced the engine. Back to back seating not great for the rear passengers.

Current Searider is a 4m Rescue spec with a Yamaha 30 2 stroke. Rescue spec means centre console. Mostly used on my own for work - popping across the river or over to Cowes for jobs. Occasionally used by the family on the river and has also been used as a stand in boat by a sea school when their fancy rib went grumpy.
As said before the rescue spec is ideal - perfect one up, cosy two up, space on the tubes 4 up. Would recommend additional handles on the console and a 50hp for regular 4 person use.

Not sure what some of the other posters are thinking when suggesting dry suits and Geko helmets though.

Also, it's very easy for some of the wealthier posters, who have the budget for a larger boat, to recommend that a 4m isn't suitable. Look at posters profiles to see where they're coming from.

A 4m Searider will be fine on good days.

I also had an 11' Orkney Dory and took it to the finish of the 1989/90 Whitbread round the world race. Got all the way from Southampton to Hurst.

Finally, if you buy a good condition SR4m with a 50hp, if it turns out not to be suited to your needs you'll be able to sell it on in an instant.
Old 05 November 2010, 22:18   #24

Town: teignmouth
Boat name: blue lightening
Make: ribtec
Engine: petrol outboard 90hp
My 2p : it's a great boat the sr4 for a blast one or two up. Inshore fishing or rings whatever but I'd look at a 5m as a minimum for 4 people. Also it will give you a bit more space and comfort and still easy to tow & launch etc. You'll pick up something for 3k this time of year, I just missed a tidy 5.4 searider with a 70hp merc went for about 2500 on eBay. I've had 4.2m rib now have a 5.35 I wouldn't go smaller. All the best
Old 05 November 2010, 22:37   #25

Town: surrey
Make: Ribcraft, bombard
Engine: Yam 60,tohatsu 3.5.
thanks this has really made me think lol. I really like the Sr 5.4s and know I could get one within my budget. the only reason I'm holding back on getting one is because I've always thought it would be to heavy to tow around every time i wanted to use it (bearing in mind it will mainly be towed behind a old camper van). maybe, just maybe I could get away with it????
Old 06 November 2010, 02:07   #26

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface14 View Post
(bearing in mind it will mainly be towed behind a old camper van). maybe, just maybe I could get away with it????
What camper van do you have?
I tow a 1500kg rig behind a 10 year old Ducato and it's fine, provided I choose the slipways carefully.
Old 06 November 2010, 08:00   #27

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaws View Post
I have also been out in a 5.4m Avon Searider in the middle of the Atlantic, and the middle of the Indian Ocean so know they are good boats. how far offshore have you been Mollers?
What you took a 5.4 searider into the middle of the Atlantic How did you carry all the fuel

Or

Are you saying that you got dropped into the midde of the Atlantic from a ship. In which case what a load of bollox

So you happened to have a bad experience in a badly laid out Solent, WTF has that got to do with the origial question? I have been in an SR4, a 5.4 and I have owned a 5.2 meter rib, now own a 6.5

Trust me, I know which I would prefer to be out in the solent when it kicks up rough.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2010, 13:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What camper van do you have?
Its a 25 year old VW
Old 06 November 2010, 20:01   #29

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Well i tow my zapcat and its 40hp 2stroke behind my 23 year old vw t25. its the two litre watercooled model and its fine so long as you are careful picking your slips. If you are using the 1600 i think youll struggle unless its the turbo diesel which will probably do just fine. Double points if you have a synchro!

Dont forget a t25 plus trailer is a long, heavy rig. Drive carefully.
Old 06 November 2010, 20:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Trust me, I know which I would prefer to be out in the solent when it kicks up rough.
yes-the house with tv/fire on!

cheers
Old 06 November 2010, 21:11   #31

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
yes-the house with tv/fire on!

cheers

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2010, 22:09   #32

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What you took a 5.4 searider into the middle of the Atlantic How did you carry all the fuel

Or

Are you saying that you got dropped into the midde of the Atlantic from a ship. In which case what a load of bollox

So you happened to have a bad experience in a badly laid out Solent, WTF has that got to do with the origial question? I have been in an SR4, a 5.4 and I have owned a 5.2 meter rib, now own a 6.5

I actually prefer the 8.4m Searider I had... but for kicks driving the 4m in rough stuff is crazy fun!
The 5.4m was launched from a ship yes, to do transfers and in the very big swell of the Atlantic was great fun.

As Fishface has now said he would consider a 5.4m searider get it.. much better than the 4m version in the rough...
BUT if can only have a 4m boat then in it's class searider is best.
Old 07 November 2010, 07:37   #33
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_elliott View Post
Well i tow my zapcat and its 40hp 2stroke behind my 23 year old vw t25. its the two litre watercooled model and its fine so long as you are careful picking your slips. If you are using the 1600 i think youll struggle unless its the turbo diesel which will probably do just fine. Double points if you have a synchro!

Dont forget a t25 plus trailer is a long, heavy rig. Drive carefully.
The zapcat+trailer is probably 1/2 the weight of a 5.4 though.A 5.4 Searider usually weighs in at just shy of 750kg on an unbraked trailer when empty and at a guess probably closer to 900 on a braked trailer when fuelled up and ready to go.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 18:42   #34

update

just to let you all know, I've ended up buying a zodiac pro (the one in the for sale section). so far so good! looks perfect for what i wanted. CANT WAIT TO GET IT ON THE WATER!!!!!!!
Old 29 December 2010, 19:44   #35

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface14 View Post
just to let you all know, I've ended up buying a zodiac pro (the one in the for sale section). so far so good! looks perfect for what i wanted. CANT WAIT TO GET IT ON THE WATER!!!!!!!
Nice boat to start off on. Should be enough room to squeeze an auxiliary engine on the transom for peace of mind. Enjoy.
Old 29 December 2010, 20:39   #36

thanks. and yes, I've got a tohatsu 3.5hp ready to go on the back as soon as i get a bracket to put it on
Old 29 December 2010, 20:45   #37

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Good choice.

I've got a 2005 Twatsoo 3.5hp Std Shaft outboard here if anyone's looking for one. Belongs to a pal of mine who no longer has a use for it. I doubt it's run for more than an hour from new. He's looking for £300.