Old 03 December 2013, 21:16   #201

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Take one super-shiny, virgin, console, locate the centreline, affix template and begin drilling. What could possibly go wrong?

As Johnny famously said to his wife when the credits were rolliing at the end of their cookery show: 'may all your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's'

Quayside and Leisure today, B&Q tomorrow eh Chris!
don't do B&Q Tony, land of the devils it will be a case of measure, measure, measure, drill very carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Awesome Chris. Nice complimentary name too!!
thanks HP, name took a while to reach, third Enuff rib so far, who knows what's next eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0LF View Post
I've never seen such a beautiful SR4!
Absolute enthusiasm in our forums!
Congratulations on your great boat Chris!
you are very kind Wolf, I'm just so pleased to how found the right people to do the work for us, mainly due to the recommendations of Mike Whitham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Louie is the best in the business Chris, you should of told me you were in my neck of the woods i could of met you for a coffee. Kate's a sweetheart ain't she I hope you didn't get to close that boxer of hers it would of had you in its jaws

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
I sneaked in, n sneaked out again, didn't want the BSG knowing we wuz about I'll give you a bell on the next trip, SBS trailer due soooooooon Kate & Louie are great, Florence the boxer seems to be the boss though
Old 03 December 2013, 21:40   #202

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0LF View Post
I've never seen such a beautiful SR4!
Absolute enthusiasm in our forums!
Congratulations on your great boat Chris!
I agree. another well done!!
Old 03 December 2013, 21:46   #203

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post

I agree. another well done!!
Bloody el Caton, your gunna av a ed like Birkenhead soon. Lol lol
Old 04 December 2013, 05:56   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hutcheon View Post
Bloody el Caton, your gunna av a ed like Birkenhead soon. Lol lol
not me pal, jus gonna enjoy getting it wet in 2014

jus need to sort the engine out, fit the steering, do a bit of wiring
Old 04 December 2013, 09:49   #205

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Will arguably the smartest SR4 going once complete.

Anyone got pics of others that have been totally refurbed with new kit?
Old 04 December 2013, 10:28   #206

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
don't do B&Q
Nor me! J R Webster, by the Tranmere oil terminal roundabout, is the place for 'proper' stainless fixings, quality tools, etc in our neighbourhood.
Old 04 December 2013, 15:58   #207

Quote:
Nor me! J R Webster, by the Tranmere oil terminal roundabout, is the place for 'proper' stainless fixings, quality tools, etc in our neighbourhood.
there's a branch of Websters in Queensferry too, just round the corner from where I hide in the warm all day
Old 04 December 2013, 16:19   #208

RIBase
Quote:
there's a branch of Websters in Queensferry too, just round the corner from where I hide in the warm all day
Yeah, that's right. My guys were in there virtually every day for 6 months earlier this year sourcing bits and bobs for the Gwynt y Mor export cable installations. Those Mag drill bits ain't cheap!
Old 18 December 2013, 07:42   #209

SR4 outboard offset

I guess this will cause a bit of debate, but here goes: hopefully I'll be ready to fit the engine in the New Year, I've got a new Honda 50 for the SR4, and have been mulling over the for and against of using an offset. Heino (Palsteg) very kindy posted a offset chart some time ago, but to be honest I'm not brave enough to just go with the 38mm to starboard suggested in the table. The transom has never been drilled for an engine, I think it must have just had a small outboard in its previous life. So, what do you all think, offset or not ......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf offset (1).pdf (67.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 18 December 2013, 11:04   #210

RIBase
Offsets

For what it's worth, my 90hp is offset 2 inches to starboard and, as you know the console is offset too.

Add my 18 stone into the mix and the offset table could require recalculating!

Offset

ps: I think you should sell tickets to the event. You'll be sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage when you line that drill up on your shiny new gelcoat
Old 18 December 2013, 11:10   #211

Quote:
For what it's worth, my 90hp is offset 2 inches to starboard and, as you know the console is offset too.

Add my 18 stone into the mix and the offset table could require recalculating!

Offset

ps: I think you should sell tickets to the event. You'll be sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage when you line that drill up on your shiny new gelcoat
thanks Tony, are you sure about the 18 stone

you could be right about drilling the transom, Andrew said he's got an appointment he's yet to make on that day, whatever day it is
Old 19 December 2013, 19:32   #212

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
I like the look of your boat Chris I just dropped my SR off at mike Whitham today , what a lovely place he has got there
Old 20 December 2013, 07:08   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Linda View Post
I like the look of your boat Chris I just dropped my SR off at mike Whitham today , what a lovely place he has got there
Hi Tim, yes looking good so far Mike is a nice guy and he's got a really good setup, be a bit chilly at the moment I guess
Old 20 December 2013, 10:58   #214

Town: near Kiel, baltic sea
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30 4-stroke
Quote:
I guess this will cause a bit of debate, but here goes: hopefully I'll be ready to fit the engine in the New Year, I've got a new Honda 50 for the SR4, and have been mulling over the for and against of using an offset......offset or not ......
Hi Chris,

very nice SR4 job, better as new, congratulations to that one!

Of cause it will be "hard" to drill holes into the undrilled transom, and of cause you do´nt like to do that twice just for experiments.

Your console is mounted in the center line, i´m right? (not offset)

The prop will produce torque, so that torque will turn your SR4 body against that torque (against clockwise) if the prop works clockwise.
There is no "magic" in it, thats normal physics. Reaction and re-reaction.
Especially deep V hulls react more sensitve to that prop torque, if you ride on the tip of the hull, instead of rib´s, who drag the tubes trough
the water.

If you "feel" not "brave" enough, to go the full 38 mm offset to starbord, may be little less?

And of cause it not looks "so nice" to your propper SR4, if the engine looks mounted kind of "strange", cause it´s not in the middle, as everybody´s eyes whants the engine to be, to look nice.

So you have to ask yourself, if you prefer a propper look, or if you prefer a fine balanced riding SR4.

Very best regards

Heino
Old 20 December 2013, 11:14   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsteg View Post
Hi Chris,

very nice SR4 job, better as new, congratulations to that one!

Of cause it will be "hard" to drill holes into the undrilled transom, and of cause you do´nt like to do that twice just for experiments.

Your console is mounted in the center line, i´m right? (not offset)

The prop will produce torque, so that torque will turn your SR4 body against that torque (against clockwise) if the prop works clockwise.
There is no "magic" in it, thats normal physics. Reaction and re-reaction.
Especially deep V hulls react more sensitve to that prop torque, if you ride on the tip of the hull, instead of rib´s, who drag the tubes trough
the water.

If you "feel" not "brave" enough, to go the full 38 mm offset to starbord, may be little less?

And of cause it not looks "so nice" to your propper SR4, if the engine looks mounted kind of "strange", cause it´s not in the middle, as everybody´s eyes whants the engine to be, to look nice.

So you have to ask yourself, if you prefer a propper look, or if you prefer a fine balanced riding SR4.

Very best regards

Heino
Thanks Heino, you have hit the nail on the head yes, you are correct, the console is centre mounted, so in theory everything will be balanced, therefore to keep that balance the offset will be required.

Come January I will need to get on with installing the engine, steering, gauges etc, so I will post some photos of progress

Many thanks for your input Heino

Cheers, Chris
Old 20 December 2013, 11:46   #216

CTC Marine & Leisure, Stockton On Tees

I've thought long and hard before posting anything about the issues I've had regarding the purchase of the Honda 50, and to be honest the reason I've left it till now is I didn't want to make things any worse, but as I've now got the parts I've been waiting for, this may save anyone else suffering the same problem

I bought and paid for a new Honda 50HP, still crated and a complete engine with all ancillaries, from CTC on 1st July, despite many repeated requests on my behalf to arrange for delivery I ended up going for the engine myself on 24th September, they knew I was coming and was expected. When we arrived I was told that the engine was complete, but that the ancillaries were missing, not what I was expecting, but was also promised that everything was on order and would be delivered direct to me. That's were the grief really started, in hindsight I should have asked for a full refund at that point and left the engine where it was, but as I was due to go into hospital the following week for an operation I just wanted to get things moving, I now know that was a mistake there followed some "discussions" as to if the ancillaries were ever included in the deal, but luckily enough the invoice I had been sent did mention them! So, to cut a long boring story short, the missing parts eventually arrived this week, so I can now get on with fitting the engine etc, I may decide to upgrade some of the fittings, but I don't mind paying the extra as that's my decision.

So, all I wanted to do was to make anyone thinking of dealing with CTC Marine & Leisure to be aware of what I've been through. All I wanted was a new Honda 50, it was a good deal on a new 2012 engine that had never been out of the crate, but what followed was a nightmare and I don't know why, I paid in full by credit card on 1st July, I was very straightforward with them but just met a brick wall every time, not a good experience!

I would just like to add my thanks to the support of two people:

Peter from Boats&Outboards, I spotted the original advert in Boats&Outboards and Peter has been very supportive and offered lots of advice for which I have been very grateful.

Cameron from Clyde Outboard Services, I was originally looking at a 2nd hand engine from them which didn't work out for me, Cameron did try to match the price that CTC quoted but couldn't, which should have raised alarm bell with me, I'm blaming the effects of the chemo Cameron has also been good enough to check up on the availability of some of the items CTC claimed weren't available from Honda. It will be something I regret for a long time to come that I didn't buy the new engine from Cameron, it may have cost me more money but I'm sure it would have been a painless process, unlike what I've experienced with CTC. Thank you Cameron, you get from me mate

Apologies for boring you all with my woes, but hopefully it will save someone else the grief
Old 20 December 2013, 12:25   #217

Town: near Kiel, baltic sea
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Tohatsu 30 4-stroke
Hey Chris,

it´s always the same story. People want so save some money (of cause i can understand that) and don´t buy at a local dealer or at the trusted
workshop, who repairs stuff local, with experienced employers.

In germany we say: The stupid and the stingy pay double!

Local dealers need to earn more money to be able to offer the service/ showrooms they do. Internet locust dealers yust need
a phone, no investments in showrooms and good employers! (Often bad payed employers, amazon is a good example. They don´t want (need) to earn money, they yust grow on cost of
everybody else dealing with similar items.)

But: If that engine would have been delivered earlyer, you would have mounted it not offset, i´m sure, and that chance would have
been gone from you.

Alway´s realize the positive in the negative!
Old 20 December 2013, 15:03   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsteg View Post
Hey Chris,

it´s always the same story. People want so save some money (of cause i can understand that) and don´t buy at a local dealer or at the trusted
workshop, who repairs stuff local, with experienced employers.

In germany we say: The stupid and the stingy pay double!

Local dealers need to earn more money to be able to offer the service/ showrooms they do. Internet locust dealers yust need
a phone, no investments in showrooms and good employers! (Often bad payed employers, amazon is a good example. They don´t want (need) to earn money, they yust grow on cost of
everybody else dealing with similar items.)

But: If that engine would have been delivered earlyer, you would have mounted it not offset, i´m sure, and that chance would have
been gone from you.

Alway´s realize the positive in the negative!
Hi Heino,

I would agree with you to a point, and I have used local dealers before, but this wasn't just some internet dealer with just a website, it's a recognised Honda main dealer with a proper chandlers, workshop etc, I did check that before I agreed on the deal, if it had just been a website I'd have run a mile!

But, on the other hand, I've not been in good enough health to have fitted the engine as yet, and have enjoyed the experience of meeting some really nice people getting the work done on the SR4, so I'm grateful to all those involved, see I'm trying to be positive

Cheers,
Chris
Old 20 December 2013, 15:16   #219

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
[QUOTE=Chris Caton;588687]I've thought long and hard before posting anything about the issues I've had regarding the purchase of the Honda 50, and to be honest the reason I've left it till now is I didn't want to make things any worse, but as I've now got the parts I've been waiting for, this may save anyone else suffering the same problem

I bought and paid for a new Honda 50HP, still crated and a complete engine with all ancillaries, from CTC on 1st July, despite many repeated requests on my behalf to arrange for delivery I ended up going for the engine myself on 24th September, they knew I was coming and was expected. When we arrived I was told that the engine was complete, but that the ancillaries were missing, not what I was expecting, but was also promised that everything was on order and would be delivered direct to me. That's were the grief really started, in hindsight I should have asked for a full refund at that point and left the engine where it was, but as I was due to go into hospital the following week for an operation I just wanted to get things moving, I now know that was a mistake there followed some "discussions" as to if the ancillaries were ever included in the deal, but luckily enough the invoice I had been sent did mention them! So, to cut a long boring story short, the missing parts eventually arrived this week, so I can now get on with fitting the engine etc, I may decide to upgrade some of the fittings, but I don't mind paying the extra as that's my decision.

So, all I wanted to do was to make anyone thinking of dealing with CTC Marine & Leisure to be aware of what I've been through. All I wanted was a new Honda 50, it was a good deal on a new 2012 engine that had never been out of the crate, but what followed was a nightmare and I don't know why, I paid in full by credit card on 1st July, I was very straightforward with them but just met a brick wall every time, not a good experience!

I would just like to add my thanks to the support of two people:

Peter from Boats&Outboards, I spotted the original advert in Boats&Outboards and Peter has been very supportive and offered lots of advice for which I have been very grateful.

Cameron from Clyde Outboard Services, I was originally looking at a 2nd hand engine from them which didn't work out for me, Cameron did try to match the price that CTC quoted but couldn't, which should have raised alarm bell with me, I'm blaming the effects of the chemo Cameron has also been good enough to check up on the availability of some of the items CTC claimed weren't available from Honda. It will be something I regret for a long time to come that I didn't buy the new engine from Cameron, it may have cost me more money but I'm sure it would have been a painless process, unlike what I've experienced with CTC. Thank you Cameron, you get from me mate

Apologies for boring you all with my woes, but hopefully it will save someone else the grief

thanks for sharing this Chris
Old 20 December 2013, 15:28   #220

thanks for sharing this Chris

no problem, hopefully it will do good, live n learn eh