Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 November 2013, 16:38   #121
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post


yes, I've still got the original makers plate, I can take a couple of pics and post them so you can see what it looks like, can't say I've seen them advertised but I'll have another look for you
Thanks for posting the pic Chris

Think i'l get my vinyl sticker making mate of mine to see.if he can knock that up in black vinyl for me to stick on a stainless back plate.

Won't be perfect but at least it's something....:-)

Cheers again

Simon

Sent from my Experia Ultra europallet using Rib.net
__________________

__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2013, 17:08   #122
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
I ask as I only have the HID tag on my transom but would prefer a proper makers plate showing Avon as the builder and max transom loading etc...

Can you still get them? has anyone ever had any made-up?
Fleabay list avon ones quite regularly... ...not sure if they do SR4's

bhg-marine has some other avon ones listed but not an SR4 at the moment...
__________________

__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2013, 17:33   #123
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Ha I have just re vanished my transom tonight! I like a bit of wood and prefer it to stainless on the transom, if someone has a rotten transom they always seem to stick some checkered plate on it

And my plate is missing too!
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2013, 17:38   #124
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Ha I have just re vanished my transom tonight! I like a bit of wood and prefer it to stainless on the transom, if someone has a rotten transom they always seem to stick some checkered plate on it

And my plate is missing too!
if my bit of ply was still good I think I'd be re varnishing it, but as it's rotten don't see much point really, and as transom is solid I thought that stainless would be easier to seal than marine ply so chances were it would keep the transom going for longer, but I could well be wrong as usual
__________________
Chris Caton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2013, 18:14   #125
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Saw Chris's SR4 today. It's MINT. Tubes are ace and the console brilliant for the boat. 90L built in tank. You can go 100+ miles without any jerry cans bouncing around.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2013, 18:21   #126
SPR
Trade member
 
SPR's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
if my bit of ply was still good I think I'd be re varnishing it, but as it's rotten don't see much point really, and as transom is solid I thought that stainless would be easier to seal than marine ply so chances were it would keep the transom going for longer, but I could well be wrong as usual
I noticed when my engine was off the engine bedded into the ply wood plate .. would it also so vibration / noise ?

S.
__________________
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2013, 01:55   #127
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Ex sticks and string guy here and me karma's outa kilter unless there's some varnishing to be done...

Had some top quality marine ply from Robbins timber kicking around the workshop from a GP14 refurb a few years ago so have laminated a piece, using the original as a template and am in the process of giving it multiple coats of Le Tonkinois varnish. Rub down, varnish, rub down, varnish, repeat, etc.

Plenty of Sikaflex when it's attached and hopefully good for a few years.
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2013, 01:56   #128
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
maybe I should go for both, a stainless plate to protect the transom n a ply plate to absorb the vibrations, glad I've still got time to make me mind up
__________________
Chris Caton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2013, 01:59   #129
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Ex sticks and string guy here and me karma's outa kilter unless there's some varnishing to be done...

Had some top quality marine ply from Robbins timber kicking around the workshop from a GP14 refurb a few years ago so have laminated a piece, using the original as a template and am in the process of giving it multiple coats of Le Tonkinois varnish. Rub down, varnish, rub down, varnish, repeat, etc.

Plenty of Sikaflex when it's attached and hopefully good for a few years.
I'll av a word with me brother in law, he likes messin about wiv wood, nevva really understood the stuff me self, n I always get splinters even jus looking at it
__________________
Chris Caton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2013, 13:11   #130
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Saw Chris's SR4 today. It's MINT. Tubes are ace and the console brilliant for the boat. 90L built in tank. You can go 100+ miles without any jerry cans bouncing around.
thanks for calling round HP, good to have a chat, glad you like the SR4 so far, I'll let you know when stainless etc is sorted, may even offer you a ginger nut with the coffee next visit
__________________
Chris Caton is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.