Click Here to Login

Old 08 October 2014, 12:18   #1

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Blue Streak
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Mercury
AVON SR4 Deluxe - red spray deck removal

Hello Fellow RIB owners. I have recently bought an SR4 deluxe with the red splash deck over the Bow. I want to complete a console conversion for the Boat but would like to know first has anyone out there done one on this model and removed the splash deck without leaving any of the red material on the main tubes afterwards. It appears to be glued to the main tubes on a seam which looks to be quick tricky to remove.

Could this be removed by cutting the main cover and then using acetone to losen the glue of the remaining rubber on the tubes? or is there a better way?

Cheers,

Pete.
Old 08 October 2014, 12:29   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Have you thought about just leaving it on ?

I had one a while back ( pic in my album pics) . You can get a 2 seat jockey in no problems and stash a load of stuff up there and keep it vaguely secure (as much as any 4m boat) .

Unless you put patches on the cover the old glue then it'll always look odd...IMO
Old 08 October 2014, 12:37   #3

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the fast reply - I have considered it but hoped I may be able to remove the lot and create the extra space.I have seen another thread on here where it has been removed but the guy left the strip of red rubber on the tubes which does not look so good - I know what you mean about adding patches to cover the old stuff, that wouldn't look great either. I take it removing the old glue underneath wouldn't help either?
Old 08 October 2014, 15:27   #4

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Engine: O/B 90hp
Sr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalburt View Post
Hello Fellow RIB owners. I have recently bought an SR4 deluxe with the red splash deck over the Bow. I want to complete a console conversion for the Boat but would like to know first has anyone out there done one on this model and removed the splash deck without leaving any of the red material on the main tubes afterwards. It appears to be glued to the main tubes on a seam which looks to be quick tricky to remove.

Could this be removed by cutting the main cover and then using acetone to losen the glue of the remaining rubber on the tubes? or is there a better way?

Cheers,

Pete.
Hi

I've just finished my SR4 Deluxe conversion.
The red dodger came off easily with a little heat from a heat gun and gently pulling. Extra care around seams etc...
The glue residue was removed with scourer pads and acetone and gentle application of a rotor sanding wheel in a cordless drill.
Naturally you won't get a perfect finish but I fitted wear patches to the bow area to cover these.
Feel free to get in touch if you want to know anything else.
Keep the front seat base to make a rear bench seat/locker.

Happy conversion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	99700   Click image for larger version

Name:	bird's eye.1.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	99701  
Old 08 October 2014, 15:43   #5

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Engine: O/B 90hp
Just a quick note; I cut the bow dodger off first, leaving a strip of red fabric glued to the tubes. The strip was removed as explained. You will also find 2 circular wear patches which need to be removed. These I re-used to finish off the area where the new wear patches meet the deflector strip on top of the tubes. Also, you can use the old windscreen to make a new screen for your jockey console if it doesn't come with one.
Old 08 October 2014, 16:07   #6

All I can say is WOW! Superb job if I may say so myself. Yes that definitely sounds like a good move - I think I will follow your instructions on this. Your boat looks awesome, Hopefully I shall have mine looking similar soon. Just realised its not a 1990 its a 92' model I believe not that it makes a vast Difference I'm guessing.

Cheers Guys!
P. S i may be in touch Firefly on this subject again for some further tips. Cheers again!