Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Avon SR4 bits

Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

I have just purchased the above, she is laid out in what I would describe as a MK1 Cortina, i.e covered bow section, side by side seats, car style dash inc a 70's speedo. On the back is a rather old 30hp Evinrude. Engine being checked over as we speak.

Am looking to convert her to jockey consol lay out with a decent a frame.
Any suggestions of where to go for bits?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 09 May 2008, 14:23   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Hello Jon
I got my console for my SR4 from Healey Engineering in London.
graham@healeyengineering.co.uk
They delivered when they said they would and made a good job of the console (in Orange). It was a two man and came with a decent flange that I was able to mastik in and then drill and self tap. They cut a hatch access hole if you want as well. The two man version I got was around £280 I recall.

If you cut the Spray Dodger off the front - KEEP it and use it for patches.
Some of it is double thickness Hypalon.

I did the same conversion you are contemplating.

After reading many of the posts on here, I went around with very sharp scissors and left about 2" of the dodger attached which I then glued down to the top of the tubes.

I turfed all the innards - back to back seats dash windscreen etc because mine were in poor nick but you may find someone who is interested in them...particularly the windscreen.

Some peeps maintain that keeping the spray dodger with a jockey console fitted is the way to go, but to be honest I have never found that much water coming into the boat (except when it was my fault ) and it makes the little boat seem bigger and spacier.

Mount the console as far forward as you can. There is a small floor moulded lip on my boat that the front of the console sat against and seemed the natural place to put it.

Anything else you want to ask about feel free.
I also fitted a D section rubbing strake to my tubes, the exisiting SR4 one had virtually fallen off.
One thing I have found... at the stern ... at the last 6 or 7 cm of the tube flange, where the tubes are joined to the hull, is some wear on the Hypalon at that point of contact. Whether my boat has a slightly imperfect hull moulding there, or not, I'm not sure but when I acquired the boat the tubes were reinforced in that area with a couple of layers. After last season, the top layer of Hypalon had worn through in this area on both sides of the boat.
I am going to repatch them shortly. This is underneath the tubes at the join of tubes to hull (hope I'm being clear about where). Its not compromised the air tightness of the tubes, but as I said seems to be top layer only of a two or three layer area. When I get a chance I will try and post a pic. I dont think its serious but something to keep an eye on. Maybe some other SR4 owners will have some input on this.

What sort of valves are fitted? I had the valves replaced on my tubes (the boat is late 70's model). What does the makers plate say? you can spot the age from the serial number if nothing else.

Let us know how you get on and post some pics!

Andy
Old 09 May 2008, 14:25   #3

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
recent thread below about sr4 a-frames

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24267
Old 09 May 2008, 21:47   #4

Town: clyde
Boat name: searider
Make: avon
Finally got my sr4 resto started this week. Its taken me since last year to collect all the bits together. Most of the stuff has come from ebay including the console, strake,grab handles etc and I got the valves from Kingfisher69 on here who had more of them and some solid rubber handles as well so might be worth giving him a shout.

My searider was in need of some serious surgery but so far weve replaced the valves, repaired one of the internal baffles, removed all the existing outside patches and put them on the inside, double skinned one of the panels,stripped off the strake,handles,loop patches and bow bag along with the bow dodger itself so its now down to the bare tubes.

Spent most of today buffing the new strake and tubes so will holpefully be getting to the fun part tomorrow when we finally get to stick some new bits on!

I know the bit you are talking about Andy and yes mines is the same - I will also be fitting a wear patch over the top as to do anything else with it would be entering a world of pain! As you say it doesnt affect the air tightness of the boat but will trap water between the hull and tubes so best to be sorted out.

Will try to get some pics tomorrow but will no doubt be another busy day if the weather holds out.
Old 10 May 2008, 05:46   #5

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
I collected mine on Wednesday and she went direct to a local agent to have the engine checked over and serviced.

The tubes "seem" to be in really good nick for the age, well apart from the fact that the last owners "painted" the name etc down them. A few scuff but no external patches. Is it normal with the SR4 that when you blow up one section the other two inflate as well or does this mean trouble with the baffles? She is holding air and not going down on me!

Am really please with the state of the tubes and hull taking into account that the last two owners used her as a safety boat.

Am planning to go over there today or tomorrow depending on boat trips.
Will confirm age, valve make etc. Will also take some pix.

My daughter really likes the lay out as it is but she is only 10.

Many thanks for all the pointers so far, a great help.
Old 10 May 2008, 06:14   #6

Unfortunately Jon I think your baffles must be damaged if its blowing up from a single vavle. There are 3 chambers and you blow up the 2 side ones first then followed by the bow. Way to check is blow up the boat then deflate the bow. Your 2 side chambers should stay up and you should be able to feel the end of the baffles inside the tubes at the bow end - the baffles are the same shape inside as your end cones on the boat.

When I first got my searider one of the baffles was damaged and was blowing up 2 sections together. Luckily it was just a stab cut to the baffle which came from outside the tube straight through into the baffle. Nevertheless still a tricky repair - we lifted the grab rope panel and cut a slit in the tube to gain access to the baffle so once repaired the slit was patched internally and externally then after the grab rope panel went back down it looked the same as it was.

Will try to find out today if there is an easier solution but I reckon you will need to get it fixed as a priority as the last thing you want is the whole boat going down should you get a puncture.
Old 10 May 2008, 06:33   #7

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Cheers oldsr4
I kinda thought this would be the case and as you say this needs sorting.
I inflated from the port rear valve and the rest went up. Have not tried tto let her down yet but will give it a go over the next few days.

She is going to be a project over the next few months no urgent panic to get her in the water. Happy to say the trip work is keeping me on the water most weekends and if we have no trips I am on the patrol boat.

Once again thanks for the help.
Old 10 May 2008, 07:23   #8

No probs Jon glad to be of any help - as an afterthought if you have simply topped up the tubes and noticed the other chambers have gone up too then your baffles may be ok as when you pump up a side section the baffle will expand into the next chamber and make that go up too. Best way to check is to deflate fully though then youll know whats going on.

Iam off to try and get this strake fitted so fingers crossed it wont start pissing down half way through it:-)
Old 10 May 2008, 08:55   #9

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post

The tubes "seem" to be in really good nick for the age, well apart from the fact that the last owners "painted" the name etc down them. A few scuff but no external patches. Is it normal with the SR4 that when you blow up one section the other two inflate as well or does this mean trouble with the baffles? She is holding air and not going down on me!

I had a 4 mtr searider for 15 years. When one of the three sections was filled with air, to a certain degree the other two would appear to be getting air as well,I just put it down to movement in the baffles. It never crossed my mind that it was internal leaks.
Old 10 May 2008, 14:44   #10

Well I obviously spoke too soon with regards to the weather! It did indeed start to piss down but luckily we got the last bit of strake pressed together with the boat literally seconds before the heavens opened up! Ofcourse its bright and sunny again now - managed to get some pics taken so will put up another thread once I get dried off:-)