Old 17 March 2017, 22:29   #1

Town: Fareham
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Avon SR4.7 Price?

Hi all,

I am a newbie and hoping to buy a rib. I have completed my RYA level 2 and keen to start developing some boat handling skills and get out in the Solent.

I have been offered an Avon SR4.7, white hull orange tubes, with mariner 60 2 Stroke, I would be very grateful for any advice on what to look for / opinions on the boat. Has galvanised trailer, reasonable condition.

It has a new prop, carbs just cleaned, remotes freed up and a service. The tubes look great, with a very light fading. The hull, except some gell coat chinks along the keel otherwise looks to be pretty good . Overall the boat looks clean with no repairs. The 2 person (slightly off set seat) needs recovering.

What sort of price should o be looking to pay please and is it easy enough to fix the gel coat chips on the keel? Lastly, we plan to use it as a family of 4 (7& 10 year old), is it possible to put a bench seat across the stern over the top of the fuel tank? Thinking stainless steel with padded seat? Any experience of doing this or alternative configuration suggested.

Kindest regards Jim
Old 18 March 2017, 08:57   #2

Photo of the SR4.7

Here is a photo, any guidance on how much to pay would be much appreciated?

Also have people had one for family use and does it work ok for this?

Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6253.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	118540  
Old 18 March 2017, 09:58   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
The 4.7 is a good boat, a 60hp would be good match for it. Gel Coat chips are not hard to repair and if you get Rib Shops Rib revive you can get a rid of a lot of the tube fading.

Yes you can add a bench seat, (there are numerous post on here about that).

As to the price, that is subjective, in the range £3-6k? it depends on what you are prepared to pay. If you google/ebay others on a similar type and size.
Old 18 March 2017, 13:39   #4

Starovich, many thanks for the information. I will look around for the posts with regard the bench seat.
Old 18 March 2017, 13:41   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I had a sr4 that was comfortable enough with 2 adults aboard but certainly would have been very crowded with any more . my 5.6 osprey will carry 4 with ok room but that's about it .I would try getting 4 people on board before you buy as I think you may be surprised how crowded it will be with 4
Old 18 March 2017, 16:17   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Looks like a tidy little boat. Avon's were generally very well made, so if it looks ok then it probably is. In a 4.7 you should have enough space to squeeze in a small bench seat at the back, giving you cosy room for 4. When I was a kid myself and my parents would potter around the Solent in a 4m - with the extra bit of length 4 people should easily be doable in fine weather. There's plenty of options out there for an aftermarket bench seat. Ebay is a good bet.

Tags
avon