Old 29 June 2009, 11:50   #1

Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon SR 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
Avon Searider 5.4m

Hi to everyone, I'm Steve and a new member to the site. I currently own an immaculate Bombard C3 Commando RIB, which was bought for me and the kids to enjoy but I'm now after an upgrade and after seeing Matt H's youtube stuff I'd love a Avon Searider 5.4m RIB.

Can anyone advise on where I could possibly get an ex-MOD/Navy/Police variant and do you all blank up the ballast holes in the hull or retain this feature.

Also could a tatty hull in Orange be re-coated/painted in Black along with the tubes or would you recommend new Hypalon tubes.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Steve
Old 29 June 2009, 12:13   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Welcome to Ribnet, Steve.
A search will provide lots of info on the SR5.4, along with the pros and cons of the flooding hull, paiting toobs, gelcoat, etc.
Good luck

PS
You've posted in the Gallery section. A moderator will probably move your thread soon to the Ribs & Ribbing section.
Old 29 June 2009, 12:45   #3

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
S/R 5.4 and 6.0

Hi Steve,

funnily enough i was talking to a chap whilst at a local launch site recently who has a black hulled orange tubed SR 5.4.........think he said it was a cancelled police order (or similar)when he bought it and that he was thinking of selling it at the end of this season.

Not sure if he is on here, but I will probably see him in the next few days and ask him how serious he was. It has a 2 stroke Mariner 90 on it IIRC.

Similarly, my freind has a SR 6.0 on a heavy duty twin axle trailer with 90hp Honda 4 stroke which he talked about selling recently. It is orange hull with grey tubes and has obviously been a rescue boat at some point (RESCUE written on tubes).....It's been standing for a while and is for sale due to lack of use - Mark is a professional skipper for the environment agency and at sea most of the time. He is on the forum - Marky Mark.

Let me know if either is of interest and i can pass on details etc. I am based in Sunny North Pembs /Cardigan....

Dan
Old 29 June 2009, 17:44   #4

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
God those 6m Sea Riders are fantastic sea boats. My old uni dive club used to have one although if you have 6+ divers on they need a bigger engine due to weight. If I could have found one rather than my current 5.4 I would have snapped it up. If you find one at a good price grab it quick.

Ian
Old 23 July 2010, 19:56   #5

Town: bristol
Boat name: c2
Make: bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 25hp
commando c3 for sale

hi
just wondering if you still have the commando c3 for sale. its a long shot as it was over a year ago.
i am looking for one.

thanks