Old 24 August 2011, 23:57   #1

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: N/A
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 40hp
Avon Sea Sport Question

Hello All, I am new to RIBs, but have had soft bottom rafts in the past as well as several boats (one a WWII landing craft, but I digress).

I have just purchased a 2001 Avon 360 Sea Sport with 40 hp Merc. Will need to do a bit of cosmetic and repair work on the fiber glass which will not be a problem, but the airtubes will need some attention and I am not as experienced here.

My main question is the interface of the hard hull with the airtubes in the back of the boat. The previous owner has attempted to seal the area around back with silicone where the transom is next to the tube. In looking at pictures of new boats it does not look like this area is sealed? but left open. I assume the boat was shipping water from this area maybe? Has anyone had experience with this? I appologize for no pictures, will try to get some later.

I am planning to refubish with tuff coat as it had been painted before.
Old 25 August 2011, 15:20   #2

Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010213.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	62009   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010214.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	62010   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010219.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	62011   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010215.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	62012  
Old 26 August 2011, 08:43   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Based on the fact that the area to the inside of the transom is open and below where you are talking about, I would guess it makes no difference, unless there is separation between the two places internally.

However more importantly,the battery is placed by there! so if water comes in, that isn't good. Either get the battery inside a plastic battery box with strap over, or move it under the console/seat etc. Having it open in an area where water is, will only end up one way!
Old 26 August 2011, 15:18   #4

Thanks for the reply. The battery location kind of bothered me as well. Can't put it in the consol as the gas tank is located ther. Will have to seal it in a box and see to any leaking in to this area (it does have a very small bilge under the batt mount and an electric bilge pump).

Found a DL yesterday at the mechnics who is working on the boat this DL is the tender for. The air tubes are bonded to the hull in the rear. The bonding is done further down the tube and is not visible unless tubes are deflated a bit and are pulled away from the hull. My mechanic says some people siliconed this area because under speed water would be forced up between the tube and hull (particularly on jumps) getting occupants of the boat wet. I will have to just experiment with it to see what works.
Old 31 August 2011, 15:35   #5

Town: Oakland CA
If you are going to seal it up, use a decent marine caulk and not household silicone caulk. Household silicone doesn't seem to last too long in a marine environment.

jky
Old 31 August 2011, 16:23   #6

Too right, the silicon is pulled away from the hull and the pontoons in many areas, need to clean all this all out and see what the issues are in there. But first I need to figure out where the leak is in the front pontoon (already replaced the valve which was making sucking sound). soap has not revealed the leak yet.