Old 20 October 2013, 19:03   #1

Length: under 3m
Avon rover 3.4m rib

Hi all,

Looking to trade up my 3.1 Avon rover Rib for the 3.4 variant. Has anyone got any comments positive / negative about this boat?

I like my 3.1 but have seen a 3.4 which will still fit in my garage and still be manageable to launch.

Regards
Old 09 August 2014, 18:34   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespy999 View Post
Hi all,

Looking to trade up my 3.1 Avon rover Rib for the 3.4 variant. Has anyone got any comments positive / negative about this boat?

I like my 3.1 but have seen a 3.4 which will still fit in my garage and still be manageable to launch.

Regards

I know this is late (a year)but as the user of a 3.4m rover its a great family boat, not used the 3.1m easy to tow and launch very stable, ours has a 25hp mariner 2 stroke we found to trim the boat you need one on bow seat when 2 up (facing the engine) 1 up you do need to lean forward to get onto the plain. Very quick one up 3-4 bit slow 5 max and wont plain (well not with the 5 we had on board) will tow a ringo with a light spotter and rider will just tow a ringo with an adult in the ring. personally i would look for something that will take a 40hp motor around 4m I doubt the extra 0.3m will be much benefit, brake neck trailer may be required)
Old 09 August 2014, 19:26   #3

Length: under 3m
Hi thanks for the reply. I did eventually get the 3.4 variant and have an electric start 30hp two stroke oil injection electric trim and tilt. I did spend quite some time looking for the right one and having that extra 5hp makes a massive difference when 5 up, it plains very well, once on the plane I just reduce engine power and glides nicely. Have you managed to wake board off yours?

I managed to pick it up end of season. Easily manageable to launch on my own. It will keep me happy for while until I feel the need for a 4m plus rib!
Old 09 August 2014, 19:47   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Interesting I am sure the transom on ours is 25HP max? (or the KW equivalent) What motor? The power trim would make a big difference.

19KW? May be different on earlier/later hulls interested what it does say on the transom plate
Old 10 August 2014, 11:38   #5

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
i considered an older rover, but they are quite narrow, 1.6m vs 2m for the same sized ocean runner. that extra space internally is a massive difference, not to mention stability.