Old 18 June 2012, 10:15   #1

Length: no boat
Avon or Ribcraft

Hi,

I'm looking at buying my first big rib since using an Avon 310 Rib with a Mercury XR10 as a kid.

I've seen a 2007 Avon Adventure 620 with a 150HP Honda 4-Stroke for £17k but I'm wondering whether a Ribcraft might be a better option.

The only issue is there doesn’t seem to be many Ribcrafts for sale around the 5-6m size with upto 150HP engines.

I always thought Avon were a premium brand, but did their built quality drop before they were sold to Zodiac?

Any recommendations would be grateful.

Steve
Old 18 June 2012, 10:20   #2

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Steve...Welcome to RIBnet

I've had a Ribcraft 5.3/Suzuki DF90 coming up four years now...really pleased with it but I don't have experience of other brands to compare. If you have any RC specific questions I'll be happy to try and help.

There are plenty of Avon owners on here who will help...(sort of, in some cases )

Old 18 June 2012, 10:36   #3

Hi Leapy,

I'm popping up to Ribcraft shortly as they make they in the town where I work.
I'd be interested in your performance figures.
Old 18 June 2012, 10:38   #4

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
In simples the old Avon Seariders are built like bricks and the toobs last forever, the Hypalon is excellent. Hull is also great. After Zodiac bought then the adventures were built for the mass market and are more leisure orientated with shallower v hulls and comfy white seats with plasticky trim. Great for some, hell for others. Horses for courses.

Ribcraft, well known, well built and a good V hull for rougher weather, just like the old Seariders. More expensive typically than the SRs but they both have a lowish sheer bow. Not a massive problem but one of their only faults IMHO.

I'd buy either, but if you went to 6m I'd buy a Humber Destroyer or Delta first. Both have a higher sheer bow, but the Delta is rare and expensive. The Humber good but possibly not as cleanly finished as the RC.

In summary, look for a RC 585 or Humber 5.5 -6m Destroyer (not assault, they're like the Avon adventure, a shallow v hull)

Though a few of us on here are looking for one too!!!

searider at 5.4m is good, but smaller than Humber or RC, the 6m SR is rare and expensive.

Welcome!
Old 18 June 2012, 10:45   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewea View Post
Hi Leapy,

I'm popping up to Ribcraft shortly as they make they in the town where I work.
I'd be interested in your performance figures.
Got over 100 hours on the boat now and I've recorded every drop of fuel put into it, together with the GPS mileage and speed data.

Fuel consumption is 8.5 imperial miles per gallon
Max speed 43mph with 2 adults and 1 teen

For info, our DF90 is the later 1500cc 4 pot motor, not the earlier 2000cc motor. Anything built after November 2008 will be the later motor

Old 18 June 2012, 11:49   #6

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
There's a lot to be said for a comfy hull, the Avon's a great boat for the family and will have good residual value, but expect the hull of the Ribcraft will look after you better.

Go and sea trail, I met someone on the slip with a brand new, more family oriented 6m RIB, he hated the ride and wish he'd taken it out beforehand.
Old 18 June 2012, 11:59   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
There's a lot to be said for a comfy hull, the Avon's a great boat for the family and will have good residual value, but expect the hull of the Ribcraft will look after you better.

Go and sea trail, I met someone on the slip with a brand new, more family oriented 6m RIB, he hated the ride and wish he'd taken it out beforehand.
Agreed, test a few out or ask people on ere to take you out. Our deep v Humber Ocean Pro with high sheet bow and oversized tubes is great in a sea, but it's slow and less roomy inside compared to others with a shallower V hull and smaller toobs. If you only fair weather boat with kids, an Avon adventure could be perfect.
Old 18 June 2012, 12:31   #8

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
In simples the old Avon Seariders are built like bricks and the toobs last forever, the Hypalon is excellent. Hull is also great. After Zodiac bought then the adventures were built for the mass market and are more leisure orientated with shallower v hulls and comfy white seats with plasticky trim. Great for some, hell for others. Horses for courses.
I’m sure the adventures pre date Zodiac buying Avon & not all SR are built like bricks some could be a bit light on lay-up I believe! I have looked at & tested the 620 adventure & liked it a lot had a nice soft ride but a bit narrow! It has a 10 year guarantee on the tubes too (I have seen 10 year old ones looking like new!)

I would think how you intend to use it how many people do you want to seat & if they are young or too small jockey seats will probably not be for them as a good supportive bench seat at the back may be a better option.
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2012, 14:14   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I would go Ribcraft!..But thats just me..well, and quite a few others
Give Mark a call and check out the Olympic Boats,they still have I believe a couple of good spec 585's available. I.e Decent colours,twin side by side seating,nice consul,inbuilt tank ect,with 140 Suzi's and 90's..Within Budget too

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2012, 18:57   #10

I've been to ribcraft today and had a factory tour.
The Olympic boats option looks temping.
Trailers are a bit pricey though.

What do you think the resale value would be in a few years time?
Old 18 June 2012, 20:50   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Though a few of us on here are looking for one too!!! Searider at 5.4m is good, but smaller than Humber or RC, the 6m SR is rare and expensive.
Like buses...

These two are looking their age...
5.4m GRP - FAFB

6.0m GRP - FAFB
Old 18 June 2012, 21:22   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
I have owned both.... Avon searider 4m , an Ribcraft 5.45 and now own a RC 7.8 :-D

Can honestly say they are both excellent manufacturers in my experience and have been delighted with the boats I have owned.
Have seen the Olympic boats for sale and I would think these are a good deal, and if you think the trailers are a bit pricey can you buy just a boat and source a trailer else where? Just a thought...

Good luck with your hunting... And let us know what you get!