Old 01 December 2017, 02:30   #1

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Avon eJet

I was browsing through Facebook... saw this vid.

Looks Zodiac Nautic has their Avon eJet up and going.

https://youtu.be/dzImrfwSUJY

Interesting color choice. Wee more exciting than the old orange and grey.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2017, 20:00   #2

Town: mudeford
Boat name: rib volt lution
Make: cobra ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Torqeedo db 80rxl
100% electric! Its the future. The
Rib volt lution has started!!
Old 01 December 2017, 20:14   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post

Interesting color choice. Wee more exciting than the old orange and grey.
The colour certainly looks more exciting than it's performance.

Today's electric is tomorrows Betamax.......bring on Hydrogen power
Old 01 December 2017, 21:25   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-RIB View Post
100% electric! Its the future. The
Rib volt lution has started!!
I'll be more convinced (Mister Torqueedo Europe engineer) when you get some videos of your own electric RIB online. You know, after you have it antifouled and buffed and all.....

Old 02 December 2017, 10:51   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The performance doesn't look blistering but I suppose as a superyacht shore taxi it would have it's uses
Old 02 December 2017, 22:46   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The performance doesn't look blistering but I suppose as a superyacht shore taxi it would have it's uses
Recharged by a massive heavy oil burning monster......

I can see the well flip flopped flocking to buy them to do their bit for environment while on a 3 week cruise of the med in a gin palace that’s doing gallons to the mile......
Old 03 December 2017, 08:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Recharged by a massive heavy oil burning monster......

I can see the well flip flopped flocking to buy them to do their bit for environment while on a 3 week cruise of the med in a gin palace that’s doing gallons to the mile......
Isn't that the case with all electric vehicles, it's ok looking green but if your electric car is plugged into a coal burning power station then it's not exactly green

The advantage as a yacht tender is you don't need to carry and store dangerous petrol on-board.

Assuming the genny is running on the yacht anyway to keep the tonic cool then it might actually be ever so slightly greener than a pure petrol burning tender
Old 03 December 2017, 12:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'll be more convinced (Mister Torqueedo Europe engineer) when you get some videos of your own electric RIB online. You know, after you have it antifouled and buffed and all.....

Willk,

Yeh i can’t wait, the anti foul is coming off well, but mainly due to the gelcoat not being well abraised before the first coat.

I will of course put up videos and will do my best to demonstrate the current point of this technolgy. You are very welcome to come for a spin, so you can see it for yourself. It woukd be my pleasure.

Thanks agin for your interest

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	122890Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3048.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	122891
Old 03 December 2017, 19:53   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Isn't that the case with all electric vehicles, it's ok looking green but if your electric car is plugged into a coal burning power station then it's not exactly green

The advantage as a yacht tender is you don't need to carry and store dangerous petrol on-board.

Assuming the genny is running on the yacht anyway to keep the tonic cool then it might actually be ever so slightly greener than a pure petrol burning tender
Fit a solar grid and maybe, storing petrol really such an issue? Plenty of other petrol powered devices on board in likely hood from scooter to cars and jet skis, gas for the galley or bbq

Everyone overlooks the horrendous environmental credentials of the batteries rare earth metals scrapped from huge open cast mines in some of the poorest countries on earth where water suppplies are being poisoned and villages displaced all in the name of being a bit green while burning tonnes and tonnes of heavy oil...... pull another one.......

Now nuclear reactors that’s portable power you can take count on!
Old 03 December 2017, 22:22   #10

Quote:
Fit a solar grid and maybe, storing petrol really such an issue? Plenty of other petrol powered devices on board in likely hood from scooter to cars and jet skis, gas for the galley or bbq

Everyone overlooks the horrendous environmental credentials of the batteries rare earth metals scrapped from huge open cast mines in some of the poorest countries on earth where water suppplies are being poisoned and villages displaced all in the name of being a bit green while burning tonnes and tonnes of heavy oil...... pull another one.......

Little to no maintenance. No worries about bad / contaminated fuel.

Many of the mid-size yachts have a dinghy garage sized for a jet tender. In my experience, this category of yacht, most people typically do not have additional water toys.
Old 04 December 2017, 15:11   #11

Quote:

It was good to read your comments and i know this is a very common view.

As with all great debates, un disputableable facts are super helpful

Lithium battery technolgy surrounds us and seems to be everywhere we look. So when is it that we should start to feel bad about the rare earth mining?

Lithium....Ok for all other technolgy but not vehicles or boats?

lithium is 100% recyclable
Nuclear waste is not

And so it continues...........
Old 04 December 2017, 15:30   #12

You can look at various figures but whilst lithium batts in theory is close to 100% recyclable in practice it is far far less due to how relatively new it is.

The other fact is there is anywhere from 17 years to 365 years worth of materials to make these batteries depending on world uptake so it isn't a long term solution. That doesn't even take into account the lifecycles or how grids in various countries can cope with them in large scales charging wise. In the UK we have a big bath tub curve and electric cars are predicted to make use of that which in actual fact would bring energy prices down as we pay handsomely for the ability turn up/down/off current power plants. If that curve is gone the need to do this also goes.

Certain types of nuclear energy are very clean in terms of long term radiation but the world chose probably the wrong option due to weapon making potential at the time. India and China are pressing ahead big time with liquid flouride molten salt reactors (LFTR) which can actually burn what comes out of current reactors and get rid of a huge chunk of that waste stream.

Back on topic, whilst I'm a huge battery geek and have a LOT of lithium polymer and ion cells for my other hobby the sad fact is the weight will be the problem for a long long time and therefore the time to do a reasonable distance in a rib at typical rib speeds is quite a ways off.
Old 17 December 2017, 07:00   #13

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
Finally a reasoned reply regards nuclear. The technology is not the worry regards nuclear safety for me. More geo political security. Plants are now being built in the gulf states
Who knows what would happen if a black flag ever flew over the region.
Old 17 December 2017, 22:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwave2.7 View Post
Finally a reasoned reply regards nuclear. The technology is not the worry regards nuclear safety for me. More geo political security. Plants are now being built in the gulf states
Putting aside the safety aspect I can't see any long term benefit in nuclear you get 50 years or so of cheap ish electricity then you have a very expensive 100-150 year clean up and decommissioning period
As I see it nuclear is fine in your lifetime but I doubt your grandkids will think the same when there picking up the tab for your cheap electricity
Old 17 December 2017, 22:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwave2.7 View Post
Why thank you sir.

As with boats there are different types of nuclear. People rarely do any reading other than what is in the papers so do not understand the different options.

Molten salt reactors are potentially going to change the game. Fuel is 1000x more abundant and they can burn other nuclear waste if required with zero chance of prolification.

Unlike current water reactors there is no pressure build up so safety is much better, if the reaction stops a meltdown is nigh on impossible due to the way the salt and fuel work, interesting stuff and worth a read if you have time.

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/w...eactor-424343/
Old 18 December 2017, 08:50   #16

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Putting aside the safety aspect I can't see any long term benefit in nuclear you get 50 years or so of cheap ish electricity then you have a very expensive 100-150 year clean up and decommissioning period
As I see it nuclear is fine in your lifetime but I doubt your grandkids will think the same when there picking up the tab for your cheap electricity
I agree, but I don't think you can put the safety aspect aside.

https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power...dents#bf-toc-0

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The drive to cut costs, the increasing risk of terrorism and the proliferation of power stations I think makes this the worst long term risk to civilization we face.

The industry continually covers up major accidents, I've had a first hand account from someone working at Dounrey of a particularly bad incident that never made the press and I've no doubt there are countless others we never hear of.
Old 18 December 2017, 09:05   #17

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
Safety

I am employed as an engineer in a new build nuclear facility. All I can say is from my personal experience money is not an issue safety is paramount.

The new generation of plants are much safer and of course security issues are considered.
Many facets of a plant not visible act to ensure safety both of the process and of the structures ability to withstand impact, seismic activity, and threats from people.

Since Fukushima many added safety locks have been incorporated both into new build and existing stations.

However all this aside I think we are drifting of the topic of viable electric boats.
Old 18 December 2017, 13:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-RIB View Post
lithium is 100% recyclable
Nuclear waste is not
Actually...

"Spent fuel" is recyclable.

The French have a reprocessing facility where they can reprocess their waste, effective having a nuclear waste footprint of less than 5%.

However, most countries do not pursue this because the startup cost is high, and reprocessing is often seen as weapons proliferation (it's the same process used to extract plutonium).
Old 19 December 2017, 11:42   #19

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Little to no maintenance. No worries about bad / contaminated fuel.

Many of the mid-size yachts have a dinghy garage sized for a jet tender. In my experience, this category of yacht, most people typically do not have additional water toys.
Yes replaced by major 'range anxiety'!!
Old 19 December 2017, 12:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Yes replaced by major 'range anxiety'!!
The gauge tells you your exact range remaining at your current speed.

Tags
avon