Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 November 2017, 22:30   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,140
Avon eJet

I was browsing through Facebook... saw this vid.

Looks Zodiac Nautic has their Avon eJet up and going.

https://youtu.be/dzImrfwSUJY

Interesting color choice. Wee more exciting than the old orange and grey.
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2017, 16:00   #2
Member
 
E-RIB's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: mudeford
Boat name: rib volt lution
Make: cobra ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Torqeedo db 80rxl
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 35
100% electric! Its the future. The
Rib volt lution has started!!
__________________

__________________
E-RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2017, 16:14   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post

Interesting color choice. Wee more exciting than the old orange and grey.
The colour certainly looks more exciting than it's performance.

Today's electric is tomorrows Betamax.......bring on Hydrogen power
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2017, 17:25   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,964
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-RIB View Post
100% electric! Its the future. The
Rib volt lution has started!!
I'll be more convinced (Mister Torqueedo Europe engineer) when you get some videos of your own electric RIB online. You know, after you have it antifouled and buffed and all.....

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2017, 06:51   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,541
The performance doesn't look blistering but I suppose as a superyacht shore taxi it would have it's uses
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2017, 18:46   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The performance doesn't look blistering but I suppose as a superyacht shore taxi it would have it's uses
Recharged by a massive heavy oil burning monster......

I can see the well flip flopped flocking to buy them to do their bit for environment while on a 3 week cruise of the med in a gin palace thatís doing gallons to the mile......
__________________
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2017, 04:15   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Recharged by a massive heavy oil burning monster......

I can see the well flip flopped flocking to buy them to do their bit for environment while on a 3 week cruise of the med in a gin palace thatís doing gallons to the mile......
Isn't that the case with all electric vehicles, it's ok looking green but if your electric car is plugged into a coal burning power station then it's not exactly green

The advantage as a yacht tender is you don't need to carry and store dangerous petrol on-board.

Assuming the genny is running on the yacht anyway to keep the tonic cool then it might actually be ever so slightly greener than a pure petrol burning tender
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2017, 08:00   #8
Member
 
E-RIB's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: mudeford
Boat name: rib volt lution
Make: cobra ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Torqeedo db 80rxl
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'll be more convinced (Mister Torqueedo Europe engineer) when you get some videos of your own electric RIB online. You know, after you have it antifouled and buffed and all.....



Willk,

Yeh i canít wait, the anti foul is coming off well, but mainly due to the gelcoat not being well abraised before the first coat.

I will of course put up videos and will do my best to demonstrate the current point of this technolgy. You are very welcome to come for a spin, so you can see it for yourself. It woukd be my pleasure.

Thanks agin for your interest

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	122890Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3048.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	122891
__________________
E-RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2017, 15:53   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Isn't that the case with all electric vehicles, it's ok looking green but if your electric car is plugged into a coal burning power station then it's not exactly green

The advantage as a yacht tender is you don't need to carry and store dangerous petrol on-board.

Assuming the genny is running on the yacht anyway to keep the tonic cool then it might actually be ever so slightly greener than a pure petrol burning tender
Fit a solar grid and maybe, storing petrol really such an issue? Plenty of other petrol powered devices on board in likely hood from scooter to cars and jet skis, gas for the galley or bbq

Everyone overlooks the horrendous environmental credentials of the batteries rare earth metals scrapped from huge open cast mines in some of the poorest countries on earth where water suppplies are being poisoned and villages displaced all in the name of being a bit green while burning tonnes and tonnes of heavy oil...... pull another one.......



Now nuclear reactors thatís portable power you can take count on!
__________________
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2017, 18:22   #10
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Fit a solar grid and maybe, storing petrol really such an issue? Plenty of other petrol powered devices on board in likely hood from scooter to cars and jet skis, gas for the galley or bbq

Everyone overlooks the horrendous environmental credentials of the batteries rare earth metals scrapped from huge open cast mines in some of the poorest countries on earth where water suppplies are being poisoned and villages displaced all in the name of being a bit green while burning tonnes and tonnes of heavy oil...... pull another one.......



Now nuclear reactors thatís portable power you can take count on!
Little to no maintenance. No worries about bad / contaminated fuel.

Many of the mid-size yachts have a dinghy garage sized for a jet tender. In my experience, this category of yacht, most people typically do not have additional water toys.
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avon

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.