Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 September 2010, 19:35   #1
NSS

Length: no boat
Avon Adventure v Brig v Ribtec

Am looking to upgrade to a slightly larger RIB than my current Avon. After going back for a second visit to Southampton Boatshow at the weekend (for a closer look at a number of RIBs I'd looked at the previous weekend), and after much trawling of the 'net, I've narrowed my 'possibles' list down to a shortlist of three - Avon Adventure 470, Brig Falcon 450 or the Ribtec 455.

However, though the Ribtec 455 is still listed on the Ribeye/Ribtec site, the only indication of prices I've been able to find is a 2008 price list on Falmouthribeye.co.uk

Does anyone know whether the 455 is still made?

Also, would appreciate your opinions on the relative merits of each of these boats. Will be used purely for leisure on and around the Solent.

Cheers!
Old 22 September 2010, 19:42   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I anticipate you'll get some replies asking why you haven't considered other manufacturers.

So, why not a 4.8 Ribcraft?
Old 22 September 2010, 19:42   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post

However, though the Ribtec 455 is still listed on the Ribeye/Ribtec site, the only indication of prices I've been able to find is a 2008 price list on Falmouthribeye.co.uk

Does anyone know whether the 455 is still made?

Also, would appreciate your opinions on the relative merits of each of these boats. Will be used purely for leisure on and around the Solent.

Cheers!
This is I believe the link you refer to http://www.ribeye.co.uk/ribtec-classics.html
and I am aware the prices can be obtained direct from their offices in Dartmouth.
I would suggest a call to the sales director John Wood to discuss prices available. Having been with them at the show I know the options for you were still available. Happy for you to mention I sent you

I use a 585 Ribtec with 100hp and it works very well on The Solent. The Ribtec brand is manufactured under Ribeye now after they took over from the Hamble based operations for Ribtec. I am sure a few on here were involved and can tell you more about the brand.
Old 22 September 2010, 19:46   #4
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I anticipate you'll get some replies asking why you haven't considered other manufacturers.

So, why not a 4.8 Ribcraft?
As I said, I've narrowed down to this shortlist after looking at many manufacturers. A major limiting factor is the need to get the RIB in my garage, which means a beam limit of 2.1m and a length limit of 4.7m (absolute max), so the Ribcraft is a no go.
Old 22 September 2010, 19:50   #5
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
This is I believe the link you refer to http://www.ribeye.co.uk/ribtec-classics.html
and I am aware the prices can be obtained direct from their offices in Dartmouth.
I would suggest a call to the sales director John Wood to discuss prices available. Having been with them at the show I know the options for you were still available. Happy for you to mention I sent you

I use a 585 Ribtec with 100hp and it works very well on The Solent. The Ribtec brand is manufactured under Ribeye now after they took over from the Hamble based operations for Ribtec. I am sure a few on here were involved and can tell you more about the brand.
Hi C2, yep, that's the link I've been looking at. Didn't realise Ribtec was originally a Hamble based operation (I'm fairly new to Ribbing) but that actually makes it even more attractive. Do you know if the Ribeye built ones use the original moulds (I'm assuming yes given the 'classic' branding).

I'll give John Wood a call and will be sure to mention your name, cheers.
Old 22 September 2010, 19:51   #6

I doubt you'll get an opinion yet on the 470 Adventure. Have any been sold?
Old 22 September 2010, 19:57   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Hi C2, yep, that's the link I've been looking at. Didn't realise Ribtec was originally a Hamble based operation (I'm fairly new to Ribbing) but that actually makes it even more attractive. Do you know if the Ribeye built ones use the original moulds (I'm assuming yes given the 'classic' branding).

I hope maybe biffer on forum may be able to answer about moulds , but also ask Ribeye as I dont know this.
Old 22 September 2010, 19:57   #8
NSS

Quote:
I doubt you'll get an opinion yet on the 470 Adventure. Have any been sold?
Didn't realise it was that new. To be honest though, the Avon is probably the least likely of the three as the length will mean having a shorter drawbar than I'd prefer (or putting a catflap in the garage door!).
Old 22 September 2010, 19:58   #9
NSS

Quote:
I hope maybe biffer on forum may be able to answer about moulds , but also ask Ribeye as I dont know this.
Okay, many thanks.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:01   #10

Quote:
Didn't realise it was that new. To be honest though, the Avon is probably the least likely of the three as the length will mean having a shorter drawbar than I'd prefer (or putting a catflap in the garage door!).
When it comes to length, I'd go for boat over drawbar every time
Old 22 September 2010, 20:09   #11
NSS

Quote:
When it comes to length, I'd go for boat over drawbar every time
Don't get me wrong, I'd have an 8m job if I could store it (oh, and if I had the money of course), but the Ribcraft is also right on the beam limit at 2.1 and I'd prefer not to have to partially deflate the tubes to avoid scraping it through the garage doorway.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:12   #12

Sounds like you need a bigger garage

or a good boat cover

Old 22 September 2010, 20:56   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

or a good boat cover

I'm always surprised how many people limit their boat by needing to fit it in the garage: I realise storage is an expense / security headache etc but shopping around you can actually find some surprisingly affordable storage without the length/width restrictions you get with a domestic garage.
Old 22 September 2010, 21:19   #14
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm always surprised how many people limit their boat by needing to fit it in the garage: I realise storage is an expense / security headache etc but shopping around you can actually find some surprisingly affordable storage without the length/width restrictions you get with a domestic garage.
That may be the case in some areas, but I live close to the Hamble River. One friend pays around £3k a year to moor his RIB on the upper reaches of the Hamble and then has over 30 minutes at the 6 knot limit just to get out to Southampton Water. Another pays £2.5k for six months in a dry stack. Not only would I prefer not to incur such charges (and spend the money on a better RIB than I might otherwise be able to afford), but I plan to fit out the new RIB myself (as I did with my current one) and it's a lot more convenient to do that in my own garage than in some storage shed or field.
Old 22 September 2010, 23:10   #15

What about moving house?
Old 23 September 2010, 06:19   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
What about moving house?
You can rent a county with water frontage in South Wales for 3 grand a year.
Old 23 September 2010, 07:46   #17
NSS

Quote:
What about moving house?
Okay Dai, you win, I'll move.

That Celtic Manor looks like a half decent gaff. Mind you, my brief reckons I'll have to wait to get in as there's a load of johnny foreigners using the garden next month.
Old 23 September 2010, 16:15   #18
NSS

Quote:

Hi Ian

I spoke to John today and he's going to send me some options and prices. Mentioned that you pointed me in his direction and he was much obliged. Eagerly awaiting his email now as, if the price is right, I thing the Ribtec is going to be my preferred option.

Cheers, NSS
Old 23 September 2010, 16:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You can rent a county with water frontage in South Wales for 3 grand a year.
No garage though......
Old 23 September 2010, 16:17   #20

Quote:
...there's a load of johnny foreigners using the garden next month.
Yes, a load of blokes who get paid far too much for hitting a ball around a field with a stick