Old 25 September 2004, 12:08   #1

Town: Port Solent
Boat name: Wild Thing
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 Vtec
MMSI: 235016672
Avon Adventure 620 - What's it like?

A friend of mine is thinking of buying an Avon Adventure 620 and has asked me for advice on whether it would be a good buy ... I don't know much about the Avon and wondered if anyone knew what they are like.

Its got a Yamaha 150 4 Stroke, with GPS Fishfinder, trailer, etc, is six months old and for sale at £19,500 (the new price for the package is about £23,500)

Any thoughts or comments that I can help him out with would be very much appreciated

Seamonstie
Old 25 September 2004, 12:36   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Bloke I know has exactly the same package and is very happy with it - will have to ask him for more info next time I see him.

Build quality is very good - Avon have been building boats for a very long time.Tubes are hypalon and very hard wearing.

The boat is quite stylish and turns heads wherever he goes.
Old 25 September 2004, 12:55   #3

Town: Lichfield, Staffs
Boat name: Bluestreak
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Yamaha F115AETL
Hi,
I have an Avon Adventure 620 and bought it new from the Southampton Boatshow in 2ooo. I have a Yamaha 115 Four stroke fitted to mine and have been very pleased with both the boat and engine.You can see mine on my website:
http://homepage.mac.com/graham.woolr...otoAlbum2.html
The price seems reasonable for an Avon that is only 6 months old, why do they want to sell it?
Graham
Old 25 September 2004, 16:36   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Hi, I think I have seen the one your mate is thinking about buying, is it in the Guildord Area? If so it is set up as you described, on a twin axle trailer. Looks superb. I have just bought an Avon 620, in the newer shade of navy blue, with a Suzuki DF140. I think the Avon's are a superb ride and the build quality is excellent.

I would have thought however your mate would have been able to get the price down on the Avon 620 I think you are talking about as I phoned the Guy and he was saying him & his family don't get out on it that much and it is a waste of time having so much capital tied up in it. Seemed quite happy to talk about the price as he was keen to sell it. It was on Ebay last week and reached £17400!! Reserve Not Met!

Anyway Good Luck
Old 26 September 2004, 08:13   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I think it's a bit pricey!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2004, 07:23   #6

Town: Lichfield, Staffs
Boat name: Bluestreak
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Yamaha F115AETL
Hi Seamonstie,
I have sent you an email with regard to the Avon 6.20. There is a review of the this RIB in the October/November RIB International magazine which is out now. Think your friend would find the review interesting.
Old 27 September 2004, 18:10   #7

Thanks to all, looks like the rib is now sold to another party, my friend is now signed up to this forum, so some good has come out of this thread.

Thanhs again

Richard
Old 27 September 2004, 19:01   #8

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonstie
Thanks to all, looks like the rib is now sold to another party, my friend is now signed up to this forum, so some good has come out of this thread.

Thanhs again

Richard
Looks like your friend is still in the market for a 6 mtr + rib. How about a Parker 630 diesel cos my Seahawk 2 is still on the market. See Ribs for Sale

Andre
Old 27 September 2004, 22:45   #9

Town: Exeter
Boat name: gazza's girl
Make: rib-X
Length: 5.75
Engine: Suzuki 90 4 stroke
Take a look at the Rib-x 640.....
I know I'm biased but I think its better looking than the Avon and because it comes with loads of extra's as standard it is very good value as well.....

I think Colin at Rib-x had a nearly new 640 for the kind of money you are looking for....

Gazza
Old 27 September 2004, 23:19   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Seamonstie - the question is... what does your friend want the RIB for? What does he want to do with it, and what are his aspirations for the next 12-24 months? If he doesn't know the answer, then the Avon is probably a good, safe buy, but bear in mind that it's the end of the season and he might well be buying something just to store for six months. In which case he could order new! Avons do command a premium price but you can pick up good ones at a decent price occasionally - I considered (but rejected) a two-year old Avon with an Opti 150 at £14k last year... I just couldn't buy a RIB with a square nose!

I really do have a problem with the price that Falcon 640s are being sold at. You can get a decent coastal cruising / offshore RIB for about £20k but you will have to wait for it to be hand built. Or you could buy a RIB that retails for under £10k in South Africa, off the peg, delivery next week, but you'll probably want to upgrade after a season's use. In that light, Andre's Parker looks like good value (although I didn't hear what price! )
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2004, 08:12   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Rob x's sorry I mean Rib-x are Falcons and they are made on the cheap.....which is OK but the price should reflect this. I think in 5 years time there will be a few rib owners with very devalued Falcons and Ribeyes as they wont be standing up to our weather.

I've checked out the Parker ribs a few times and if Andre's doing a deal I'd talk to him cos they are good , well made boats and the diesel lumps are very frugal. In all honesty I thin it's a better boat than the Avon. The Adventurers I think are made by Valiant for Avon and the V is rather a medium one.

Out of interest how many PM's have you had trying to flog you a boat?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2004, 16:57   #12

Town: Exeter
Boat name: gazza's girl
Make: rib-X
Length: 5.75
Engine: Suzuki 90 4 stroke
[QUOTE=Rogue Wave] Rob x's sorry I mean Rib-x are Falcons and they are made on the cheap.....which is OK but the price should reflect this. I think in 5 years time there will be a few rib owners with very devalued Falcons and Ribeyes as they wont be standing up to our weather.

phew....!!!!!!!! and I thought I was biased........
Old 28 September 2004, 18:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Rob x's sorry I mean Rib-x are Falcons and they are made on the cheap.....which is OK but the price should reflect this. I think in 5 years time there will be a few rib owners with very devalued Falcons and Ribeyes as they wont be standing up to our weather.

I've checked out the Parker ribs a few times and if Andre's doing a deal I'd talk to him cos they are good , well made boats and the diesel lumps are very frugal. In all honesty I thin it's a better boat than the Avon. The Adventurers I think are made by Valiant for Avon and the V is rather a medium one.

Out of interest how many PM's have you had trying to flog you a boat?

One or two, hope Andy, the new member is following this, it is he who wants the Rib and not me, I am very happy with my Ribtec and new Honda 150