Old 27 January 2005, 11:06   #21

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
What about all the ancient Seariders still in service after years of abuse????
Cod the searider hull and the new 620 are completely different, the searider has a deep v and are built like brick shit houses, the MOD used to chuck them out of helicopters and they'd survive, the newer 620 was developed for a more leisure orientated market, and has a shallower v on the hull than the searider, this means a smoother ride in flatter seas but a harder ride across the chop.
End of the day it comes down to what the buyer wants and what sorts of seas he'll want to use it on.
Old 27 January 2005, 13:27   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Cod the searider hull and the new 620 are completely different, the searider has a deep v and are built like brick shit houses, the MOD used to chuck them out of helicopters and they'd survive, the newer 620 was developed for a more leisure orientated market, and has a shallower v on the hull than the searider, this means a smoother ride in flatter seas but a harder ride across the chop.
End of the day it comes down to what the buyer wants and what sorts of seas he'll want to use it on.
Yes I know the boats are totally different - like chalk and cheese - just that Avon have so many years of experience the boats must be pretty good!!!

I suppose the 620 IS more leisure based whereas Humber lean towards the dive market.
Old 27 January 2005, 14:03   #23

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes I know the boats are totally different - like chalk and cheese - just that Avon have so many years of experience the boats must be pretty good!!!

I suppose the 620 IS more leisure based whereas Humber lean towards the dive market.
Yeah thats correct and no ones saying that Avons are inferior in any way to the Humber, if the new Avons are as good and up to the same standard as the older one's then we should see them lasting the test of time, though doubt much thought has really gone into producing a boat that will these days last 20 years as we seem to live in a throw awayable society these days.
I'd give my right arm to own either of these two boats at this very moment, but if i were a buyer and had the money to buy new, and based on what i'd experienced so far of the two particular ribs and taking into account what i'd want to do with the boat, i'd be buying the Humber
Old 27 January 2005, 15:37   #24

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Although I'd never buy anything other........

.......than a Zodiac - simply because they make great leisure med style ribs, if I ever wanted to do something a little more serious, or were invited on a cruise and had the choice of Avon or Humber, I'd hop on a Humber every time. I've played around in the company of both and whilst I like the look of the Avon, I'd agree with the aforementioned points about it's seaworthiness when compared to the Humber. Further, IMOO it's a nicer looking RIB despite the colour.
Old 27 January 2005, 16:06   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Did you know that these days Avons LEISURE rib hulls are made by zodiac but tubed with hypalon by Avon in their Llanelli plant?

I tried to buy a RIB direct from Avon azs they are only down the road from me but they couldn't - it is only their commercial stuff they make totally.

The last time I went around the factory it was very impressive - there were a load of huge RIBs and all sorts of other things there that never make it onto their website - obviously for the military.

It is starnge to think that a few years ago Avon bought out Zodiac and now the wheel has come full circle and Zodiac own them. Not many Frechies in Llanelli though!!!
Old 27 January 2005, 18:46   #26

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
We had a 560 Avon with a 100 Yamaha four stroke for 3 years it was brillant
even went to cherbourg in it, we went to the humber factory and they where realy nice people but the finish was alful nothing finished off and no under floor trunking on the 6mt boat we looked at.There is a report on the humber in RIB INT last year by Paul Lemmar have a look before you buy.on a different note have a look at the 6mt Picton Cobra (nothing to lose)
On the subject of engines i have always been a Yamaha man but i am sold on the Suzuki.