Originally Posted by walruz
[Hydrochloric Acid] is used on all the quays around the islands as well as it doesn't do any damage to the envirnment.
Though you might want to be careful handling it...
...hydrochloric acid...forms acidic mists. Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines...Personal protective equipment
such as rubber or PVC gloves, protective eye goggles, and chemical-resistant clothing and shoes are used to minimize risks when handling hydrochloric acid (from Wikipedia)
So, make sure all marine life is equally protected