Old 25 November 2014, 07:53   #1

Avon 560 any good

Hi, new to the idea of getting a rib (not my first boat) but not owned a rib before. Is the Avon 560 adventure any good?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25 November 2014, 07:57   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
They are OK.. As a quick response.. what's your budget and what you want to do with it?
Old 25 November 2014, 08:00   #3

Hi,

It will be used for river work for the slow days close to home, then used just to play around on for holidays and trips down to Wales eg neyland. Budget as this is just a test to see if I like the idea of a rib don't want to go above £8k at this stage ideally would like to spend less
Old 25 November 2014, 08:18   #4

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I have never helmed one but from what I have heard they are better suited to calm waters. If you want to go out wave jumping in big seas the Avon Adventure will disappoint. If it's going to be used on nice weather days and flattish water it will be a good boat.

I think Matt owned one for a while so he can give actual first hand experience.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2014, 08:24   #5

Any idea what the weight of the rib, engine and trailer will be asking as the rib will needed to be towed to the launch sites.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:02   #6

RIBase
Don't know actual weights, but I would guess around 400kg for the hull. You can get the engine weight from the manufacturers website (you didn't say what the engine was), and trailer weight also from manufacturers website. Then add a bit for fuel, anchors, etc.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:09   #7

Hi. Honda 115hp on what looks like a snipe trailer. I am limited to 1500kg max towing weight.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:12   #8

Honda web site states 220kg worse case if a long shaft, as I am new to ribs don't know what is the standard set up on these.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:14   #9

RIBase
Honda website will give you the weight of the engine, if snipe don't list the trailer use the Indespension website and pick a similar sized trailer. Add the weight of say 50 litres of fuel (google will tell you how much a litre of petrol weights).
Old 25 November 2014, 12:32   #10

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
For a very rough guide my rib 5.85m Tornado Viking with a 160kg Mercury 90 2 stroke and little 8hp donkey, single console, full tank of fuel and single axle trailer weighs in at 1300kg.

I would guess yours might be a shade heavier with the Honda - so 1400kg maybe? Take it to a weighbridge, it won't cost you much / anything!
Old 25 November 2014, 17:08   #11

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
We had an Avon 620 with a Yam 115 4-stroke for 3-4 years as our first RIB and got on really well with it. Not as hard core as some RIB's, but we took it out year round in all weathers between Solent -> Poole -> Weymouth and never had any issues. That combination seemed very nicely balanced, and even in rough seas didn't really slam or bang, considering it has a more medium-V hull.

I'd certainly consider it, especially if not planning regular long coastal/offshore passages or expecting to go out in serious weather.
Old 25 November 2014, 17:46   #12

me and another forum member were out 2 weeks ago with our adventures.

some video-

this is a 560 with honda 115 to give you an idea-

If you want a really good 560 with 230 hours on it then let me know, i'm about to upgrade from mine below :-)....your budget will need tweaking though :-)

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=24cf3...Mp3Z4GBB4bbF2A

On the 560 itself, i LOVE mine. You need to keep in mind it is not a "uk" rib with a deep V so think about where you want to use it. I use mine on the west coast of scotland a LOT and it has been superb for me, the V is deep enough for "normal" bad days out. The only reason i am upgrading is i'm starting to get the taste for going offshore so i want a deep V to do so for not so normal bad days :-)

Welcome to RIB's, you won't go back!

cheers
Old 26 November 2014, 18:45   #13

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
I owned an Avon adventure for a very short period of time.
If you type "Avon hull cracks" in to search facility it should come up.

Some hulls suffered delamination in the Grp. I had mine repaired at considerable cost. Maybe as a result of this issue, I became ultra critical of the boat. It performed well on flat seas but any more than a slight chop and it was poor.
Also, I fish from my RIB's. My Humber sits on its tubes when stationary - The Avon didn't - it didn't feel as stable at rest as other ribs I've owned.
You must check the hull before purchase.
If this is ok and you intend to just pootle about in reasonably calm seas, then I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 26 November 2014, 19:01   #14

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
I owned an Avon adventure for a very short period of time.
If you type "Avon hull cracks" in to search facility it should come up.

Some hulls suffered delamination in the Grp. I had mine repaired at considerable cost. Maybe as a result of this issue, I became ultra critical of the boat. It performed well on flat seas but any more than a slight chop and it was poor.
Also, I fish from my RIB's. My Humber sits on its tubes when stationary - The Avon didn't - it didn't feel as stable at rest as other ribs I've owned.
You must check the hull before purchase.
If this is ok and you intend to just pootle about in reasonably calm seas, then I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Here's the link http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/avon-adv...cks-36386.html
Old 26 November 2014, 19:22   #15

hey cjj, i think we spoke about this when i bought mine...but was your cracks where it sat on the trailer?

someone told me to hit on the hull where it sat on the trailer but i can't mind who....i spent a long time inspecting that and can't mind who gave me the tip.

Anyways, as i said above to OP....if you want to go offshore this isn't the rib for you. I sail mostly on the west coast of scotland and it has been great.

cheers
Old 27 November 2014, 10:04   #16

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
I had a 560 with an F100 for a number of years. Good boat. No problems, mainly ragged unmercifully by my two teenage sons. Not the deepest v but safe and reliable in all the conditions we used it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	101142  
Old 27 November 2014, 11:49   #17

Town: Southsea
Boat name: RIB GLADYS
Make: AVON
Engine: Mariner 60HP EFI
RIBase
I have an A470 with a Mariner 60 which for the Solent can be to shallow and slams... They are great starting Ribs but would consider and if the price is right buy a deeper V......
Old 27 November 2014, 17:23   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
I had the 450 with a 50hp Suzuki.

Used in the Solent a lot too. Got caught out a couple of times in bad weather but was never let down.

Console, seats and A Frame didn't like the rough stuff and proceeded to dismantle itself mid Solent but had no problems with the hull.

There are deeper v hull out there but it really depends on what you want to use it for.

I liked mine.
Old 28 November 2014, 18:06   #19

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
hey cjj, i think we spoke about this when i bought mine...but was your cracks where it sat on the trailer?

someone told me to hit on the hull where it sat on the trailer but i can't mind who....i spent a long time inspecting that and can't mind who gave me the tip.

Anyways, as i said above to OP....if you want to go offshore this isn't the rib for you. I sail mostly on the west coast of scotland and it has been great.

cheers
Xk59D - Good to hear from you. Glad your Avon adventure worked out for you.
The cracks on mine were down either side of the hull. At the time I just thought it may have been a badly set up trailer.
Unfortunately, I just happened upon one of the ones with a duff hull.
Partly my own fault for not checking it closer. Sticking your head under the trailer wasn`t enough. These were very small cracks as thin as a human hair in a spiders web type pattern. They could only be seen upon very close inspection.
The give away was when you pushed the hull in between the chines it flexed - Not good.

That boat affected me. When I see an Avon Adventure on it`s trailer I have to get under and give the hull a push. Luckily, I`ve not been caught in the act yet!

Kerny - Well directed. The search facility doesn`t work on my I phone - neither does the "quote" facility. Is this normal? Works fine on my laptop.
Old 29 November 2014, 15:15   #20

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Jacinda Too
Make: Avon
Engine: Yamaha 80hp
I've had a 560 for a few years used it extensively all year round in South Devon Dartmouth, Salcombe went round Start Point on several occasions in BIG seas. Not the most comfortable maybe but certainly safe.
Great all round Rib, agree not deepest V but it does the job.
Nice looking boat too!

Unless you want to do serious regular rough crossings I would seriously consider one.