Old 18 July 2010, 06:37   #31

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
i have a lot of sailing experience with powerboats (15 years give or take). this isn't a whim for a chav purchase :-)

the point i was making about the conditions is i do not need nor want a "wave jumper". i'm more than sure the avon will handle a 2-4ft chop, or more if caught out, quite happily but maybe not with as much speed/comfort as a different brand. we have all been caught out in weather and i'm no exception with that. however i do not need to navigate through it at 15 knots as i'm more than happy to slow down to get home.

i have spent a long long time looking at ribs but it's hard to decipher the good from bad until you come onto forums such as here.

i have looked into the price and if need be i'll should be able to sell it on next year and not lose money. worst case scenario is i take it to BHG as they sell these pretty quickly normally they said, and for more money than i'll be shelling out for lesser spec/older 560's. ofcourse that is a gamble but again, what isn't!.

i shall be going over it with a fine tooth comb next weekend and gel coat issues will be numero uno on my list. i have seen the boat in question but was in a tight driveway so looking forward to seeing it in the open.

cheers

Old 18 July 2010, 07:02   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
i have a lot of sailing experience with powerboats (15 years give or take). this isn't a whim for a chav purchase :-)
that wasn't really my point - any "learning" was a bonus - the suggestion of finding a school with a varied fleet was about getting on lots of different boats so you could learn/judge for yourself what features were desirable for the type of use you had in mind.

Quote:
the point i was making about the conditions is i do not need nor want a "wave jumper". i'm more than sure the avon will handle a 2-4ft chop, or more if caught out, quite happily but maybe not with as much speed/comfort as a different brand. we have all been caught out in weather and i'm no exception with that. however i do not need to navigate through it at 15 knots as i'm more than happy to slow down to get home.
I think we agree on that point; but you might also ask yourself if you really need a rib? Generally speaking ribs are relatively expensive for their size, and offer poor shelter, poor storage and poor facilities (no where to take a pee, make a cup of tea on most ribs). Given you are in Scotland rain and poor weather are a fact of life, so your number of available days maybe could be extended by picking a more capable/comfortable rib or a hardboat with a cabin - but still having a v-hull.
Quote:
i have spent a long long time looking at ribs but it's hard to decipher the good from bad until you come onto forums such as here.
as you've discovered it can be hard even then!
Quote:
i have looked into the price and if need be i'll easily sell it on next year and not lose money. worst case scenario is i take it to BHG as they sell these within days normally and for more money than i'll be shelling out for lesser spec/older 560's. ofcourse that is a gamble but again, what isn't!.
in that case you aren't really taking too big a gamble. Bear in mind that if you do buy it and find it "doesn't live up to all you hoped for" that there may be other ribs you could "upgrade" to which aren't necessarily more expensive or too big for the driveway.
Old 18 July 2010, 07:15   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
that wasn't really my point - any "learning" was a bonus - the suggestion of finding a school with a varied fleet was about getting on lots of different boats so you could learn/judge for yourself what features were desirable for the type of use you had in mind.
i have looked into it already for experience with a rib more than anything and the local place i tried only have 3 styles of rib pretty much. SIB, 6.1 northcraft and a 5m searider. i don't feel these would offer me anything in terms of experience on ultimately what i'll be going for so i decided against it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
you might also ask yourself if you really need a rib?
there is a vast difference between need and want. i want something that will go in my drive and that automatically rules out a decent cabin cruisers unfortunately. 12k buys a lot of boat if it's not a RIB but i'm happy with the rib decision. the times i do get caught out in rain etc i'm still outside at the helm as the helm is exposed and no option to helm inside. so in that respect the rib isn't a huge departure from what i've been used to for 15 years.

cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 09:49   #34

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
I have experience of 4 D560s.

Two I was asked to look at because of very fine cracking in the bottom. Both were nearly new boats and both were taken back / fixed under warranty. (about 5 years ago)

The third I surveyed for a purchaser. It had twin 40hps on and looked like the sort of boat that was meant to be used hard. About 10 years old when I surveyed it. Hull all OK.

The forth was a nearly new boat that my Colleagues sister bought. Kept it for 5 years with no problems. Enjoyed it in the Solent. Paid about 12k for it and sold it for much the same.

I suspect that the design is a bit on the light side and couple this with a bit of "variation" in build and there will be some that are more likely to crack than others. If a "light" one goes to a "heavy" user this may be a recipe for cracks.

However, if you're looking at a boat that's already done 5 seasons, if its a weak one then there should be cracks to see. If no cracks then perhaps it never will.

If the boat suits your needs and you don't want / need the ultimate rough weather capability of a searider / osprey / ribtec / ribcraft then why not buy it and try it for the rest of the season. A 560 with a good 4 stroke engine should sell quickly if it turns out not to be what you want.
Old 18 July 2010, 09:52   #35

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Very good point about need vs want. I've gone for an Osprey because I decided after four years I knew what I wanted and planned to keep it. I won't use the full ability all that often, though it's nice to know it's there if you need it.

I didn't buy it to regularly leap in the air, though I am sure it could take it, so on that basis I could have got a cheaper/smaller boat (at one point I was looking at a 5.5m Humber which would have been at least 5k cheaper) and on 95% of the days I would normally go out I would probably only notice that I had used less fuel at the end of the day. That would have been what I needed but not what I wanted

Good luck with whatever you buy, I know nothing about the Adventure but it is a good looking boat (at least the 580 featured in RIB Intl a while back was very smart). I guess the main thing is that with the comments on here you're going to look at the boat with your eyes open on possible issues it might have. If you don't want to go wavejumping it may well be more appropriate in the same way that if you don't want to go wading through rivers halfway up the windscreen then a Freelander may be a better option than a Defender. For those that do the nautical equivalent of wading through a river halfway up the windscreen, the 'Freelander' would be crap and wouldn't last 5 minutes. Some people (I plead guilty as charged) also buy something because they like overkill, for the odd occasion that things don't quite go to plan. Horses for courses, most importantly remember to put some photos up on here of whatever you do get

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 09:54   #36

thanks for that, where was the cracking on the boats you seen and i'll check out those areas specifically?

the package has 120 hours on it so i assume it would do it by now if it was going to as you said.

cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 10:00   #37

some pics as requested stephen- sorry not the best as in a tight driveway.

owner seems very nice guy and certainly knowledgeable about them.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F218863_2.-450.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	52832   Click image for larger version

Name:	F218863_3.-450.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	52833   Click image for larger version

Name:	F218863_5.-450.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	52834   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNB10973.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	52835   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNB10971-2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	52837  

Old 18 July 2010, 10:42   #38

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I mean, it looks superb!! really good. why could they not make it into a fantastic boat! if you look at the leading edge of the seats you can clearly see the fibreglass is wider than the soft upholstery. ended up on mine having copious amounts of bruising on my delicate legs in less than a 2ft chop!!

Quote:
i'm more than sure the avon will handle a 2-4ft chop, or more if caught out, quite happily
Sadly No!!

Quote:
There are also probably a lot missing from the "good" list.
Mr Polwart, your right again but me thinks the ones i left out would possibly would be out of the price range but just for Mr Polwart the great Ribs list continues

Ribcraft. 5.3 /5.5
Humber destroyer (quality is much better so ive heard)
Solent ribs
Shakespeare
Ribtec
Coastline
Delta (bit commercial)
Tornado
XS ribs
BANANASHARK (racing /recreational ribs with industrial strength build quality)
PARKER
COUGAR
HUNTON
REDBAY
GOLDFISH
BALLISTIC
COBRA
ZAR (supposed to be awesome)

so sorry if ive left some out Polwart!!
Old 18 July 2010, 11:11   #39

matt, i thank you for your input but it hasn't put me off the boat. i cant believe it won't handle a chop if you slow it down and just ride it out as i've had to do for 15 years on even decent weather (thats what old design cabin/power boats get you)????. if i wanted to get home at 20 knots or whatever in 2-4ft seas rest assured this wouldn't be getting a second thought.

it's all relative, your used to excellent performing ribs i assume and i also assume is what you want/need, i'm not in that position. as i have said before anything i get will be substantially better than what i'm used to. i can't emphasise enough how carefully i need to helm my boat in anything but really good conditions and you can forget about it on the plane in just about anything but perfect conditions, won't happen or clyde coastguard would be getting a shout.

i'm not buying this for the conditions i may get caught out in once in a while and still make it home at 20 knots for example, i'm buying it for comfort on the days i'm likely to use it and if need be cut the throttle back to get home, i can quite happily live with that as that is what i've had to do for more than half my life.

rest assured i'll test the seating out and look for issues in the hull etc next weekend and report back.

in mean time i'm still actively looking but i'm getting put off getting a rib as they look to fall into a few categories pretty much in MY eyes-

1. out of budget.
2. hit every ugly branch on way out the tree.
3. looks good but maybe not the best handling thing.
4. wrong layout in seating or 2 stroke engine
5. too big/too small (5.5-6m max)

one or some of those things HAS to give, it defo won't be budget..............time will tell!

cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 11:24   #40

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
matt, i thank you for your input but it hasn't put me off the boat. i cant believe it won't handle a chop if you slow it down and just ride it out as i've had to do for 15 years on even decent weather.
To a certain extent in RIB's your best off putting the power on when its choppy, if the Avon can't handle it and you go at displacement speeds it'll be a crap ride.
Best bet is to take it out and see what you think.
Can't you get away with something other than a RIB?