Old 17 July 2010, 05:23   #21

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
first one is bench seating and was told to avoid this on this forum or i'd have went and looked at this as only 70 miles away.

second one is butt ugly and too big

third one is the same make as the one with rotten decks which i never got and seems to be a general problem with those. also has a 2 stroke outboard.

fit the bill for me is-

1. looks good
2. 2005 ish package
3. 4 single jockey style seats with helm to whatever side. so long as not central single jockey at back and whatever in front. i.e the avon adventure was perfect in that respect.
4. 4 stroke engine

i'm coming from a flat bottom 18ft cabin cruiser so ANYTHING will be better than what i'm used to. which i why i'm happy to listen to you guys who have had them all as i know nothing about them. i don't think many have grasped that i do not need nor want to go out in X ft waves with this or go jumping them. it's only being used to potter around in fair weather when the notion takes me.

cheers

Old 17 July 2010, 05:36   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
If you're only going to be using it for pottering about, I'd go and sea trial the XS and make your own mind up on the seating. Personally I'll always go for jockeys over benches, but it's a personal choice. Jockeys are far better in the rough stuff.
Besides, at that price with a bit of haggling you could change from a bench to jockeys if you don't like the bench and still be under budget.

A rear bench isn't that uncomfortable-remember the boat will pivot round the engine so the further back you are, the less shocks you'll experience.

Given the spec you've just given, the only real negative of bench seats is that it's easier to fall off them.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 05:44   #23

i have already spoken to the owner of this boat and there is very little room for haggling on this one and that is ofcourse their choice. i didn't like the "look" of the tube length at the back as i concluded (maybe wrongly) that it is not a very long hull (i.e not a lot of room) and it looks to be a hull more suited to a circa 5.4m tube length.

i defo want jockey style seating now so anything non jockey is automatically of my list now.

cheers
Old 17 July 2010, 06:29   #24

Town: wokingham
Boat name: ellain 2
Make: avon 580
Engine: Yamaha 150
avon 560 adventure as 1st.rib

Hi dubrus,
My son and i had a 560 for 5 years based in the Solent and been out in all sorts of Solent weather and the rib never gave us one minute of concern.Our rib had a Mercury Optimax 115 which was a brilliant combination.
As i am about to retire we have just bought a new avon 580 with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke on the back.
Being Scottish i know your cruising grounds well and i would say go for it if the rib is as good as you say.

regards

Barnacle Bill
Old 17 July 2010, 09:56   #25

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
We had a 560 Avon with a 100 Yamaha F/Stroke
I loved it even went to france on it for a day trip

It is horses for courses and at 5.60mt long you cant exspect a lot in the rough
A Rib craft is a stronger boat BUt But But BUt you will always want bigger faster longer
We also had a Cobra 750 ours was crap but there are stacks of people on Rib net who love them ?
What ever you buy, happy ribing
Old 17 July 2010, 12:48   #26

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I should be on commission.

It's under budget, solid build, in Scotland (Orkney), room for two jockeys behind main console, and it's 4-stroke. http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=25931

Ok's over budget (everything boat-related always is) but it would be all the boat you'd ever need. Redbay have something of a cult following, second only to Avon Seariders. Yes it's 2-stroke, but if well-maintained, this shouldn't be an issue. At full-throttle a 2-stoke and 4-stroke (match hp engine) will use roughly the same fuel. It's in Scotland too! http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=25700
Old 17 July 2010, 13:37   #27

spartacus-

i don't want a single jockey in middle so the first one is out and it doesn't look very appealing to me.

the second one is ideal seating wise but the price is not :-(

thanks anyway.

bill and roy-thanks for the words of encouragement. regardless of what happens i'm going on a test drive next weekend with this 560 so i'll keep options open till then.

cheers
Old 17 July 2010, 13:45   #28
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
We too had an Avon 560 a few years ago with an 80hp Yamaha 4 stroke. We thought it a fantastic boat, very safe, in lots of solent conditions, nothing fell off or broke and we sold it for more than we paid for it new.
Old 17 July 2010, 14:20   #29

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
people keep saying the avon is paper thin, is the hull likely to have problems then being so thin?

it is thin and mine started cracking after a couple of hours thrashing!! crap boats how ever you look at them!! could not wait to get rid of it!!

sold it to bhg who said the fitout and set was superb and would copy a few of my ideas etc, proves what they know!!
Old 18 July 2010, 06:19   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dubrus,

I've never been on an Avon 560 so I can't give you a specific answer on that (although you've obviously had a few opinions here from people with first hand experience). It strikes me as though Avon spotted that the UK rib market prefers a British style rib with jockey seats etc, but they probably had a package price in mind which meant lower HP engine but with high performance, and so drove them towards a shallower V and lighter hull construction. The dissapointed customers on here are possibly (IMVHO) people who hoped it would live up to an avon sea rider and discovered it was more like their med boats under the water. Those most vocal about their dislike are also those who give their boats serious abuse - enjoying rough water and "air time". That is not to say they don't have a valid point to make, not least that you should be paying close attention to the gel coat for cracks or crazing which might suggest a previous owner has thrashed it. They are also right to flag up that their "questionable" reputation will affect values both for you as a buyer but also as a potential reseller in the future.

I'm not sure what experience you have, but it might be worth (if you decide not to go with the Avon) shopping round for a training centre with a wide range of different boats. A PB2 course, or a more advanced course if you've already done that, jumping between a few boats could be a relatively cheap way to understand how different lengths and shapes might handle, and also to look at boats that live up to the wear and tear of training use.

I understand that you are planning to use it in the Firth of Clyde and L. Lomond, and that these can be quite sheltered - so you don't think you have a need for a serious RIB. You might well be right, however I've certainly experienced 2ft waves on Loch Lomond on what started as a really nice day, and in "Sheltered waters" in a Scottish sea loch on Friday there were 4ft+ waves, which I didn't go looking for - but I had to deal with. That said my boat is small, and probably not got the "best" hull design for those conditions, and I survived the short trip that I needed to make unscathed. I'd have much prefered to be in a 6m Redbay/Osprey/Ribcraft/XS etc - which probably would barely have had to slow down - but sensible use of the throttle kept the boat going in the right direction, without jarring me too much on my bench seat. One thing to bear in mind is that whilst the "bounce comfort" factor of a RIB will be better than your cabin boat the "spray" comfort may not be with no cabin to hide behind/in.

Many people on here upgrade their boat after the first year or so (although others keep them for much longer) so buying a sound boat which doesn't quite meet your 2010 needs is not necessarily a mistake if it helps you work out what it is you do need. The only real issues is making sure you buy it at a price where you can definitely sell it again next year without making an unnacceptable loss.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with Matt's "one's to avoid" list - in particular the Valiant range have certainly got some capable boats in there - and Bigmuz will attest to their suitability for the waters you suggest. I'm also not convinced "Zodiac" should be there as the entire brand, that would be like saying "Avon" because he doesn't like the 560. There are also probably a lot missing from the "good" list.