Old 21 April 2009, 21:19   #1

Town: Port Townsend
Length: no boat
Avon 3.45m Advice

After lurking on this forum soaking up knowledge for awhile, I've decided it's time to take the plunge and find a RIB. I'm thinking a 4 meter Searider would make a first good boat. Unfortunately I'm in the USA (Pacific Northwest, Puget Sound area), so I may have a bit of a wait finding one.

That said, I recently noticed an ad for a 3.45m Avon RIB (bench seat) with an 18-horse Nissan and trailer for sale nearby ($3,500 US). I assume it's a Seasport - no idea of the age or condition of the boat or hours on the engine.

What's the collective wisdom on this little RIB? Would I be better off patiently trying to find a Searider (4 or 5.4)? I'm assuming the Seasports have a shallower V hull and with smaller tubes it's going to be wet. Is the 3.45m more suited for lakes and calmer waters? I've been trying to convince the wife of the many joys of RIBs and don't want to start out with something she (or I) may have a less than fun experience with on saltwater. I definitely want something with Hypalon tubes that's economical to run (some fishing, exploring, and acquiring boating skills).

Thanks in advance.

HF
Old 22 April 2009, 00:28   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I'd wait and try and find a 4m Searider