Old 01 February 2010, 19:53   #21

Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller022 View Post
From past experience of losing a perfectly good auxilliary off the back of a Dell Quay Dory we used to own (my fault), I now prefer to keep the 3.3 mariner 2 stroke under the rear seat of my Ribeye 550. I have made a fixed wooden bracket which attaches through the mounting holes for one of the ski eyes (not required as i have a ski pole too) and mount the engine on it when needed. It is very much a last resort get me home set up which pushes me along at 4-5 knots. I know it won't work too well in a rough sea but I am never happy being out with only 1 engine.
I have the same, a Merc 3.3 auxillary on my Avon D560, only 12kg, does about the same around 4-5 knots, its ok for the solent
Old 01 February 2010, 20:53   #22

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I fitted a Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary (17kg) to my Zodiac Pro 7 Man in 2008. It's got zero hours on it, hasn't even been run in. If you're on the Moray Firth or Atlantic and you break down - there's a good chance you might not see another boat all day... next thing you're landing in another country without a bleed'n passport!
Old 02 February 2010, 23:04   #23

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I fitted a Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary (17kg) to my Zodiac Pro 7 Man in 2008. It's got zero hours on it, hasn't even been run in. If you're on the Moray Firth or Atlantic and you break down - there's a good chance you might not see another boat all day... next thing you're landing in another country without a bleed'n passport!
You think you have got a problem, you should try getting caught in the prevailing westerley here, next stop is Chile in 13000 miles

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 15:13   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
You think you have got a problem, you should try getting caught in the prevailing westerley here, next stop is Chile in 13000 miles
I think you're exaggerating a little there Stephen. If you used your paddles, you could probably make landfall at the Cape of Good Hope
Old 03 February 2010, 17:29   #25

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
Come on guys, where's your imagination, why stop at the Cape of Good Hope.............why not go for the full circumnavigation! Be a first in a RIB as far as I know!
Old 03 February 2010, 18:01   #26

Town: southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Come on guys, where's your imagination, why stop at the Cape of Good Hope.............why not go for the full circumnavigation! Be a first in a RIB as far as I know!
ah-hummm!
http://rib.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-2625.html
Old 03 February 2010, 20:56   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
This is turning into the fish I caught is bigger than your fish story!

If I was on the west coast and in the unlikely event you were blown west, you can either make for the Flannans or worst case scenario St Kilda. Only accessible from one side in Village Bay. Cliffs are 1300 feet high. Never been there - but would dearly love to go. Details here: http://www.kilda.org.uk/
Old 09 August 2011, 18:19   #28

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
Recently i tried on this

this ...

4.5 square metres, are a bit to small for a 8 meter rib but on force 4 can give 2.5 knots .
total extra weight about 7-8 kgs

Old 10 August 2011, 08:03   #29

Town: Stonehaven
Make: Avon Sea Rider 5.4
Engine: 50Hp Mercury 4' EFI
Nice, you made me smile
Old 10 August 2011, 08:06   #30

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
personally i;d say keep it, but also use it. I tend to use mine to get in / out the marina - then I know it was working when I left...... Can also if you stop for a "drifting picnic lunch" use it to hold position or something, either way, it gets some excersise and if it does fail you'll know when you still have the main lump to get you back.
Old 10 August 2011, 09:28   #31

RIBase
Yes

Fitted a mint 2-stroke 4hp Mariner (long-shaft) to the RIBcraft. I also fitted a stainless steel U bolt to the deck for the ratchet strap to attach to, so absolutely no rattles. It's a tight fit - but can be done. Doesn't interfere with the main engine from hard lock to hard lock and the skeg is out of the water underway.

Had the starter motor on the Tohatsu fail on me (luckily still in the harbour) - so never say never.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner4hp.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	61527  
Old 10 August 2011, 09:57   #32

Town: Telford
Boat name: ?
Make: Searider
well as this thread has been resurected, my view is never go to sea with no backup plan, so on my SR4 is a small bracket i fabricated with a 2.5 aux, tried it out in a 3 to 4 foot slop and it might not of pushed me fast but at least it held its own with some headway, and when in a slight ripple against tide i got 2 to 3 knots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	now 3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	61528  
Old 10 August 2011, 17:55   #33

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Can also if you stop for a "drifting picnic lunch" use it to hold position or something, either way, it gets some excersise and if it does fail you'll know when you still have the main lump to get you back.
Spot on I have had both my aux engines "fail" (not a breakdown - just dirty fuel - but if it doesn't work it doesn't work...) both times were thankfully on routine runs just to make sure the engine was happy (and finding it wasn't) thankfully not when I needed them.

I think one of my bits of preventative maintenance is going to be to take the aux tank off at least once a year and swill it right out as the fuel pickup design in small engines seems very much aimed at getting the maximum amount of fuel out, and not at avoiding picking up poo in the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 21:55   #34

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Out in the company of other ribs no. Out on my own yes.
Old 11 August 2011, 07:44   #35

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Yes.

From experiences in the past with mucky fuel/ old fuel lines/ outboard running roughly, I'm happier with a backup plan (especially with the children on board) ! I tend to use the aux immediately after launching to wander over to a pontoon where the main is started - so it gets started each trip.

I also found our 5hp Tohatsu a tight fit and it isn't completely of the water when underway, but I suspect that the 75hp Mariner lump (usually max 60hp) isn't helping with the balance anyway!
Old 11 August 2011, 16:30   #36

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
No. Chances are the tides will be running faster than a 5hp around Anglesey... Drop anchor and call for help... or ask the mrs to swim ashore with a note
Old 13 August 2011, 07:36   #37

Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
We went out on New Years Day on the Medway. Filled up tanks at Gillingham and headed out to the Estuary for fun and games with the intention of going out to Red Sands to see the forts.

Ten mins out the outboard coughed and puttered into death. Fuel was contaminated and had for some reason managed to draw water into the carbs.

On the back we had the 4hp aux. It was a long (time) trip home but we made without the need to call for help. The river / Estuary was deserted fro other boat users and I was happy not to interrupt the festive season for the lads from the RNLI, who I know would have come out to assist but why should they.

We don't have the AA out on the water and you would not think it acceptable to call the fire or ambulance service if you have a puncture in your car or ran out of petrol. I think as responsible boat users we should strive to be as independent as possible.
Old 13 August 2011, 07:46   #38

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn collins View Post
We don't have the AA out on the water
Medway River Watch?
Old 13 August 2011, 07:54   #39

Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
I cant seem to find any info on Medway River Watch.
when i first go the boat we enquired about local sea start type companies. We only found one who when contacted had stopped trading as the partners had fallen out.
If anyone knows of this or another company offering similar on the medway, I would be very interested in contacting them.
Old 13 August 2011, 22:48   #40

very good topic which i have an interest in.

i have a brand new 5hp mariner 4 stroke motor i bought for my previous cabin cruiser. it is 2 hours old and when i bought the RIB it matched my new main engine as same colour scheme :-). the problem is the motor doesn't fit on the transom because of my A frame so the motor has not made it onto the RIB.

i did post asking for suggestions for mounting but TBH i can't see a way to mount it unless i get one of those bolt on transom mounts you can lower up/down. the problem with those is i didn't fancy the aux outboard banging up and down on it while underway. there is no room on board to stow the motor.

would love to get something sorted but don't know what best option is.

perhaps one of the slim 3.3hp motors would be my best bet as the 5 JUST fits but i can't turn the main engine. the 3.3 would probably give me the room??

cheers