Old 13 April 2018, 18:41   #1

Town: Peel
Boat name: Lara
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235103959
Auxiliary Storage

Whatís the best place or way to store an auxiliary inside a RIB?
Main OB is a Suzi DT90 and is right on the weight limit of my 5m so canít have a 5hp bouncing around. Space is also tight.
Auxiliary Iíve got is a 4S 5hp Honda. Weighs about 28kg.

Any ideas

Thanks

Old 13 April 2018, 19:16   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Best place for an auxiliary is on the transom. If you need to deploy quickly, then you can drop anchor, but manoeuvring a 30kg outboard in a rolling sea and securing it comes with its own set of problems.

If it's at all possible then see if it will fit on the transom. You can keep it in the tilt position using a ratchet strap around the power head which feeds through the pull start opening on the cowl and secures to a stainless steel U bolt on the transom knee or deck. The vibration on small outboards can break the tilt lock otherwise. If you need it quickly, just cut the strap.

I've seen auxiliaries mounted behind jockey seats and in front of consoles. They have to be upright and secured at the saddle and skeg.

Even if you don't use it when you're out, still run it like the main engine with fresh water. Salt water gets everywhere and the small telltale stream can block (use strimmer line to clear).

Here's my Mariner 4hp 2-stroke. In the up position the main engine can turn full lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	124217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	124218  

Old 13 April 2018, 19:36   #3

Thanks

That looks tight. My 90 is a fatter lad than your 70 and the auxiliary is a short shaft so a bracket is a necessity. Iíd have it on a bracket permanently but Iím bothered about being 30kg overweight all the time and I keep reading horror stories about the lifting brackets breaking.
I thought about keeping it upright behind the jockey but people often stand there as it has a hand hold.
I agree that humping it around in a swell is far from ideal. Donít see that I have much choice though. I just donít want it laid on the floor.
Is it possible to reinforce the transom with SS plate?
Old 14 April 2018, 03:31   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Whatever you do don't opt for an adjustable bracket. They're bleed'n awful. There are some good fixed brackets on the market, but check weight rating. I'd still have the outboard tethered for security.

Get some transom pictures up so we can see space and throw in some measurements. Another option could be to get a narrower auxiliary. The Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke should be narrower than your Honda 4-stroke. They come up now and again. Built in 2.5 litre tank, and I think can connect to an auxiliary 12 litre tank. Only 19kg. 310mm width, approximately 700mm hard lock rotation. You can steer with main engine too to a degree.
Old 14 April 2018, 13:36   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
I hung mine for a while off the back of the jockey seat with a hard rubber pad for the Skeg to rest on to protect the deck. When I did hang on the transom put it against the tube with a small gap to prevent rub and steamed with the main as a rudder, doesn't matter if the aux is short shaft the prop is still in clear water and at displacement speed (24degrees dead rise)
Old 14 April 2018, 13:57   #6

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
This is a tough decision if you can't get the current engine on the transom.

For me i would seriously consider selling the Honda and buying a different engine to put on the transom, maybe mariner 3.3 worst case and feather light.

As for short shaft auxiliaries, Im not a fan. If you can put it on transom then chances are it will cavitate to some degree in a swell, If you put it on a fixed bracket you risk submerging it when slowing down or speeding up, or the wake catches up and gives it a bath when you forget it is out there.
Old 15 April 2018, 13:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Whatever you do don't opt for an adjustable bracket. They're bleed'n awful. There are some good fixed brackets on the market, but check weight rating. I'd still have the outboard tethered for security.

Get some transom pictures up so we can see space and throw in some measurements. Another option could be to get a narrower auxiliary. The Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke should be narrower than your Honda 4-stroke. They come up now and again. Built in 2.5 litre tank, and I think can connect to an auxiliary 12 litre tank. Only 19kg. 310mm width, approximately 700mm hard lock rotation. You can steer with main engine too to a degree.

Iíve already heard enough horror stories about auxiliary motors going for a swim so Iíll definitely be factoring in a tether.
Old 15 April 2018, 13:59   #8

Iíve got a couple of transom pics which show how tight space is.

Iím still bothered about weight though. Iím no physics expert but Iím guessing that the forces on the transom are going to be multiplied by the movement, and even worse if itís slung from a bracket.
A lighter auxiliary doesnít sound like a bad idea. Having it right next to the tube also makes sense given that Iíll need to rudder with the main OB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5339.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	124246Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5341.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	124247Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5342.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	124248
Old 15 April 2018, 14:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I hung mine for a while off the back of the jockey seat with a hard rubber pad for the Skeg to rest on to protect the deck. When I did hang on the transom put it against the tube with a small gap to prevent rub and steamed with the main as a rudder, doesn't matter if the aux is short shaft the prop is still in clear water and at displacement speed (24degrees dead rise)

What did you use to strap it to the jockey? Anything special or just a strap?

Thanks
Old 15 April 2018, 17:16   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Just straps, I did a solid aux bracket before I fixed mine on the transom I fixed two together end on to get it clear of the main engine that allowed me to tilt it up clear of the A frame when not in use