Old 07 May 2010, 19:03   #1

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F15
Aux ? on 5.4SR

Is a 8hp 2 stroke yamaha to big to hang off a kicker bracket on my 5.4sr. I amrunning a 90hp two stroke Yammi on it. I have the 8 now and with a bracket can make it fit.
Old 07 May 2010, 20:34   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by no excuses View Post
Is a 8hp 2 stroke yamaha to big to hang off a kicker bracket on my 5.4sr. I amrunning a 90hp two stroke Yammi on it. I have the 8 now and with a bracket can make it fit.
It'll lean very oddly to one side

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 20:45   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Is there an option to fit the engine elsewhere on the RIB, so that it can be deployed if and when you need it. I saw a RIB outside Mackays Marine in Aberdeen that had some sort of ply box (in front of the main console) where the auxilliary was situated. Looked plug-ugly, however with a little planning, possibly glass it in - it may be possible to do something?
Old 07 May 2010, 20:52   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Some people clamp them to a bottle rack, seems to work well.
Old 07 May 2010, 21:40   #5

dont really have room to mount and leave it elsewhere, I have 4+ divers and 8+ tanks in the boat usually and space is pretty tight already. So would I be better off selling the 8hp and getting a 4hp then? Either a 2 or 4 stroke?

thanks stan
Old 09 May 2010, 14:45   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by no excuses View Post
dont really have room to mount and leave it elsewhere, I have 4+ divers and 8+ tanks in the boat usually and space is pretty tight already. So would I be better off selling the 8hp and getting a 4hp then? Either a 2 or 4 stroke?

thanks stan
If weight/balance is the only problem with the 8HP - then I'd have though with a bunch of divers and kit as well as spare fuel tanks, batteries etc that you can move around you can counterbalance the weight issue.
Old 19 May 2010, 15:20   #7

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Fiona
Make: Avon SR
Engine: Yamaha 90AETO
I have an 8hp 2 stroke yam as my spare. Fitted on the transom next to an 85hp 2 stroke. Dont feel the need to put it on a kicker bracket. It seems a lot more secure where it is. The 8hp yam was pushing the SR at 5.8 Knots 3 guys and 3 girls up. I wouldn't like to be going much slower than that.
Old 19 May 2010, 21:32   #8

Length: no boat
Has anyone a solution for fitting an aux to a sr5.4 where it has the military frame? This was briefly discussed on the thread I posted asking about aux. engines...but figure maybe someone here missed it and has the solution.

I'm thinking that maybe a bespoke bracket could be made to just about fit...or even one that is partially bolted to the transom and partly to the frame?

crazymac680: Hi there. Where on Lewis do you run your SR? I am thinking of getting one for use over here off Gt Bernera.
Old 19 May 2010, 21:55   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I think your best bet would be to either remove the A-frame and put a light pole on,or change the A-frame.

The issue with the military frame is going to be tilting an aux on a bracket without the powerhead hitting the frame,but not having massive stresses through a really long bracket.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 05:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooglewoogle View Post
crazymac680: Hi there. Where on Lewis do you run your SR? I am thinking of getting one for use over here off Gt Bernera.
I live on Cameron Terrace next to the Cameron terrace shop on the Lochs Road. No doubt you see my boats on the way home from town. I normally launch from Leurbost for fishing and spins to the Shaints but sometimes launch from Uig and Carloway. Furthest I've been was the Flannan Isles.
Old 21 May 2010, 21:13   #11

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymac680 View Post
I live on Cameron Terrace next to the Cameron terrace shop on the Lochs Road. No doubt you see my boats on the way home from town. I normally launch from Leurbost for fishing and spins to the Shaints but sometimes launch from Uig and Carloway. Furthest I've been was the Flannan Isles.
That is very amusing...never see a white astra estate slowing down for a neb as it drives by?

How was the trip out to the Flannans? I would love to shoot for there once I get a boat and a bit of experience. I have a bit of a St.Kilda dream as well....but think that one might have to wait a few years for a bigger boat!

Thanks very much indeed for the offer of a wee trip out on the SR. I'm not sure when I'm going to be about for the next wee bit, but if I am still swithering come later in the season, that would be fantastic. Cheers
Old 22 May 2010, 03:14   #12

The St Kilda trip would be awesome but not really an option with my engine. She is pretty heavy on fuel. If i'm gunning it at 40mph I get 30nm out of 50ltr's of fuel. However if I cruise between 20-25mph I can do the same journey on 27ltrs.
Its about 55 miles each way St Kilda to Harris so I'd need about 110ltrs of fuel on board and I'd have have to keep my speed to 20mph to ensure I get home. lol Not so much fun. Also with my main engine being about 40 years old. It could be a bit to much to ask of the old girl.
The Flannan Isles is cool. We put a vid of it on youtube. Cant remember the name but I'm sure it comes up when you just search for Flannan Isles on youtube. It's just walking around the Island with some music played over it.
Old 23 May 2010, 00:41   #13

I just ended placing the 8hp next to the main on the transom, its a real tight fitagaints the Aframe, but the motors do not hit when the main is down and the aux is either up or down.
I just used the main to steer and the aux stays almost straight. I was getting around 6mph with two on board.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:57   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymac680 View Post
I pass your boats all the time on trips over to Valtos, Uig.